What's new

Desktop causing networking issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slosparky

New Around Here
Hello!

I need help with my LAN and Internet quality problems

I have a small home office consisting of a cable internet, Apple Airport Extreme, Vonage VoIP line, two wired desktops, and several wireless computers and devices. About two months ago, we started having Internet quality problems. VoIP calls were full of static, streaming audio or video became pointless, and downloading took 4-6 times longer. Pingtest.net tests graded my connection at a solid F. After going back and forth with the ISP, we determined that the majority of the problem linked back to one of my desktops. The prescence of this desktop on the network causes all of my other computers to suffer. Disable the NIC and the other computers come back with A's and B's on pingtest.net. Thus far, I have tried reinstalling drivers and even installing a new NIC, and nothing has fixed the problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions or insights into my problem?

If a single desktop is causing those kinds of problems my first thought would be is some rogue software involved. Does the desktop use a wired connection or a wireless connection? What OS is it running? You could download a program like Wireshark to see what data is being transmitted over the network while that desktop is connected. In my situation I would just take a look at the lights on my router to see if there is a lot of traffic when I am doing nothing. If there is I would definitely investigate with Wireshark to see where the heck the traffic is going and coming from.

00Roush

I agree with 00Roush. Update the problem system's antivirus and run a full system scan before you break out Wireshark, though.