What's new

Desktop Switch & Poweline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm looking into expanding the amount of devices connected to wired ethernet with my powerline adapter. Right now, I have a PS4 and laptop connected via wired connection. But I also want to connect a PS3 and Wii U so I was thinking of getting this to help with that. My question is, if I take the ethernet cable connected to my PS4 from the Powerline into this adapter, will I then be able to add 5 more addition devices via ethernet? To explain my current setup:

Powerline Adapter (wired) > Wireless Router

Powerline Adapter (wired from wall socket) > PS4 & Laptop

What I want to do is:

Powerline Adapter (wired from wall socket) > Desktop Switch > PS4, Wii U, Laptop, PS3

Thanks!

Just remember in the setup you propose the 5 port switch will be completely full. If you ever plan to put more there it may be worth it to purchase an 8 port (lol that's actually cheaper on Amazon than the 5 port) so you have some expansion capability.

Just remember in the setup you propose the 5 port switch will be completely full. If you ever plan to put more there it may be worth it to purchase an 8 port (lol that's actually cheaper on Amazon than the 5 port) so you have some expansion capability.

That's so strange that the 8-port is cheaper than the 5 port! Oh well, that's a no-brainer then! Is this switch good? I have several TP Link products and have had quite a positive experience with them. Hoping this is no different!

TP-Link unmanaged desktop switches are fine...

(really hard to get the wrong, after all...)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!