What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

do you have any idea why? Because i've only installed diversion and after the installation, my bandwidth decreased. I did a speedtest before and after the installation.
To test, just disable Diversion by entering d and select Disable.
Then do your tests again. I doubt it will produce any other result.

Ben_, you are so very close. :)

You need to change your LAN-DHCP Server settings to:
IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.1.3
IP Pool Ending Address 192.168.1.200

Then pixelserv-tls will have 'room' for itself at 192.168.1.2 and your manually assigned IP's from x.x.x.201 to x.x.x.235 won't be able to conflict either with the DHCP assigned range too. ;)
I don't think this is necessary since it's part of the LAN DHCP setup page. He's not statically assigning an IP, he's creating Manual DHCP assignments in the GUI.

I don't think this is necessary since it's part of the LAN DHCP setup page. He's not statically assigning an IP, he's creating Manual DHCP assignments in the GUI.

Many posts on this. It is necessary. Statically assigned IP and Manual DHCP assignments are just interchangeable terms. :)

Hmm...not always interchangeable terms: a statically assigned IP on the client side will need to be outside the DHCP range, to avoid the possibility of the DHCP server assigning the same address.
Better to refer to the two terms as completly separate items, which they rightly are by "pure" definitions.

Hmm...not always interchangeable terms: a statically assigned IP on the client side will need to be outside the DHCP range, to avoid the possibility of the DHCP server assigning the same address.
Better to refer to the two terms as completly separate items, which they rightly are by "pure" definitions.

I'm talking more how the Asus routers work here. 'Pure' definitions have a way of being mangled by manufacturers to daze and confuse their users so that they seem to have an advantage of some sort, whether real or not. :)

This has nothing to do with the mangled/distorted terminology created by the manufacturers, it is a fundamental truth of networking: DHCP assigned addresses must not collide with true manual/static assigned IP adresses that are created on the client side. To conflate the two types will only lead to trouble. Yes, manual assignments can be made in the router GUI for DHCP: these should be inside the DHCP range. True client side static assigned IPs should be outside the DHCP range. This is also an explanation for why the Pixelserve IP has to be outside the DHCP range.

This has nothing to do with the mangled/distorted terminology created by the manufacturers, it is a fundamental truth of networking: DHCP assigned addresses must not collide with true manual/static assigned IP adresses that are created on the client side. To conflate the two types will only lead to trouble. Yes, manual assignments can be made in the router GUI for DHCP: these should be inside the DHCP range. True client side static assigned IPs should be outside the DHCP range. This is also an explanation for why the Pixelserve IP has to be outside the DHCP range.

You're still repeating definitions. I'm trying to tell you how Asus router's work, IME. ;)

Ben_, you are so very close. :)

You need to change your LAN-DHCP Server settings to:
IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.1.3
IP Pool Ending Address 192.168.1.200

Then pixelserv-tls will have 'room' for itself at 192.168.1.2 and your manually assigned IP's from x.x.x.201 to x.x.x.235 won't be able to conflict either with the DHCP assigned range too. ;)

OK, I'm lost!

For the longest time I was told I should always assign an IP (manual IP) address from within the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (e.g. manually assign 192.168.1.201 to 1st PC, 192.168.1.202 to 2nd PC and 192.168.1.221 to FireTV etc).

Now that Diversion is taking up 192.168.1.2 and the IP Pool Starting Address is now 192.168.1.3, shouldn't the IP Pool Ending Address be 192.168.1.354? and I should change the manual IP from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.354? (e.g. manually assign 192.168.1.301 to 1st PC, 192.168.1.302 to 2nd PC and 192.168.1.321 to FireTV etc).

No, the entire range for the last three digits only runs from .1 to .254 (with 255 reserved as a special broadcast address), so there are no addresses ever above those.

OK, I'm lost!

For the longest time I was told I should always assign an IP (manual IP) address from within the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (e.g. manually assign 192.168.1.201 to 1st PC, 192.168.1.202 to 2nd PC and 192.168.1.221 to FireTV etc).

