What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Execute "cru l" from ssh.
Is there anything wrong/weird?

3tSWFvZ.jpg

Code:
xxxxxxxxxxx@RT-AC68U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root# cru l
0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats#
*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/connmon generate #connmon#
00 1 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
00 1 * * Sun sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div #Diversion_UpdateBLTwo#
25 13 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
18 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#
50 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/backup.div #Diversion_AutoBackup#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
10 2 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/backup.div local #Diversion_LocalBackup#
10 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update.div #Diversion_UpdateCheck#
35 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#
xxxxxxxxxxx@RT-AC68U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root#

Is there anything wrong/weird?

3tSWFvZ.jpg

Code:
xxxxxxxxxxx@RT-AC68U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root# cru l
0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats#
*/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/connmon generate #connmon#
00 1 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
00 1 * * Sun sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div #Diversion_UpdateBLTwo#
25 13 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
18 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
20 5 * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#
50 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/backup.div #Diversion_AutoBackup#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
10 2 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/backup.div local #Diversion_LocalBackup#
10 0 * * Thu sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update.div #Diversion_UpdateCheck#
35 */12 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats #Skynet_genstats#
xxxxxxxxxxx@RT-AC68U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root#
Your stats should arrive on Thursdays after 12:30am.

They do.

But within Diversion I have
Code:
 b   blocking list  fs    Custom+ Thu, Sun @ 1:00

And and as you can see both Thu and Sun are there @ 1:00, but Sun won't happen.
That’s to update the blocking list, not generate stats.

That’s to update the blocking list, not generate stats.
OK. Now I understand.

I thought that both tasks would be done twice a week, but actually the stats are generated only once a week, with my case on thursdays.

edit: But that won't explain why I originally missed at least one or two sunday stats report emails while still on "once-a-week-schedule". That's why I changed to the "twice-a-week-schedule" in the first place.

But anyway, no biggie.

Last edited:
The goal is to have my own custom blocklist in place. The auto update inserts many other hosts that I don’t want. Any way of doing it?
Do you have the Plus hosts enabled in Diversion?

OK. Now I understand.

I thought that both tasks would be done twice a week, but actually the stats are generated only once a week, with my case on thursdays.

edit: But that won't explain why I originally missed at least one or two sunday stats report emails while still on "once-a-week-schedule". That's why I changed to the "twice-a-week-schedule" in the first place.

But anyway, no biggie.
There was some time when Unbound users were not getting emails because of an openssl conflict between Entware and Diversion. I missed a couple weeks before realizing what was going on. Did you ever test Unbound on your router?

Is it possible that Diversion uses only a limited amount of RAM available in the device (I know that Linux handles memory differently than, for example, Windows)?

:)

Is it possible that Diversion uses only a limited amount of RAM available in the device (I know that Linux handles memory differently than, for example, Windows)?

Your dnsmasq memory usage is directly related to the size of your blocking list in Diversion.

Your dnsmasq memory usage is directly related to the size of your blocking list in Diversion.

Previously, I used Diversion & Pixelserv only with default settings. After a certain time, probably several days, the RAM ran full and the device eventually crashed or the GUI was no longer accessible. I observed this behavior for at least half a year before I decided not to use the script for the time being. Since then, there has been no such behavior described above. If possible, I would therefore like to limit the use of RAM and reuse Diversion.

Previously, I used Diversion & Pixelserv only with default settings. After a certain time, probably several days, the RAM ran full and the device eventually crashed or the GUI was no longer accessible. I observed this behavior for at least half a year before I decided not to use the script for the time being. Since then, there has been no such behavior described above. If possible, I would therefore like to limit the use of RAM and reuse Diversion.

I stopped using Pixelserv a week or so ago after I noticed 184 pixelserv-tls processes (really threads) stemming from a blocked domain triggered while my Termius iOS ssh client was running. It never let up. So some apps may be persistent and repeatedly try to access a blocked domain rapidly in succession, spawning many pixelserv-tls threads visible in htop. I believe I read before that Instagram was another such app.

Otherwise, Diversion itself is very memory friendly if using anything smaller than the Large blocking list. Plus hosts are also of questionable value for me personally and add a lot of hosts to the memory footprint.

Start small, start Lite and observe.

I stopped using Pixelserv a week or so ago after I noticed 184 pixelserv-tls processes (really threads) stemming from a blocked domain triggered while my Termius iOS ssh client was running. It never let up. So some apps may be persistent and repeatedly try to access a blocked domain rapidly in succession, spawning many pixelserv-tls threads visible in htop. I believe I read before that Instagram was another such app.

Otherwise, Diversion itself is very memory friendly if using anything smaller than the Large blocking list. Plus hosts are also of questionable value for me personally and add a lot of hosts to the memory footprint.

Hmm this is something I will keep an eye out for.

I'm using the Standard blocking list and do use instagram.

I too have seen, and regularly do see my pixelserv-tls thread count go up over 100, and the memory grows too. Then it stops and works it way down to 2 or 3 threads. No idea what is causing this yet.

@thelonelycoder quick question for you. I noticed that in your rotate-logs script you still maintain dnsmasq.log2 (weekly) and dnsmasq.log1 (yesterday) even if weekly stats is turned off. Curious what else you use the dnsmasq.log1/2 for? Seems like a waste to keep around unless other parts are using it, and it is extra disk and computation.

personally my dnsmasq logs grow very quickly, so I am turning off stats generation. It took over 11 minutes last night to generate the stats, and that is on my RT-AX88U which is quite fast.

Thank you for your time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!