What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, sorry to bother but i wanted to know if it's possible to partition the usb disk and use one ntfs for the asus dlna server and one ext4 for all scripts.

Hi, sorry to bother but i wanted to know if it's possible to partition the usb disk and use one ntfs for the asus dlna server and one ext4 for all scripts.
I have not tried this but I speculate that it would work.
It it were me, I would create the following partitions/filesystems:
  • 1 GB ext4 labelled ent for Entware
  • 1 GB ext4 labelled swp for swap file
  • The rest ntfs labelled smb (or dln) for Samba and DLNA
Why bother with a separate swap filesystem? Because the swap file and even the swap filesystem could be recreated if need be while the router is fully functional (though Skynet would temporarily be disabled). You want to minimize the corruption exposure of the Entware filesystem. Also you want to minimize the duration of a full e2fsck of the Entware fileystem on reboot.

I did test this scenario using a Windows computer and amtm. Short version: did not work. :(

I formatted a 256 USB drive as NTFS in Windows. I then used the Windows Disk Manager to partition it to two partitions, first = 32GB and the second the remainder. No problems up to this point.

I then put this in the router which I had already installed amtm to the jffs partition and tried to create an Ext4 partition with journaling on the 32GB partition. It seemed like it was going to work, but when the router rebooted, it had formatted the whole drive as Ext4 with journaling.

The warnings were clear that this would happen, this isn't a complaint about amtm, but I had to test it myself to see. :)

I did test this scenario using a Windows computer and amtm. Short version: did not work. :(

I formatted a 256 USB drive as NTFS in Windows. I then used the Windows Disk Manager to partition it to two partitions, first = 32GB and the second the remainder. No problems up to this point.

I then put this in the router which I had already installed amtm to the jffs partition and tried to create an Ext4 partition with journaling on the 32GB partition. It seemed like it was going to work, but when the router rebooted, it had formatted the whole drive as Ext4 with journaling.

The warnings were clear that this would happen, this isn't a complaint about amtm, but I had to test it myself to see. :)
Right, it would be possible with fdisk or MiniTool Partition Wizard, but amtm will only create one big partition/filesystem.

It seemed like it was going to work, but when the router rebooted, it had formatted the whole drive as Ext4 with journaling.
So there are some sort of check in amtm that will cause this?
To resolve this there is something that could be done?

Thanks all for the replies.

.... it'll send a layer 2 packet to the newly connected client and offer him with a list of possible IP addresses (DHCPOffer). The cleint can either accept it or reject it...,.

Him? Or her?

Watch out L&LD: you’ll have the Association for Respect for Sexual Equality (A.R.S.E.) on your back! ;)

This is done by considering the limited built in features available in the firmware. I have to assume Entware with better tools is not available during format disk for obvious reasons. Partitioning a device is tricky so I chose the safest option: To create one single partition on the device. There is no way around that limitation in amtm and plenty of warning is given as @L&LD confirmed above.

Last edited:

Amtm will not interfere if you partition and make filesystems with fdisk or MiniTool Partition Wizard.

The problem was when using amtm "Format disk".

Sorry to all i made a mistake. I was thinking that for some strange reason merlinwrt would not support ext4 because the format can be made just with ntfs and fat. I've tested now at home and mediaserver, smb and ftp are working just fine for my needs.
I've also enabled the swap file as EmeraldDeer suggested.
Thanks for your responses, and sorry for wasting your time.

The only problem is that i'm unable to update pixelserv-tls to latest beta. It seems that is not compatible with DSL-AC68U binaries or something like that, the message just disappear too fast.
I will try later to take a snapshot or check the log files.

The only problem is that i'm unable to update pixelserv-tls to latest beta. It seems that is not compatible with DSL-AC68U binaries or something like that, the message just disappear too fast.
I will try later to take a snapshot or check the log files.
You should be able to scroll up in the terminal to see the errors.

Thanks, i've resolved everything and it's working just fine.
May be unrelated to your response, but :confused:

User question on a forum (OP): Look here, I have this really weird thing happen whenever I do this: <screenshot.jpg>
Helpful other users: Do this, do that, maybe try worst case-method.
More back and forth from all parties involved
OP responds: All's well, I fixed it (no further explanation or solution given).
Rest of the forum: ????

User question on a forum (OP): Look here, I have this really weird thing happen whenever I do this: <screenshot.jpg>
Possible cause for that...embarrass as it was a simple fix that they should have noticed before asking....not sure how to explain it due to not understanding how it works...or redid what someone suggested??

Possible cause for that...embarrass as it was a simple fix that they should have noticed before asking....not sure how to explain it due to not understanding how it works...or redid what someone suggested??
As I said, it _may_ be unrelated to the quoted user.

For those that see what I did in this el screenshot. Coming sooner or later to a router near you.
Two have it enabled, the last is about to be (re)enabled:

qoQqWNZ.png

Edit:
To complete the picture, when enabled you get this selection:

UMYZgLj.png

You centered the motives.

You right sorry, i did just make a mistake selecting armv8 instead of armv7 because i've misread rt88u with rt68u.
I have serious view loss and my glasses where just a bit dirty, also today was a very tiring day and with the hurry to get it up i've make a lot of stupid mistakes and asked here instead of trying and testing carefully.
Really sorry about that.

Last edited:
You right sorry, i did just make a mistake selecting armv8 instead of armv7 because i've misread rt88u with rt68u.
I have serious view loss and my glasses where just a bit dirty, also today was a very tiring day and with the hurry to get it up i've make a lot of stupid mistakes and asked here instead of trying and testing carefully.
Really sorry about that.
@Massimo93 I do not think there is a need to apologize. Many of us have personal limitations, like bad eyesight or being much older than most here, and computer networking is much harder to grasp. I have to change my terminals to white with black text to see thelonelycoder info in both amtm & Diversion, because the dark grey on black is simply and completely unreadable to me, due to poor eyesight.

Many times people here just need to be patient and realize that some have far less networking knowledge, yet our desire to learn is high, we just stumble on what is easy for most at SNB. I do agree that posting the solutions, whether from misunderstanding, not understanding, or as is often the case, culture and language differences, is very good, regardless of how we find it in the end. Cheers, good job, and thank you.

@Massimo93 I do not think there is a need to apologize. Many of us have personal limitations, like bad eyesight or being much older than most here, and computer networking is much harder to grasp. I have to change my terminals to white with black text to see thelonelycoder info in both amtm & Diversion, because the dark grey on black is simply and completely unreadable to me, due to poor eyesight.

Many times people here just need to be patient and realize that some have far less networking knowledge, yet our desire to learn is high, we just stumble on what is easy for most at SNB. I do agree that posting the solutions, whether from misunderstanding, not understanding, or as is often the case, culture and language differences, is very good, regardless of how we find it in the end. Cheers, good job, and thank you.

What a beautiful soul!

You centered the motives.

Really sorry about that.
No need to apologize. The main thing is to keep giving back to the community either by reading or adding to other's post. I've learned a lot and will admit that I was a "creeper" way before I was a poster on these forums. Seeing some user's knowledge of things can be intimidating but everyone here wants to help you. Wasn't long ago I was in the single digits for posts. :)

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!