What's new

Disable Spanning Tree Protocol

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
How can i disable Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) from my RT N66U ?

nvram set lan_stp=0
nvram set lan0_stp=0
nvram commit
reboot

nvram set lan_stp=0
nvram set lan0_stp=0
nvram commit
reboot

Thank you for the response :) Question 2. how do i implement that code to do so?! ha :D

I am asking because it was recommended to do so if I am using a Teaming protocol.

Thank you for the response :) Question 2. how do i implement that code to do so?! ha :D

I am asking because it was recommended to do so if I am using a Teaming protocol.

You only need to run these commands once, it will be stored in nvram, and be properly applied at boot time. Enable the Telnet server on the System page, then connect to the router through Telnet (download Putty if you need a free telnet client for Windows).

I'm 100% new to that stuff, is it difficult?

I gotta run a do a few things, i'll be back in a few, thanks for your help so far!

p.s. I'm going to follow this page on how to install Telnet and try it from there. Will report back if i'm stuck, muchos gracious

I'm 100% new to that stuff, is it difficult?

I gotta run a do a few things, i'll be back in a few, thanks for your help so far!

p.s. I'm going to follow this page on how to install Telnet and try it from there. Will report back if i'm stuck, muchos gracious

Downloading Putty will probably be more user-friendly than installing the telnet client (which is no longer installed by default in Windows).

An alternative is to run the commands one at a time by accessing this hidden page (set the IP to match your router's IP):

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Ah. Got the right idea now. Downloaded Putty and am on the right track, thanks again!

Holy crap, that worked! Checked it with Wireshark and I am now not seeing the STP protocol flooding the network.

Are there any other ways to strip down the traffic on the router? I'm looking to make it a lean and mean router for Gaming.

Holy crap, that worked! Checked it with Wireshark and I am now not seeing the STP protocol flooding the network.

Are there any other ways to strip down the traffic on the router? I'm looking to make it a lean and mean router for Gaming.

I believe radvd is now enabled by default. You could disable it on the IPv6 page if that's the case (check for the Router advertising option there).

If you'd like to start playing with the TCP/IP settings to tweak things down to your taste, I would recommend switching to my customized firmware. Most TCP/IP settings can be adjusted through the webui - similar to what DD-WRT offers.

I will probably look into making the STP option configurable through the webui in the future (I didn't even know the router had that option enabled until you made me look for it in the code :) )

I believe radvd is now enabled by default. You could disable it on the IPv6 page if that's the case (check for the Router advertising option there).

If you'd like to start playing with the TCP/IP settings to tweak things down to your taste, I would recommend switching to my customized firmware. Most TCP/IP settings can be adjusted through the webui - similar to what DD-WRT offers.

I will probably look into making the STP option configurable through the webui in the future (I didn't even know the router had that option enabled until you made me look for it in the code :) )

Where can I get your customized firmware?

I noticed the IPv6 advertisement was still advertising back on the .220 firmware update, even while being disabled. Haven't looked for it on the latest firmware though.

Also, you helped me out before with trying to enable ECN which the game server I play on checks for it - found out via Wireshark and I don't know which code enabled ECN. You wrote down 2 different ones:

1st: /tmp/home/root# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn 0
2nd: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Check in the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum here - the section is dedicated to it, with information and links.

How do I enable ECN again? the game server I play on checks for it.

How do I enable ECN again? the game server I play on checks for it.

The first command you posted will report the current value (remove that trailing "0" from there tho), and the second one should enable it (assuming the kernel supports that option, I have no idea if it does).

That setting won't survive reboots however. To reapply it automatically at boot time, enable JFFS, and create a firewall-start network script, with:

#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

See the Wiki for more info on JFFS and user scripts.

I noticed the IPv6 advertisement was still advertising back on the .220 firmware update, even while being disabled. Haven't looked for it on the latest firmware though.

Also, you helped me out before with trying to enable ECN which the game server I play on checks for it - found out via Wireshark and I don't know which code enabled ECN. You wrote down 2 different ones:

1st: /tmp/home/root# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn 0
2nd: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
Right here;

<https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/downloads>

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!