What's new

Time Scheduling blocking internet access on newest firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrimoXD99

Occasional Visitor
Installed today morning latest 388.6 firmware on my RT-AX88U
I have few devices with Time Scheduling (for the kids obviously)
Once they were back from school (around 15:00) they started screaming "internet doesn't work" showing the following on their phones:
1706126487833.png

(name of my WiFi is wiped on above screenshot)
On PCs the following message on the NIC:
Brak dostępu do Internetu. Może być wymagana akcja. Twoje urządzenie jest podłaczone ale może być konieczne otwarcie przeglądarki w celu połączenia z Internetem.
(translation: No access to internet. Action is needed. Your device is connected but browser need to be opened in order to establish internet connection)
With the link which open a browser and the page www.msftconnecttest.com/redirect with the result on that page:
we could not verify the certificate: reason = wrongHost

Of course all of these results are inside the "allow access" time frame defined in Time Scheduling.

Once I disabled Time Scheduling on the router:
1706126886678.png

everything is back to normal.

Additional information: I checked that connection to Guest WiFi was not causing this issue.

Of course all of these results are inside the "allow access" time frame defined in Time Scheduling.
It may help if you post a screen capture of the time settings for the affected device(s).
Did you reboot the router after initially flashing the 3004.388.6 firmware?
If not, as a troubleshooting step enable the time scheduling, reboot the router and test if the time settings work properly or is broken.

It may help if you post a screen capture of the time settings for the affected device(s).
Did you reboot the router after initially flashing the 3004.388.6 firmware?
If not, as a troubleshooting step enable the time scheduling, reboot the router and test if the time settings work properly or is broken.
all kids' devices have today allow time 7:00-21:00 and they been hit by this issues described by me around 15:00 when they were back from school. I made no changes in Time Scheduling lastly and it worked.
Regarding reboot - yes, of course, reboot is initiated by the process of flashing firmware.
Today when I started troubleshooting around 16:00 I did 2 or 3 reboots before I disabled scheduling - always issue was there until I disabled scheduling - then all devices were able to access internet instantly.
I could perform more tests tomorrow if needed. I added my old phone to the list of devices in scheduling list.

If the problem happens again check that the System Time is correct on the router's System Log - General Log page.

Time is correct.
Settings on the time scheduling for each device:
1706172576551.png

When it is enabled:
1706172700433.png

then on the client device:
1706173635774.png

when Time Scheduling is Off then Internet access is granted.

Am I the only one who is facing this issue?
Is there anyone who can check this issue by simply adding scheduling and checking result?

Is there anyone who can check this issue by simply adding scheduling and checking result?
Time Scheduling seems to be working on a RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.6. One thing that does happen is the WiFi does indicate No Internet and the PC does get the "Warning! This device is now unable to access the Internet." page even though the PC does have access to the Internet during the "online" time period set out in the Time Scheduler. Websites like Google and others, including SNBForums, are reachable. Double checked disabling the Network port and reenabling it to it cycled the connection to the router. Even confirmed by enabling the wired Ethernet and disabling WiFi. Even though wired Ethernet likewise indicated no Internet connection the Internet was still accessible. And even reversed the settings so it was set to "Offline Schedule" and the client was blocked from accessing the internet. Time Scheduling still appears to work properly in all instances.

Time Scheduling.jpg

Online Time Scheduling.jpg

GoogleReachable.jpg

Couple of suggestions, if you haven't tried them already:
  • Reboot the router.
  • Delete the time scheduling entries, reboot the router, then recreate the time scheduling entries.
  • If you continue to have problems with the online time scheduling, then change it to offline time scheduling and change the times to block when they should be offline and see if their internet access works during the non offline scheduled time period.
  • Last resort is to perform a hard factory reset and manual configure without importing a saved router.cfg file. Could be something got wonky with the firmware update.
  • Also, if you are running any add-on scripts you may want to list them just incase of them is possibly somehow interfering with the time scheduling.
  • If running AiMesh or have down stream media bridge/AP nodes, should include that information as well including if client devices that don't have internet access are connected to the down stream AP or media bridge or AiMesh nodes.
  • Don't use the Asus router mobile app to setup, configure, change or delete the time scheduling settings, use a web browser. The Asus router mobile app may not work correctly with Asus-Merlin firmware.

Last edited:
"No Internet and the PC does get the "Warning! This device is now unable to access the Internet." page even though the PC does have access to the Internet during the "online" time period set out in the Time Scheduler" - thats true - accessing to internet is possible on PCs and phones... did not realized that being "attacked" by kids showing me their phones with that screen's message "requiring login/authorization" :)
But anyway - thanks for the confirmation that you see the same behavior on devices "covered" by time scheduling - it proves something has changed with latest firmware.
Despite of this annoying result (message: "requiring login/authorization") access to internet is not broken :)
Still I think it should be fixed.

Hi,
same problem here, the time scheduling allow the internet traffic but windows showing that there is no internet connection and some applications can't connect to internet despite web surfing is ok

I tested this problem on 3004.388.6_2, and the problem exists. On the management interface, you can see that there is a red blocking mark in the lower right corner of the restricted client icon, but it is not actually restricted. This client can still connect. internet.