What's new

DIR-655: Wireless setup question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mediaman

Regular Contributor
Router works great wired.

For wireless
, its asking for a Device Ownerhsip Password. I assume this is a once-only request! ). Found and enteted, then started the "registration process", which it failed , specifically, Wi-Fi Protection Setup Wizard. Failed to get the wireless settings. Configuration failed. Settings are for WPA2, 802.11g

I can connect to my other access point no problem, also on WPA2 802.11, and I confirmdr when connected via that AP, the D-link is correctly givng out IP addresses (to wireess aad wired units) from the upper end of the range (which Ive seen before refrenced on this forum, ie, xxx.xxx.0.199, xxx.xxx.0.198, xxx.xxx. 0.197. It emailed me the logs, and all looks okay.

Suggestions ? I will turn off security completely and take it from there..

okay, issue resolved. I turned off security, then back on, then reset the profile on the laptop. All working now.

Next issue = LAN.

I assume this is small one...and a user error !

All my networked machines ( wired or wireless ) can access the internet. I can fuly acceess the router admin pages from any machne. All machines get IP addresses from router. Router is 10.68.0.1 ; machines are 10.68.0.199 ( and below). This is simialr to what I had on the old router being replaced. Netmagic see all machines and reports thier correct IP address.

HOWEVER, now, with the new router, the machines cant talk to each other. I no longer see the other machines in Windows explorer ( it tells me my workgroup is not accessible).

Does workgroup name need to be entered somewhere in the router?? I did not see a spot for it...

Next issue = LAN.

I assume this is small one...and a user error !

All my networked machines ( wired or wireless ) can access the internet. I can fuly acceess the router admin pages from any machne. All machines get IP addresses from router. Router is 10.68.0.1 ; machines are 10.68.0.199 ( and below). This is simialr to what I had on the old router being replaced. Netmagic see all machines and reports thier correct IP address.

HOWEVER, now, with the new router, the machines cant talk to each other. I no longer see the other machines in Windows explorer ( it tells me my workgroup is not accessible).

Does workgroup name need to be entered somewhere in the router?? I did not see a spot for it...

Look in the dictionary under 'Pain' and you'll see 'browsing windows machines and workgroups in windows explorer'.

I would clear all machines out and have windows re-discover the workgroup. Providing all of the machines are in the same workgroup, same subnet (10.68.0.X/8) you should be fine. But personally I hate browsing for machines in windows via the workgroup. It's slow and painful. Any machine I need to regularly access I go straight to the IP. Granted, static IP's aren't always available though. But if possible, set static addresses or reservations in the DHCP settings and go straight to IP.

Thaks , will try thouse options.

But the reference to windows explorer was just an example.... I cannot even ping to other machines.

Also, re reservations, see attached.

Attachments

• dhcp.jpg
    dhcp.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 621
I found that WPA2 with G-only mode reduced the dbm signal and gone back to WPA AES for security. WPA2 AES more for Draft-N 300mbps cards. Are you see your wireless clients and your wired clients in the DHCP client table. Are all your systems XP?

What are your DHCP server settings?

Go to one of your machines and tell me the following info from it:

IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server:
DNS Server:

What are your DHCP server settings?

Go to one of your machines and tell me the following info from it:

IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server:
DNS Server:

Based on running ipconfig/all from one of the machines:

IP Address:10.68.0.192
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.68.0.1
DHCP Server:10.68.0.1
DNS Server:10.68.0.1

OK- all machines now have static IP's with DHCP reservations

All machines are XP except main machine is Vista

I can now ping to other machines by thier P address.....but not by thier computer names. ie, from 10.68.0.191, I can "ping 10.68.0.192" (and get a response), but I cannot "ping -a MOM" (even though that name is captured in the DHCP reservation table).

As well, I still cannot see the list of machines from explorer....how do I "rediscover the workgroup" ?

OK- all machines now have static IP's with DHCP reservations

All machines are XP except main machine is Vista

I can now ping to other machines by thier P address.....but not by thier computer names. ie, from 10.68.0.191, I can "ping 10.68.0.192" (and get a response), but I cannot "ping -a MOM" (even though that name is captured in the DHCP reservation table).

As well, I still cannot see the list of machines from explorer....how do I "rediscover the workgroup" ?

Make sure you assign Master Browser to one PC in this case your Vista. Otherwise all the PCs will act as the Master Browser. You only need one.
If you download Browstat then drop that into Windows folder. orb, run type: cmd then type: browstat - status it will tell you the condition of your network and if it can find the master browser.

