What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, May 09, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diversion and Unbound are both vanilla setups. The only changes being made to my unbound.conf file is when my VPN private IP changes after reconnecting so it knows where to send DNS Query traffic. I don't believe I've made any other changes, but I'd be happy to send that to you via PM?

Then, using a combination of (1) looking at the live raw Unbound log traffic (enabling "lo" under Unbound to show full logging), (2) following the dnsmasq log in Diversion (using "f" option), and seeing that lookups are using port #53535, the (3) always helpful dnscheck.tools website, along with (4) Eibgrad's DNS Monitor script... all of these can help you determine if things are working the way you want them to when it comes to DNS.

Example from Diversion dnsmasq log:
Code:
Jan  3 15:34:47 dnsmasq[13563]: forwarded connectivitycheck.gstatic.com to 127.0.0.1#53535

Example from Unbound showing full logs:
Code:
Jan 03 11:37:11 unbound[13297:0] query: 127.0.0.1 connectivitycheck.gstatic.com. A IN
Jan 03 11:37:11 unbound[13297:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 connectivitycheck.gstatic.com. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 63
Jan 03 11:37:11 unbound[13297:0] query: 127.0.0.1 connectivitycheck.gstatic.com. AAAA IN
Jan 03 11:37:11 unbound[13297:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 connectivitycheck.gstatic.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 47
Thanks for such a clear and cocise explanation of your setup. Super informitive!
This seems well worth checking out and big thanks to @thelonelycoder for this latest release!

I hope you enjoy your time. Relax and get a well deserved rest. Thank you for these awesome changes you have brought to Diversion.
As mentioned before, this IS a work trip. I have a rare problem at hand that’s been lingering for weeks in the customers system. I just had no time to come sooner. I found the effect of the problem yesterday but the exact cause has not reveiled itself. I’m going to build a test setup in the morning to try and recreate it.

As mentioned before, this IS a work trip. I have a rare problem at hand that’s been lingering for weeks in the customers system. I just had no time to come sooner. I found the effect of the problem yesterday but the exact cause has not reveiled itself. I’m going to build a test setup in the morning to try and recreate it.

Much admiration for you, @thelonelycoder... for being flown out to the Canaries to fix customers systems in person! I know you will get it and be back home again soon! Best of luck to you squashing the bugs! :)

Saw diversion had a minor update so I updated. Got a long pause here
IMG_0003.jpeg

Then a wget error 4 - do I need to update opkg or anything manually?
IMG_0004.jpeg

With latest version (5.0) not all ads are blocked.

And Diversionstats has been broken.

Any way to make a downgrade to 4.3.3?

Could you show me your config for this setup?

I use diversion and unbound in default installation... Curious to learn if there is some setting or parameter I need to change...
I used the default setup for Unbound - it is working very well.

Try changing the entware repository to one of the the other options
Thanks that worked! I used thelonelycoder mirror and then did a forced update. No stall or wget error. I have banned China in SkyNet so that probably generates the error as a Chinese mirror is listed.
1704378742916.png

Thanks that worked! I used thelonelycoder mirror and then did a forced update. No stall or wget error. I have banned China in SkyNet so that probably generates the error as a Chinese mirror is listed.
View attachment 55293
Seems some others were having trouble reaching bin.entware.net around the end of the year... or it could be due to some aggressive blacklist you may have running as well. Might want to add it to your skynet/diversion whitelist.

I am using a large block list in diversion, but as I see in logs, even the unbound AdBlock list is doing its work ...
1704379740789.png

So it must be true what Confucius say:- "The man who loves his job never works a day in his life."🤪

With latest version (5.0) not all ads are blocked.

And Diversionstats has been broken.

Any way to make a downgrade to 4.3.3?
Reset your blocking files. then try one of the pre-selected blocking lists to see if that works. If it works, make sure that your lists are compatible with the new Diversion. Everything should work the same in the latest version, there is no reason to downgrade.

Hey i keep getting this error when installing:

At the end of install it repeats

Waiting for blocking list entry...

Then it times out

Also, i am not seeing the diversion tab in the UI anymore under the LAN tab like normal.

RT-AX86U

Last edited:

Then it times out

Also, i am not seeing the diversion tab in the UI anymore under the LAN tab like normal.

RT-AX86U
Your blocking lists may not be compatible with the new Diversion?
Update to one of the new included ones perhaps…..

Then it times out

RT-AX86U

Your blocking lists may not be compatible with the new Diversion?
Update to one of the new included ones perhaps…..
It's all the default "Standard" and even tried the "Small". Happens both times on fresh install. Just a a weird error i cant seem to figure out

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!