What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it necessary to do so? DNS Filter Global Router mode is on for me. I considered turning it off because Stubby gave me a warning during installation.
Good question. It might not be necessary but I think if DNS Filter is, indeed, set to global router, then everything (or almost everything (eg hard-coded Rokus)) must go to the router for its DNS direction; that’s as I understand it. (Reminds me of maths phraseology: the way I see it, it’s not necessary but it is sufficient!). I don’t do Stubby: after getting my fingers burned with DNSCrypt, I’ve drawn the line at Skynet, Diversion and pixelserv-tls, and, of course, AMTM.). But I could easily be wrong.

Anybody seeing this with pixelserv-tls website....

Mar 9 01:52:29 dnsmasq[7877]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: erx.kazoo.ga
Mar 9 01:52:30 dnsmasq[7877]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: erx.kazoo.ga

Anybody seeing this with pixelserv-tls website....

That IP resolves to a LAN IP (192.168.1.10), so rebind protection is working as intended - it will report any public hostname that resolves to a LAN IP.

Hi, my router again was rebooted by power outage on my neighborhood. After my router started I've found again pixelserv-tls did not started.
Tried reinstalling on top the current installation but mothing worked.
Installation tells to check syslog and only get this:

Mar 12 03:56:04 Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings, from /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
Mar 12 03:56:58 kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
Mar 12 03:57:09 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:57:09 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Started pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /root/diversion
Mar 12 03:57:10 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:57:10 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Started pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /root/diversion
Mar 12 03:58:32 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:58:32 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Failed to start pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /opt/bin/diversion

USB drive is formatted in ext4 as always, with amtm and diversion. Also the amtm options such as chkdsk etc are enabled.

I'm not at home so any remote way to solve it would help a lot. Thanks!

PS: thought on using amtm format tool but looking on something else first

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Hi, my router again was rebooted by power outage on my neighborhood. After my router started I've found again pixelserv-tls did not started.
Tried reinstalling on top the current installation but mothing worked.
Installation tells to check syslog and only get this:

Mar 12 03:56:04 Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings, from /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
Mar 12 03:56:58 kernel: usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
Mar 12 03:57:09 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:57:09 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Started pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /root/diversion
Mar 12 03:57:10 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:57:10 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Started pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /root/diversion
Mar 12 03:58:32 Diversion: created br0:pixelserv-tls 192.168.1.2, from /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls
Mar 12 03:58:32 Entware (armv7sf-k2.6): Failed to start pixelserv-tls (Diversion) from /opt/bin/diversion

USB drive is formatted in ext4 as always, with amtm and diversion. Also the amtm options such as chkdsk etc are enabled.

I'm not at home so any remote way to solve it would help a lot. Thanks!

PS: thought on using amtm format tool but looking on something else first

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Did you try rebooting? What does the disk checker log say in amtm?

D
Did you try rebooting? What does the disk checker log say in amtm?

dcl in amtm says:

Sat May 5 02:05:21 GMT 2018 Unknown filesystem type on /dev/sda1 - skipping check.

Sat May 5 02:05:21 GMT 2018 Unknown filesystem type on /dev/sda1 - skipping check.

Sun Mar 3 06:03:29 GMT 2019 Unknown filesystem type on /dev/sda1 - skipping check.

D

dcl in amtm says:

Sun Mar 3 06:03:29 GMT 2019 Unknown filesystem type on /dev/sda1 - skipping check.

That looks like your answer? The power surge/outage fried your USB drive.

Looks like a good UPS is in order?

D

dcl in amtm says:

Either you have a corrupt drive or a file system on it that is not supported. EXT* file systems are supported only.

D

dcl in amtm says:

Did any of the previous checks run sucessfully for those partitioms?
If not, the usb device and its partitions are not compatible with the amtm disk check.
You could plug the device into a Linux nox and run the checker there.
The amtm disk checker can only use system binaries. Better tools are available through Entware. But they are not available while the device is unmounted and that's when the check runs.