Can be found here, as it's a free tool from Microsoft
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html

I can tell you how to make sure all your PCs are not acting as the Master Browser.

If you go into the services.msc
change Computer Browser from start/disabled, but set it to Manual
Change Network Connections to start and automatic

The one PC that acts as the main Master Browser would have:
Computer Browser started/enabled and set to automatic
Network Connections to started/enabled and set to automatic

The IP info looks ok. Thanks.

I practically never ping by host name, always by IP. Pinging by IP keeps you from getting tangled in MS network browsing hassles while you are trying to determine if the TCP/IP level connection is working.

I suspect you have a master browser issue, possibly complicated by the Vista machine. Give this a try.

TIpster, Thanks. Yes, per an earlier note from Tim Higgins (Tim, thanks) I am now familiar with the computer browser recommnedations. I did those last week. Computer Browser is only running on the vista. And it worked fine with my old router. I thought perhaps it may need a reset, so I "stopped", then "started" the service , but it didn’t help.

Given all I did was change routers, I assume it must be related to that….but suppose I could power down everything and reboot in the hope that might work. I will re-read the reference link above.

Last edited:
So you just have the one Vista box and the rest are XP. No Server in the mix? I made the first Server as the master browser and the second server as the backup master browser. XP Pro, XP MCE and Vista Business are none master browser and it works that way. I is the Vista running Server 2008 or just Vista Basic, HP, B, U, E-64-bit?

Does your Vista Network Map discovery see all the PCs including the wireles router, and your 3 wireless access point on the grid?

I practically never ping by host name, always by IP. Pinging by IP keeps you from getting tangled in MS network browsing hassles while you are trying to determine if the TCP/IP level connection is working.

+1. That pretty much sums it up.

I'd recommend sticking to IP's whenever possible. In a home network scenario, it's pretty much just as easy to remember 4 or 5 IP's as opposed to the baggage that comes with MS's network browsing. Come up with a semi-logical adressing scheme and it's even easier. IP's ftw.

When you changed routers, though, didn't you change the IP address scheme?

The router should not have anything to do with the browsing process. For anything on the LAN, the router is just a switch and doesn't participate in the MS browsing "conversations".

So you just have the one Vista box and the rest are XP. No Server in the mix?
Correct

I made the first Server as the master browser and the second server as the backup master browser. XP Pro, XP MCE and Vista Business are none master browser and it works that way.
With the old router I has only the Vista machine as Master Browse and it worked fine. But it doesnt work now.

is the Vista running Server 2008 or just Vista Basic, HP, B, U, E-64-bit?
Just Vista Home Edition Premium

Does your Vista Network Map discovery see all the PCs including the wireles router, and your 3 wireless access point on the grid?
NO. NOT AT ALL. All I see is a link with the hsot name of my vista machnes, and a link for the router.

I'd recommend sticking to IP's whenever possible.
Agree. Easy enough. For now I jsut create a few shortcust to each computer. So I can access them an ping them but I cannot browse for them, or select them from a lsit, or map a drive. A ton of my scrotps/batch files no longer work, so I really need to fix this

...and as well I cannot see my machines on the XP PCs either.. When I go to "Entire Netwrok", it gets me to my workgroup, but when I click on the workgroup, it tkaes about 30 seconds and I get the attached.

Yet all PC's (IP addresses and host names) are correclty shown on the router pages, and I can create shortcuts to them...just not accesible in the way I need them to be.

I suppose I can trouble shoot further and turn off the 655, and put back my old router and see if it all comes back......

Attachments

• workgroup.jpg
    workgroup.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 586
Didn't you change IP address scheme when you changed routers?
If you did, you could try changing back to the old scheme with the new router.

Did you verify that there is only one master browser on your network?

Didn't you change IP address scheme when you changed routers?
If you did, you could try changing back to the old scheme with the new router.?
No. Even on my old router I used to be on 192.168.0.1,. I changed it to 10.68.01.1 on THAT router first to test it out. It worked fine. I then shut down that router and intalled the DIR 655.

Did you verify that there is only one master browser on your network?
Yes, and I shut down all machines and am now wroking with only two.

I guess i could try
- going back to old router and see waht happens
- stick with new router, factory settings.

But something is amiss as I know longer see, on vista, my workgroup anywhere ( ie its not under netwroks), The only reference to it is under Control Panel System Computer Name

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!