What's new

DHCP per SSID, openvpn policy routing questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deefa

New Around Here
Hi All,

Another very happy asuswrt-merlin user here.

I'm trying to set up one of my ASUS RT AC3200 radios to have a DHCP assigned range of IP adresses that I can use to route that SSID via the WAN, not the VPN.

Previous setup:
I have an ASUS RT AC3200 which I have used through a ADSL modem/router (not bridged, AC3200 is assigned a DHCP IP from the fritzbox, And also runs its own DHCP server for all connected devices:
(laptops, tablets, NAS, media player etc).
I run an openvpn client on the ASUS, and most ASUS LAN traffic is routed through that tunnel (One SSID for all three radios)
I also ran a separate SSID from the fritzbox (obviously not through the LAN) which gave a manual fall-back for internet access when the VPN dropped out.

Changes:
I now have a (Australian) HFC NBN connection.
I can use the RT-AC3200 to negotiate the PPPoE connection via the NBN ethernet router (my provider required setting the 'Internet' vlan ID to 2, via the ASUS IPTV gui page)
This means I can remove the ISP provided WIFI router (Huawei - this thing limited my VPN to 4Mb up/down) and only use the ASUS.

Questions:

I have set up the three ASUS radios with nicely named SSIDs (eg 5-vpn, 5-no-vpn and 2-vpn).
I want to assign a custom DHCP range to the 5-no-vpn SSID, and then use openvpn policy routing to route the 5-no-vpn SSID traffic through the WAN, skipping the VPN.
This will provide the same manual fallback when the VPN drops (which seems to occur less often now the ASUS is the PPPoE connection)

I have (already) enabled custom scripts.
I found this page: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...dicated-DHCP-options-bind-to-a-specific-SSID? which gave some good info on how to assign a specific range to one SSID.

However, after following the instructions, when changing SSIDs does not change the DHCP IP, it is always from the GUI set IP range.

The SSID I want to change is wl1, this is all I get in the system log after restarting dnsmasq:
Code:
Apr  2 14:36:43 rc_service: service 21472:notify_rc restart_dnsmasq
Apr  2 14:36:43 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
Apr  2 14:36:44 admin: dnsmasq-dhcp: Configure wl1 to have special DHCP
Apr  2 14:36:44 dnsmasq[21485]: warning: interface wl1 does not currently exist
Apr  2 14:36:44 dnsmasq[21485]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
The CLI shows no wl1 interface using 'ifconfig', is this expected?

Can anyone confirm that this (or similar) technique should work?
Anyone spot what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction.

I work with many linux flavours daily, however I'm not a networking guru. Any help appreciated!

The only offering here is that binding an SSID to a VLAN will get you kind of there...

Then managing the VLAN's to the WAN routes...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!