What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Question for the next Diversion update:
It will have a new ads only blocking list type option called Minimal in b. This Minimal list only uses http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt to block.

Is it OK to use Minimal as the preset for new installs or should I keep the current preset Standard (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts)?
Thanks for your replies.

Please leave Standard as the preset.

I’m always pleased, when installing or updating these scripts, when there’s a recommendation against an option. If I was thinking of selecting that option anyway, then I’m reassured, and, if I’m not sure which option I should select, the guidance is invaluable. And that’s how I saw the Standard list: the word Standard was my guidance, all the more so when I realised it wasn’t just blocking ads. When it comes to blocking, I want malicious sites blocked as the priority, and if ads are also blocked then it’s a big bonus. I wouldn’t want to think my blocking list is keeping me safe from malicious sites when all it’s doing is blocking ads and all because I installed in a rush and didn’t look too closely at what the preset list was all about.

I know that is possible to have a wildcard blacklist, and I suggest to implement an wildcard whitelist on next release....
I'm having issues with my Samsung Smart TV that can't connect to update server, and because of that it reboots every 2 minutes.
I run the log and saw that it tries to connect to *.samsungcloudapps.* and fails, causing it to reboot.
If I could add this wildcard domain to whitelist, that will solve the problem!
For now, I must search for every subdomain (ive discovered more than 20) and add them one by one.

Standard please.

+1 for standard please and thank you for your hard work as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add an observation; Diversion is an ad blocker so it would make sense to have just ad blocking (the minimal list) as a starting point. Blocking additional domains is a very welcomed feature that can be used as required (and one that I’m thankful to have!)

My $0.02.

Is this site down?

https://hosts.oisd.nl/

I am trying to update my blocking file and the connection keeps timing out. It seems that all other files are updating just fine.

No major worries here! I will try again later!

I vote for standard as well. Best list to start with and blocks basically everything that's annoying. I think the biggest complains about the standard list is about Amazon apps not working right. Other than that it's almost perfect. If you go with a minimal list this thread will start to blow up with complains that it doesn't work right.

Is this site down?

https://hosts.oisd.nl/

I am trying to update my blocking file and the connection keeps timing out. It seems that all other files are updating just fine.

No major worries here! I will try again later!

Oh, too bad (the part that affects us), from https://www.reddit.com/r/oisd_blocklist/comments/dwxgld/dbloisdnl_internets_1_domain_blocklist/
Edit: This is news by reddit user u/sjhgvr, not @thelonelycoder:
Update Feb 28th 12:51 CET
Yesterday at 22:30 CET, my girlfriend gave birth to our daughter! This will however slow down the process of me getting the server back up and running. Srry for that.

Update Feb 26th 23:12 CET
Imagine me running rm -r /*/* as root .. Yes somehow I managed to do just that.

Will fix tomorrow. New users please help yourselves to the mirrors :)

Last edited:
Yesterday at 22:30 CET, my girlfriend gave birth to our daughter! This will however slow down the process of me getting the server back up and running. Srry for that.”

Congratulations, Martin. Donation for your new baby to follow.
o_O Not his baby. Not his girlfriend. It’s the oisd.nl guy’s baby. :)

I know that is possible to have a wildcard blacklist, and I suggest to implement an wildcard whitelist on next release....
I'm having issues with my Samsung Smart TV that can't connect to update server, and because of that it reboots every 2 minutes.
I run the log and saw that it tries to connect to *.samsungcloudapps.* and fails, causing it to reboot.
If I could add this wildcard domain to whitelist, that will solve the problem!
For now, I must search for every subdomain (ive discovered more than 20) and add them one by one.
Noted and rejected.
1. Skynet does not have a wildcard whitelist (Diversion and Skynet auto-share their lists)
2. I expect endless discussion why *exampledomain.com is not blocked
3. A lot of work for me to implement
4. Other reasons I may not remember at the moment

Yesterday at 22:30 CET, my girlfriend gave birth to our daughter! This will however slow down the process of me getting the server back up and running. Srry for that.”

Congratulations, Martin. Donation made in honour your new baby.
Thanks Martin but it reached the wrong person :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!