What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Once again pixelsrv was disabled i noticed as i logged into diversion, out of the blue... here is the log, the last entries are when i restarted pixelserv. https://pastebin.com/PxbM4Dwj I don't see anything going on out of the norm, logs are set to debug, but I can't see where it is crashing.

@thelonelycoder, I think I found another insect to be squashed... I whitelisted reddit.com which was in the wildcard blacklist and when proceeding to whitelist www.reddit.com (which I didn't have to, as the wildcard entry ws removed by my previous action), the following happened:
Code:
 1. Add domain
 2. Delete domain
 3. Process whitelist
 4. Sort and verify whitelist
 5. Restore whitelist from backup
 6. Set domain active/inactive (#! )

Select what to do [1-6 e=Exit] 1

Add domain like so: example.com or www.example.com

An explanatory comment can be added after this step

Enter domain  [e=Exit] www.reddit.com

no exact match found in blocking file for
 www.reddit.com
 no need to add it to the whitelist

no near matches found either
  !  match(es) will be removed from file(s)
 when added to whitelist.

Add it to whitelist? [1=Yes 2=No] 2 <<==== No, thank you, I don't want you to.

www.reddit.com
 was not found in the blocking file or blacklist
 If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless
 you select a larger blocking file.

The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is
 not re-added to the blocking file if you remove it.

Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No] 2 <<==== No, I'm absolutely sure, I don't want you to. Thank you.

Regardless of the fact that there was no need to whitelist www.reddit.com if I had read the text properly, I'd expect Diversion to return to the previous menu after hitting 2 for the first time when asked 'Add it to the whitelist?'. Instead, Diversion again confirms it's really not in the blocking file or blacklist and asks me if I'm sure whether I want to whitelist it. Looks like there's some duplicate code here?

It's a like a frickin' Micro$oft product asking me to confirm twice whether I'm really sure I don't want to do something :D

I remember in AB-solution there was a delay built in to make sure the pixelserv ip was up and running before starting pixelserv itself. is that functionality still there in Diversion or have you tackled it in a different way?

how can I properly reinstall pixelserv-tls?

It's me again...seems like you bump into me easily regardless where you ask. lol. Let me try again in this way..

I don't think reinstalling pixelserv-tls will solve the suspected crash problem because from the perspective of configuration on disk, pixelserv-tls is very simple. Reinstall of itself is unlikely to help. You shall try the log LEVEL 5 I told you earlier. That gives people a chance to get to the bottom of the issue and/or help me to improve the stability and robustness of pixelserv-tls (that btw is very good already IMO).

If you like a shortcut that seems to help quite a few people from my observation, the real question to ask is "how to reinstall everything". And the steps according to users here are roughly: 1) format the USB stick 2) install Diversion 3) install pixelserv-tls. :)

I remember in AB-solution there was a delay built in to make sure the pixelserv ip was up and running before starting pixelserv itself. is that functionality still there in Diversion or have you tackled it in a different way?
Tackled in a different way, it is brought up by the S80pixelser-tls itself.

It's a like a frickin' Micro$oft product asking me to confirm twice whether I'm really sure I don't want to do something :D
Are you absolutely sure, because if you are I might look into it. Confirm here. ;)

It's me again...seems like you bump into me easily regardless where you ask. lol. Let me try again in this way..

I don't think reinstalling pixelserv-tls will solve the suspected crash problem because from the perspective of configuration on disk, pixelserv-tls is very simple. Reinstall of itself is unlikely to help. You shall try the log LEVEL 5 I told you earlier. That gives people a chance to get to the bottom of the issue and/or help me to improve the stability and robustness of pixelserv-tls (that btw is very good already IMO).

If you like a shortcut that seems to help quite a few people from my observation, the real question to ask is "how to reinstall everything". And the steps according to users here are roughly: 1) format the USB stick 2) install Diversion 3) install pixelserv-tls. :)
I believe the user in question uses a firmware version and a router that is not supported on this board.

I believe the user in question uses a firmware version and a router that is not supported on this board.
@Thank you Kvic. I will keep a close eye on the logs and post the results when I come upon them. @thelonelycoder that was in response to my question of why pixelserv-tls is crashing. I'm using Asuswrt AC66U B1 with AC68U Merlin firmware, the latest alpha 3, will be bumping up to beta 1 soon.

Ok... this is as detailed as it will get, log level 5.

perhaps unrelated, there was a pixelserv error, after updating diversion lists, just watching youtube videos in the background: conn_handler shutdown error: Transport endpoint is not connected, this did not appear to cause any issues though I never tested browsing when this occurred. You can see the log shows it was running fine after.
Log: https://pastebin.com/Hd7YyfQs

Later. Ok here is the re-occurring problem that I mentioned, and partly what @kvic was speaking of. Diversion began restarting dnsmasq over and over again after I had processed all lists 3-4 times in a row. Diversion does not report filtering in dnsmasq -f tail, just the restarting services. After hitting apply on LAN in GUI, the dnsmasq issue went away, then pixelserv-tls failed to load properly, however diversion shows it in the green [sometimes its in the red]. I saw zero pixelserv 5-level logs while surfing and ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE in browser which means pixelserv-tls is not running or frozen even though diversion reported it running. I Restarted pixelserv in diversion, the log started again. All is back to normal. This seems to happen on its own from time to time after updating diversions lists.

https://pastebin.com/uEyKsAcN

Here was the log sequence, the first four restart_dnsmasq requests was due to manual diversion list processing. Then rc_service: watchdog 349:notify_rc start_dnsmasq started over and over again. Internet connection issues as well. Applying lan fixed this. I see zero errors reported by pixelserv-tls during the time it was not functioning.

Last edited:
I notice Diversion is no longer conveniently stored in /jffs/for easy restoration. How do you recommend backing up and restoring these files prior and after factory default?

Last edited:
Now that I switched from Standard to Medium the German Amazon site (amazon.de) is blocked.

How can I found which source list is responsible for this?

Now that I switched from Standard to Medium the German Amazon site (amazon.de) is blocked.

How can I found which source list is responsible for this?

It's in http://adblock.mahakala.is/

I stay away from mahakala... far too many false positives. I just read the following in the thread on XDA where the list originates:

... in its state right now, is full of false-positives and merely updated months ago. Monthly updates is good (same case with MVPs Hosts file) but if it takes more than that, no.

Makes me wonder a. how effective it still is and b. whether a 'Be careful: this blocks a lot' warning wouldn't be appropriate for Diversion Medium as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tackled in a different way, it is brought up by the S80pixelser-tls itself.
I remember seeing the code in the AB3 S80pixelserv file but i don't see it in the diversion S80 file... thats why i asked... just curiosity, and wondering if the had something to so with the issue ppl are having with pixelserv not starting.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!