What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It’s a part of the Large blocking list configuration. But the page is not responding. He’s angry.

Was curious who he wanted to “fix it!”. Not exactly a nice 1st post to introduce yourself to the forums. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diversion only uses lines in hosts files that are prepended by an IP address. Everything else is dropped. I have my reasons I do it that way and will not change it.

Um...ok...weird, but ok...
So if anyone needed, here is a PHP script that can be used to automatically convert lists into Diversion format. Simply point your list to it in Diversion, appending actual list as url query:
http://yourwebsiteaddress/get.php?u=https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_tracking.txt

@V@no wow you did that faster than I could say, hey thelonelycoder when will you add support for common host lists in your hosts adblocker... @V@no do you have a public server with this script? I am doing it manually by hand one list at a time in notepad++. Are there any forks with this support?

@thelonelycoder can you please host this php script personally on your asuswrt router so we can use common hosts files, and save minuscule yet precious cpu power and time?

Last edited:
(...) hey thelonelycoder when will you add support for common host lists in your hosts adblocker...
I do, always did. Common hosts files are an <IP host/domain> pair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
What you want is support for domain lists which I will not support as quoted in your reply. These domain list maintainers should provide lists in both formats if they are serious with their work. If not, then they have their own reasons not to do so, just as I have not to support them.

I do, always did. Common hosts files are an <IP host/domain> pair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
What you want is support for domain lists which I will not support as quoted in your reply. These domain list maintainers should provide lists in both formats if they are serious with their work. If not, then they have their own reasons not to do so, just as I have not to support them.

It makes no sense not to. Different maintainers have different systems, often with their own adblocker that is designed for a particular setup, so they don't work outside of those limitations. This is where this simple feature would come in handy, so much so V@no created a PHP script to convert lists to diversion format. So according to your standards neither of you are serious with your work. From what I see its around 50/50, or half of the lists I see or more do not include a loopback. I'm sure there are a number of ways, but all you would need to do is add a section to your host list, or a second host list designated for lists with no loopback... but given your app already detects if the lists have a loopback included, it could just as easily generate one. It makes no sense not to and it is unlikely you will convince the 3000+ hosts maintainers to include multiple versions when you could much more easily make a simple change.

@V@no you created that great little PHP

If someone knows how to patch this or fork this feature, please let me know. :)

Last edited:
It makes no sense not to. Different maintainers have different systems, often with their own adblocker that is designed for a particular setup, so they don't work outside of those limitations.
It does to me, I can do simple hack attempt and other checks with proper hosts files. Diversion is a hosts file based ad-blocker. Others use the domain lists to feed them to a database, like PiHole does (I believe) or use it to populate dnsmasq address files. In that case domain files make sense. But not in my ad-blocker.
I am not convinced.
What lists are you using?

It does to me, I can do simple hack attempt and other checks with proper hosts files. Diversion is a hosts file based ad-blocker. Others use the domain lists to feed them to a database, like PiHole does (I believe) or use it to populate dnsmasq address files. In that case domain files make sense. But not in my ad-blocker.
I am not convinced.

Please elaborate what you mean by "hack attempt"... and other checks, you could do that check after converting the host file to a compatible format.

You can do a hack attempt, and other checks, and that may be cool on your own private system, but I'm pretty sure most people would rather have the option whether or not they want to take that risk, and protect themselves against hackers with a more diverse set of hosts. A prior warning and option would suffice.

I have seven lists that I update manually adding the loopback, which I have custom added to my own git, most of the lists are updated daily, but not mine, its not an automated system... it has dramatically increased my hit list in blocklist log, privacy, and security. I am currently only able to use about 1/3 or so of the lists I would like to... there is just too many to update manually.

Last edited:
I am not convinced.
Yea pi hole can use host files or domain lists, what would be nice is a script to properly parse the domains list to arange it as a host list. I completely understand why diversion is as is though.

Please elaborate what you mean by "hack attempt"... and other checks, you could do that check after converting the host file to a compatible format.

You can do a hack attempt, and other checks, and that may be cool on your own private system, but I'm pretty sure most people would rather have the option whether or not they want to take that risk, and protect themselves against hackers with a more diverse set of hosts. A prior warning and option would suffice.

I have seven lists that I update manually adding the loopback, which I have custom added to my own git, most of the lists are updated daily, but not mine, its not an automated system... it has dramatically increased my hit list in blocklist log, privacy, and security. I am currently only able to use about 1/3 or so of the lists I would like to... there is just too many to update manually.
I'll make this quick and lazy for lack of time and willingness: At the moment I will not support domain lists in Diversion. And I'm not sure I ever will, but who knows, things may change.
Diversion only supports hosts files with an <IP domain> pair, one per line, where the IP has to be in a valid IPv4 address format (127.0.0.1, 0.0.0.0, or any valid IPv4 IP address).

How do I simply unblock a domain...?

It's quite handy to google something and then click on the ad links near the top of a product, I though this was googleadservices.com but I end up at a certificate error or connection not private and still doesn't work.

Any ideas what else I need to do to unblock it?

@thelonelycoder
some leakage passed by diversion today, only dnscrypt caught my wildcard block of ads.*
mercury is in retrograde btw; given the limited number of dnscrypt rulesets imposed, I am curious as to how many of these are leaking past diversion

Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: query[A] look.udncoeln.com from 192.168.50.219
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: forwarded look.udncoeln.com to 127.0.0.1
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: reply look.udncoeln.com is <CNAME>
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: reply ads.ad-center.com is 184.72.41.50
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: reply ads.ad-center.com is 184.169.182.88
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: query[A] ads.ad-center.com from 192.168.50.219
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist ads.ad-center.com is 192.168.50.2
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: query[AAAA] ads.ad-center.com from 192.168.50.219
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: forwarded ads.ad-center.com to 127.0.0.1
Nov 3 18:35:10 dnsmasq[30600]: nameserver 127.0.0.1 refused to do a recursive query

Last edited:
@thelonelycoder
some leakage passed by diversion today, only dnscrypt caught my wildcard block of ads.*
mercury is in retrograde btw
Interesting, Diversion maps up to 20 domains per line to the blocking IP in the blockinglist. At what position is that domain?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!