What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have tried to google 'HND based code' for Asus routers but nothing comes up. Is there a link with a description/definition of this somewhere on our forums here?

Of course, there are about 16 links in the changelog to 'HND' but I haven't seen it being described anywhere?

Last edited:
HND: Broadcom's SOC's (System on chip) HND series (Home Networking Division). It includes BCM42XX, BCM44XX, and BCM47XX SOCs. BCM presumably stands for Broadcom.

Above info brought to you by DCB (Diversion Coding Bureau), a Division of TLC (thelonelycoder), a leading independent coding entity for ad-blocking and simplification software for routers running ...

... that's enough, I'll stop right here.

HND: Broadcom's SOC's (System on chip) HND series (Home Networking Division). It includes BCM42XX, BCM44XX, and BCM47XX SOCs. BCM presumably stands for Broadcom.

Above info brought to you by DCB (Diversion Coding Bureau), a Division of TLC (thelonelycoder), a leading independent coding entity for ad-blocking and simplification software for routers running ...

... that's enough, I'll stop right here.

It's actually more complicated than this, because HND was reused in two different contexts :(

While HND was originally indeed for their whole Home Networking Division, it also became used to denote the new SDK that was used starting with the bcm490x. So basically:

SDK 4.xx: stone-age MIPS devices
SDK 5.xx: antique MIPS devices
SDK 6.34: old MIPS devices
SDK 6.37: First gen ARM (RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, etc...)
SDK 7.x: RT-AC3200 (Forgot exact version, that's how it's labeled in Asuswrt)
SDK 7.14: RT-AC88U, AC3100, AC5300

HND 5.02: New ARMv8 platform (Cortex B53). RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, etc...

On these forums when we talk about "the HND platform", we really mean devices using the new HND 5.xx SDK.

It's actually more complicated than this, because HND was reused in two different contexts :(

While HND was originally indeed for their whole Home Networking Division, it also became used to denote the new SDK that was used starting with the bcm490x. So basically:

SDK 4.xx: stone-age MIPS devices
SDK 5.xx: antique MIPS devices
SDK 6.34: old MIPS devices
SDK 6.37: First gen ARM (RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, etc...)
SDK 7.x: RT-AC3200 (Forgot exact version, that's how it's labeled in Asuswrt)
SDK 7.14: RT-AC88U, AC3100, AC5300

HND 5.02: New ARMv8 platform (Cortex B53). RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, etc...

On these forums when we talk about "the HND platform", we really mean devices using the new HND 5.xx SDK.
And all I wanted is to clear things up. I'll avoid mentioning HND in the future. Firmware version numbers are much clearer and easily understood.

Good to hear. I was afraid the RT-AX88U would have even more issues with my code than the RT-AC86U had when it came out with HND based code.
Since I now also have an AX88U to test on, I can confirm that the AX88U helped me tweak a couple of things in Diversion that I was struggling with and was unable to re-create on the AC86U.
These findings are part of the Diversion 4.0.8 changes I made.

Great to know. And thanks for the effort to get it perfect for the new AX88U.

However, I'm not a coder (I just have basic knowledge of Command Line). So I'm not 100% clear about HND based code. But it sounds important lol :)

Great to know. And thanks for the effort to get it perfect for the new AX88U.

However, I'm not a coder (I just have basic knowledge of Command Line). So I'm not 100% clear about HND based code. But it sounds important lol :)
It's just some paths that changed slightly and these routers are much faster than, say, the old MIPS based routers. That changes timing for parts of my code.

Also, it's expensive to have multiple router models. Asus Switzerland is unwilling to provide me with test units.
And if I buy one, I'll buy it locally for warranty and other reasons. Since we apparently swim in money here, prices are thusly adjusted: For nearly everything you can buy, rent or hire.

Also, it's expensive to have multiple router models. Asus Switzerland is unwilling to provide me with test units.
And if I buy one, I'll buy it locally for warranty and other reasons. Since we apparently swim in money here, prices are thusly adjusted: For nearly everything you can buy, rent or hire

Isn't that always the way, a strong euro or dollar causes prices to be adjusted so really things aren't really cheaper.

When I get a few $'s together I'll get a another AX model to use as a repeater.

I have an RT-N66U that has Merlin installed but I'm using that for my elderly parents for VPN use and ad blocking. They have no idea about these things. They seem to be happy with it, though.

I have an RT-N66U that has Merlin installed but I'm using that for my elderly parents for VPN use and ad blocking. They have no idea about these things. They seem to be happy with it, though.
You'll like the coming changes in Diversion for the white, black and wildcard-blacklist then: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-126#post-480919
No need to manually update them on every router under your control with the hosted option.
They'll auto-update come next blocking list update day.

I just resetted my router to upgrade to Merlin-ng firmware. Upon reinstalling Diversion it detected the old config and restored all settings (which is awesome :)) but now it shows up as 'enabled (unmounted)'.
Do I need to mount it somewhere manualy? Since I do have a diversion partition on the USB key from before the FW reset.

I just resetted my router to upgrade to Merlin-ng firmware. Upon reinstalling Diversion it detected the old config and restored all settings (which is awesome :)) but now it shows up as 'enabled (unmounted)'.
Do I need to mount it somewhere manualy? Since I do have a diversion partition on the USB key from before the FW reset.

Happend to me here aswell but when i tested the new Alpha 3 build with DoT(Diversion enabled(unmounted), Made a post about it here [Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 with DNS over TLS
Worked when i reinstalled DNSCrypt again, But have not had the time to test it again to try and solve it

Last edited:

FYI, I don't use DNSCrypt (never have) and I'm still running fw 384.10_2

What firmware were you running before? What router do you have?

FYI, I don't use DNSCrypt (never have) and I'm still running fw 384.10_2
Thanks for adding that bit of info. Should not be too hard to find what went wrong. Won't take long.

Happend to me here aswell but when i tested the new Alpha 3 build with DoT(Diversion enabled(unmounted), Made a post about it here [Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 with DNS over TLS
Worked when i reinstalled DNSCrypt again, But have not had the time to test it again to try and solve it
Looks like it's a small fix. Disabling Diversion and re-enabling fixed it for me.

For Diversion not to be in an "enabled (unmounted)" state after re-installing from a previous installation, I've updated the installer with a very small fix: It unsets the $UNMOUNT_STATUS variable during install or update.
Use u to force update Diversion.
Thanks for reporting and let me know if that helped.

I'll run a test in a minute, wanna see who I can blame...
Got them red handed, I hope: It's the DCB (Diversion Coding Bureau), a Division of TLC (thelonelycoder), a leading independent coding entity for ad-blocking and simplification software for routers.

So should I report them to FBI?? [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji14]
That would be an illegal undercover operation for them. Looks like TLC is headquartered in Switzerland and the FBI has no authority here.
I'll sort it out, might have to call our equivalent, the FIS: Intelligence Service of the Federation (FIS) (German: Nachrichtendienst des Bundes, NDB; French: Service de renseignement de la Confédération, SRC; Italian: Servizio delle attività informative della Confederazione, SIC; Romansh: Servetsch da las activitads infurmativs da la Confederaziun, SIC.

Looks like it's a small fix. Disabling Diversion and re-enabling fixed it for me.

For Diversion not to be in an "enabled (unmounted)" state after re-installing from a previous installation, I've updated the installer with a very small fix: It unsets the $UNMOUNT_STATUS variable during install or update.
Use u to force update Diversion.
Thanks for reporting and let me know if that helped.

jep, fixed it
Thanks for helping us out so fast!:D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!