What's new

cron to change WiFi SSID at 11pm?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adrian O'Shea

New Around Here
pushing my luck as a newbee, got two teenage kids and want to disable their wifi at 11pm week nights (sun to thurs) and midnight friday & saturday. Comes back at 5am following day

i've seen I can cron tab turning the whole wifi off/on, but curious if i can do a ssid change which they dont know the password of night-time ssid?

ssid = daytime
day range: sunday - thurs
time range: 5am - 11pm
day range: fri - sat
time range: 5am - 11.59pm

ssid = night-time
day range: sunday - thurs
time range: 11.01pm - 4.59am
day range: fri - sat
time range: 0.01am - 4.59am

just seeing if this is viable.

thanks in advance, Adrian.

If you do “nvram show | grep ssid” you’ll find the parameters that need to be set (with nvram set name=value).

Not sure what the command is to restart the WiFi but I’m sure someone else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and change ssid to wpa_psk to find the Params to change the password (important that bit!)

will have a play round with this next weekend, i've changed my ssid and wpa PSK details obviously before posting;

admin@RT-AC68U-6F18:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ssid
wlc_ure_ssid=
wl0.2_ssid=ASUS_Guest2
wlc1_ssid=
rc_support=mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash meoVoda movistarTriple app reboot_schedule ipv6 ipv6pt PARENTAL2 dnsfilter dualwan pptpd openvpnd utf8_ssid printer modem wimax webdav rrsut cloudsync media appnet timemachine hdspindown diskutility nfsd dnssec email dblog bwdpi snmp tor HTTPS letsencrypt ssh vpnc repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn user_low_rssi bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck realip cfg_sync amas bcmwifi
wl0_ssid=daytime
wl1.2_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest2
wl_ssid=daytime
wlc_ssid=
size: 53089 bytes (12447 left)
wl0.3_ssid=ASUS_Guest3
wl0.1_ssid=night-time
wlc0_ssid=
wl1_ssid=daytime
wl1.3_ssid=ASUS_5G_Guest3
wl1.1_ssid=night-time
admin@RT-AC68U-6F18:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep wpa_psk
wl0.2_wpa_psk=
wl1.1_wpa_psk=Password#2
size: 53089 bytes (12447 left)
wl_wpa_psk=Password#1
wl0.3_wpa_psk=
wl0_wpa_psk=Password#1
wl1.2_wpa_psk=
wlc0_wpa_psk=
wlc_wpa_psk=
wl1_wpa_psk=Password#1
wl1.3_wpa_psk=
wlc1_wpa_psk=
wl0.1_wpa_psk=Password#2

Hopefully this thread gives you the WiFi radio restart part of the puzzle
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/turning-off-wireless-in-merlin.32264/

Let us know if you achieve it! I don’t need this yet but in a few years my kids will definitely be requiring similar [emoji23]

Thanks JDB, my boys are 12 & 15, latter is doing his GCSE's this year (senior school exams) and see he's still on the WiFi at 12-1am, so needs his sleep retraining.
suspect i need to write a 2x scripts (that I can call via a cron job) to change the WiFi parameters and a 3rd to simply restart the wifi.
will let you know how i get on.
thank you for the help, appreciated.
cheers, adrian