Now that Diversion is taking up 192.168.1.2 and the IP Pool Starting Address is now 192.168.1.3, shouldn't the IP Pool Ending Address be 192.168.1.354? and I should change the manual IP from 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.354? (e.g. manually assign 192.168.1.301 to 1st PC, 192.168.1.302 to 2nd PC and 192.168.1.321 to FireTV etc).

192.168.x.x is a 16-bit block of Private IP range and it includes IP addresses from 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 so .354 is not a valid IP range.

In your example 192.168.1.1 is reserved for your router.
192.168.1.2 is reserved for Pixelserv-TLS ( Diversion is using that IP for Pixelserv-TLS in reality )

And since you're using 255.255.255.0 as your subnet mask you're left with 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.254 for your other devices in the network.

You can either let DHCP assign them Automatically to your connected devices or you can manually assign them like:

192.168.1.3 to Device 1
192.168.1.4 to device 2
And so on upto
192.168.1.254 to device XYZ.

192.168.x.x is a 16-bit block of Private IP range and it includes IP addresses from 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 so .354 is not a valid IP range.

In your example 192.168.1.1 is reserved for your router.
192.168.1.2 is reserved for Pixelserv-TLS ( Diversion is using that IP for Pixelserv-TLS in reality )

And since you're using 255.255.255.0 as your subnet mask you're left with 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.254 for your other devices in the network.

You can either let DHCP assign them Automatically to your connected devices or you can manually assign them like:

192.168.1.3 to Device 1
192.168.1.4 to device 2
And so on upto
192.168.1.254 to device XYZ.

OK, thanks, this is something I can understand.

My settings below leave them as it is?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    49.1 KB · Views: 369
OK, thanks, this is something I can understand.

My settings below leave them as it is?

Yes everything looks ok, also why not start the assignments from .3 and increment it from there instead of starting from higher range. Though it won't do any harm it just looks pleasing and easier to manage if you have more devices.

Yes everything looks ok, also why not start the assignments from .3 and increment it from there instead of starting from higher range. Though it won't do any harm it just looks pleasing and easier to manage if you have more devices.

OK, will do.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/manually-assigned-ip-around-the-dhcp-list.33137/#post-266083

This is what I thought I was remembering correctly. :oops:

Apologies to all for the confusion.

If you're doing the manual assignments directly on router it doesn't matter if it's within the DHCP range or not, router will not push the manual assigned IP address to any other devices on your network. That precaution is only for static assignments on cleint side where DHCP can't know if the address is already occupied or not.

Mine appear random because the numbers mean something to me. :) On my computer the last number is my birth year, my wife's is hers, etc. But not all my devices are manually set. I also notice DHCP seems to give out random numbers so I wonder if there's a reason for that.

I suspect that DHCP is smart enough not to hand out addresses that are already "owned" by a client that sets a static IP. For years I've had static and manual devices inside my IP range and I've never had a router try to give out an address that was already statically defined by a client.

Mine appear random because the numbers mean something to me. :) On my computer the last number is my birth year, my wife's is hers, etc. But not all my devices are manually set. I also notice DHCP seems to give out random numbers so I wonder if there's a reason for that.

I suspect that DHCP is smart enough not to hand out addresses that are already "owned" by a client that sets a static IP. For years I've had static and manual devices inside my IP range and I've never had a router try to give out an address that was already statically defined by a client.

The DHCP server generates the list of available IP addresses from a hash table. This means that the addresses are not sorted in any particular order and whenever a cleint connects to a network it'll send a DHCPDiscover broadcast on the network to see if there's any DHCP server available. If DHCP server is present it'll send a layer 2 packet to the newly connected client and offer him with a list of possible IP addresses (DHCPOffer). The cleint can either accept it or reject it but usually in all cases cleint accept the offer and send back DHCPRequest packet to show the consent, DHCP server will send DHCPAck packet back to the client and mark the supplied IP address as no longer available until the lease expires.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!