Did any of the previous checks run sucessfully for those partitioms?
If not, the usb device and its partitions are not compatible with the amtm disk check.
You could plug the device into a Linux nox and run the checker there.
The amtm disk checker can only use system binaries. Better tools are available through Entware. But they are not available while the device is unmounted and that's when the check runs.

These were the only checks the log has. I can format it with amtm option, right?

These were the only checks the log has. I can format it with amtm option, right?
You can but only if the whole USB drive will be one partition and filesystem. This is the official recommendation. However, I highly recommend against it. The next time I redo my USB drive I will use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to:
  • Initialize it as GPT rather than MBR
  • Create a 3 GB Entware partition
    • journaled ext4 filesystem
    • 4K cluster size
    • aligned
    • From router, enable frequent full disk checks on router reboot with tune2fs -c 1 -i 1d
  • Create a Samba partition with the rest of (full disk minus 10%)
    • 4K cluster size
    • aligned
    • From router, disable full disk checks with tune2fs -c 0 -i 0
    • Manually run full disk checks with e2fsck from router

I had this same issue happen to me twice and the only remedy I could find to fix it was to uninstall diversion and reinstall, it only happens if I mess with something that adjust the dnsmasq. I can tell when it happens as well because I will try to putty into diversion and diversion will take for ever to load.. my DNS Filter is on but I have it set globally to NO Filter.

You can but only if the whole USB drive will be one partition and filesystem. This is the official recommendation. However, I highly recommend against it. The next time I redo my USB drive I will use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to:
  • Initialize it as GPT rather than MBR
  • Create a 3 GB Entware partition
    • 4K cluster size
    • aligned
    • From router, enable frequent full disk checks on router reboot with tune2fs -c 1 -i 1d
  • Create a Samba partition with the rest of (full disk minus 10%)
    • 4K cluster size
    • aligned
    • From router, disable full disk checks with tune2fs -c 0 -i 0
    • Manually run full disk checks with e2fsck from router

I have a 16GB usb drive with only one full partition. Idon't use it as storage anymore because I have a NAS in my LAN.
Since I'm travelling I think I'm going to try amtm format tool this time.

Update: format tool inside amtm worked just perfect. I have now reinstalled diversion and everything is working again now

Last edited:
I have a 16GB usb drive with only one full partition. Idon't use it as storage anymore because I have a NAS in my LAN.

Update: format tool inside amtm worked just perfect. I have now reinstalled diversion and everything is working again now

You gotta love fd amtm :p The only remaining issue is sometimes amtm can’t format due to resource busy error and tells user to fix it :( It happened to me recently. Instead of trying to manually find and kill the processes utilising the disk, the easiest brute-force solution I found is to unmount from the web GUI, follow wiki guide to zero the disk, reboot router, then amtm fd will work!

^^^THIS^^^ @EmeraldDeer, your suggestion is very good IF the user is going to use the flash drive as an SMB share. For someone who has a separate NAS , your suggestion really isn't relevant. Keep in mind that the router was never intended to be a NAS, although for low usage it should be fine, and using a flash drive for such is dangerous. Of course one can connect a USB spinning disk or SSD, which would be much safer.

^^^THIS^^^ @EmeraldDeer, your suggestion is very good IF the user is going to use the flash drive as an SMB share. For someone who has a separate NAS , your suggestion really isn't relevant. Keep in mind that the router was never intended to be a NAS, although for low usage it should be fine, and using a flash drive for such is dangerous. Of course one can connect a USB spinning disk or SSD, which would be much safer.
What is important is for the Entware filesystem to not exceed about 3 GB

By default we get a large Entware filesystem that will not have a full check until the twentieth boot (check tune2fs). When that full check happens, users do not know what has happened to the router after the reboot. What is the absolute worst thing you can do to a filesystem? Yes, power cycle during an fsck. But that is what the default leads to.

So my suggestion is to make a 3 GB Entware filesystem which always gets full checked and does so within a few seconds. Disable automatic e2fsck on the filesystem(s) which use the rest of the USB drive space.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!