What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My kids are reporting that on their iPhones the YT videos are not loading any longer. An error message pops up saying that it can't load that content - press here to try again, which never works. So they went on the cellular network to circumvent the ad blocker. Any one else having this issue?
did you have redirector.googlevideo.com domain in your /opt/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist file?

I happened to me using the unbound YT blocking script .... i started getting error messages and the videos wouldn't load until i removed the offending domain.

Not saying that's your issue with the diversion script but worth a look

I just wonder if the same method for blocking YT ads, could be used for other services like TuneIn, shoutcast, or even free Spotify. Ah Scheiße, probably not.

Looks like I nailed the YouTube feature, no failures since the last update.
I stressed my main router today with about 15 devices running autoplay YT for about an hour. While the RT-AX88U was unimpressed with that heavy traffic, I was enjoying the System Log page adding lots of domains to the blacklist.

The setup logic, the auto-add and timing adjustments seem sound and working flawless.
I'm happy to say that Diversion now also blocks YouTube video ads, with a few sacrificial ones coming through.
All that with a couple hundred lines of code, lots of coffee, swe@%$ring and almost no pillow time.
Not a bad outcome from post #6000 that triggered it all.

I have posted a thank you comment to the original script coder on Pi-Holes discourse board. To let him know that it's appreciated and made good use of.

Can you please define "sacrificial" ads?

Ive watched about 10 random videos on my save playlist that I know get ads, and all 10 of the vides get ads.

Thanks.

My kids are reporting that on their iPhones the YT videos are not loading any longer. An error message pops up saying that it can't load that content - press here to try again, which never works. So they went on the cellular network to circumvent the ad blocker. Any one else having this issue?

No issue on iPhone or on iPad.

Has YT app has been updated on all mobile devices??

[mention]thelonelycoder [/mention] Okay so a question just popped up in my mind.

Soppose YouTube or our ISP decides to change its YouTube Egde node IP address or the IP goes down for some reason wouldn't it breaks YouTube for us? because we're forcing the videos to playback from that set IP address of our local YouTube edge node. I believe we need another check in Diversion to circumvent such a situation and make it dig against the *.googlevideo.com domains every few hours/days to make sure the IP is still the same and in case we get a different one, edit the already populated YT block list to the newly fetched IP.

I haven't seen any such checks in your code, though it is possible I might've missed it if it's already there.

I cant find any info on "YouTube edge node".
Please explain.

What does "(counter at 55 of 70)" mean?
Code:
May 11 11:37:01 Diversion: found 1 new YouTube hosts, total is 29 (counter at 55 of 70)

He has a commercial interest in being a naysayer
Well i thought the placebo reference was a bit misplaced .... there is definitely a measurable drop in the ads for now...we shall see what happens as the domain list grows. Im hoping @Mutzli kids experience isn't the effect of content as well as ads getting blocked ...... would be interesting to see how many domains he has stored. Im up to around 80 with no ill effects , and i see people reporting hundreds

Well i thought the placebo reference was a bit misplaced .... there is definitely a measurable drop in the ads for now...we shall see what happens as the domain list grows. Im hoping @Mutzli kids experience isn't the effect of content as well as ads getting blocked ...... would be interesting to see how many domains he has stored. Im up to around 80 with no ill effects , and i see people reporting hundreds
I have 301 domains collect still able to pull youtube just find.

I want to have certain devices on my network not have any ad blocking, but still be able to go though the router for DNS. I've setup the alternate blocking list, which initially I had to chose a preset blocking file. I then went in and removed the hosts list from the alternate blocking file, but I'm still getting blocking on the alternate dns server. this is an example of the log entries I'm getting:

dnsmasq: blocked by blockinglist_fs adservice.google.com is 0.0.0.0

Does anyone know how I can completely disable all blocking for the alternate instance?

In what way could Diversion make YouTube better for us when we aren't home?

VPN into your home’s secure router when off your wifi. I’m not even out of the driveway when my phone flips it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to have certain devices on my network not have any ad blocking, but still be able to go though the router for DNS. I've setup the alternate blocking list, which initially I had to chose a preset blocking file. I then went in and removed the hosts list from the alternate blocking file, but I'm still getting blocking on the alternate dns server. this is an example of the log entries I'm getting:

dnsmasq: blocked by blockinglist_fs adservice.google.com is 0.0.0.0

Does anyone know how I can completely disable all blocking for the alternate instance?
Maybe this can help
https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-exclude-a-client-from-ad-blocking.html

Last edited:
Its behaviour is not to block, but to redirect from a host where an ad is ready to fire from an "ad gun".

The Gitlab page for the original is here.

Yes, I think the NextDNS author may have missed that part.

Edit: I have a toddler who watches YT for almost half the day due to the lockdown ... I will advise in a few days whether the YT adblocker is still working for me or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!