What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diversion is a software to blocks ads, with benefits for your router that are closely related to it.
Your idea, summarized as:
1. block any Internet access and
2. allow only limited domain resolution for a list of domains and
3. limit this to selected devices

This sounds like a job for a parental control software.
There are readily available options out there, one is already built into your router.

I don't agree with that. The default on the routers are broad category based so, for example, I couldn't disable Netflix without disabling Zoom (needed for online learning). Anyway, I went ahead and created Guiderails, which gives very tight whitelisting controls (like Safari with Screentime enabled on iOS/macOS). This lets one use Diversion as the network wide primary DNS and Guiderails as the auxiliary DNS for little kids studying online. Everything is built on top of dnsmasq. The actual logic was a few minutes but getting everything with Merlin's (excellent) framework was all new stuff for me.

I've announced Guiderails on a separate thread here and the GitHub page is here. @HairyA00 , you can check it out if you want.

Guys... Diversion is blocking the Amazon Shopping Android App from working. Browser shopping on PC works fine. I've seen many posts here but is there an easy way to whitelist these? Seems like there should be a built-in option for Diversion to not break one of the most popular sites on the Internet?

thx

Guys... Diversion is blocking the Amazon Shopping Android App from working. Browser shopping on PC works fine. I've seen many posts here but is there an easy way to whitelist these? Seems like there should be a built-in option for Diversion to not break one of the most popular sites on the Internet?

thx
Try to WL these domains provided by @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow :
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/pixelserv-a-better-one-pixel-webserver-for-adblock.26114/page-175

Reactions: a5m

thx
And this topic has been covered multiple times in this very thread.

thx
here is the most recent batch of whitelisted,
Code:
aan.amazon-adsystem.com
aan.amazon.com
aax.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-pdx.amazon-adsystem.com
amazonaws.com
amazon.com
amazon.co.uk
amazon.in
amzn.com
amzn.to
cognito-identity.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
completion.amazon.co.uk
det-ta-g7g.amazon.com
device-messaging-na.amazon.com
device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
device-metrics-us.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com
fls-na.amazon.com
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com
ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com
kinesis.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
mads.amazon.com
mas-sdk.amazon.com
ocsp.rootg2.amazontrust.com
s3.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com
s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
smile.amazon.com
spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
sqs.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
unagi-na.amazon.com
us-east-1.amazonaws.com
heres a link with instructions
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...server-for-adblock.26114/page-175#post-585684
if it does not work you need to try using the app, and look through your logs using diversion, examine what is getting blocked, and whitelist it. or try using a smaller block list, or disable pixelserv-tls blocking.
there are a million solutions.

thx guys, I know this has been covered in this thread... which is WAY to big to search and navigate and there is a ton of different/overlapping info. Thus not really a searchable/usable thread at this point.

Also, I'm surprised (aka disappointed) these domains are blocked by default considering Amazon is the #1 shopping web site in the world, #12 of ANY wide site. There should be an easy way to unblock these instead of manually entering, one at a time, a huge list of domains. I feel like I'm back in the MS-DOS days with this app. :(

Also, I'm surprised (aka disappointed) these domains are blocked by default considering Amazon is the #1 shopping web site in the world, #12 of ANY wide site.
Share your grievance with the list maintainer (e.g. StevenBlack). What is the right amount of forced whitelisting thelonelycoder should impose on everyone? Little to none, except to ensure the basic router functions work and his gracious whitelisting of ad domains to support snbforums.com.

thx guys, I know this has been covered in this thread... which is WAY to big to search and navigate and there is a ton of different/overlapping info. Thus not really a searchable/usable thread at this point.

Also, I'm surprised (aka disappointed) these domains are blocked by default considering Amazon is the #1 shopping web site in the world, #12 of ANY wide site. There should be an easy way to unblock these instead of manually entering, one at a time, a huge list of domains. I feel like I'm back in the MS-DOS days with this app. :(
What is the old saying, you mess with the bull you get the horns? Well Ad blocking is our metaphorical bull. Part of the problem is that amazon has so much real estate like you mention. This means ads are also served through it and you may not even be directly shopping. Welcome to the world wide web.

here is the most recent batch of whitelisted,
Code:
aan.amazon-adsystem.com
aan.amazon.com
aax.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-eu.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
aax-us-pdx.amazon-adsystem.com
amazonaws.com
amazon.com
amazon.co.uk
amazon.in
amzn.com
amzn.to
cognito-identity.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
completion.amazon.co.uk
det-ta-g7g.amazon.com
device-messaging-na.amazon.com
device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
device-metrics-us.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com
fls-na.amazon.com
images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com
ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
ir-uk.amazon-adsystem.com
kinesis.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
mads.amazon.com
mas-sdk.amazon.com
ocsp.rootg2.amazontrust.com
s3.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com
s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com
s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
smile.amazon.com
spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com
sqs.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
unagi-na.amazon.com
us-east-1.amazonaws.com
heres a link with instructions
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...server-for-adblock.26114/page-175#post-585684
if it does not work you need to try using the app, and look through your logs using diversion, examine what is getting blocked, and whitelist it. or try using a smaller block list, or disable pixelserv-tls blocking.
there are a million solutions.

Perhaps whitelisting from an externally managed source isn't a great idea, but I have been using this list and it is minimized issues:

https://github.com/anudeepND/whitelist

I personally find Steven's Black List to be a good point for people to jump into.

It is Amazon that is the problem here. They use the same ad-tracking and ad-servers for their Amazon app as they use for third party ad feeds. Unfortunately if you open some of these sites it'll feed your router clients ads again. Blocking them is only a problem when using an Amazon app. But if you go through a web browser to access the Amazon shopping portal it works just fine with all the blocks in place. At my house we are simply not using the app and do all shopping from the browser to keep the sites blocked.

It is Amazon that is the problem here. They use the same ad-tracking and ad-servers for their Amazon app as they use for third party ad feeds. Unfortunately if you open some of these sites it'll feed your router clients ads again. Blocking them is only a problem when using an Amazon app. But if you go through a web browser to access the Amazon shopping portal it works just fine with all the blocks in place. At my house we are simply not using the app and do all shopping from the browser to keep the sites blocked.
I have had trouble in the browser as well using blocking some of those domains, the page will load with an error when trying to add things to cart, or to view items.

Is there a way to bulk import these into the Whitelist? I'm only seeing a way to add, by hand, one at a time?

Is there a way to bulk import these into the Whitelist? I'm only seeing a way to add, by hand, one at a time?
you can choose a hosted whitelist, but then you loose your list.
you could make a github account, and upload all of your whitelist to github. then choose that place to be your hosted whitelist. you can updated as a hosted list by doing that. The down side is there is a limit of how many whitelisted items you can have. I think it is 1000, so choose carefully what you want to whitelist.

thx
Just disable pixelserv-tls. Don't spin your wheels. Even with whitelisting everything, the issue is not with the domains you're sinkholing. It's with pixelserv-tls. Trust me, you don't need to whitelist ANYTHING special, just disable pixelserv-tls and it'll work. Promise!

Hi,

I've been using Diversion for some time (when it was called AB-Solutions :-0), and love it...I just enabled the youtube ad block feature, and it seems to work for the most part. I am getting less ads on my youtube video, however, I noticed that on my Amazon Firestick, if I have this feature enabled, I cannot load any youtube video. I just get a black screen as soon as I click a video.

If I disable the feature, everything works again.

Any suggestions?
Look at the dnsmasq log file and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

All I get is the standard:
blocked by blockinglist s.youtube.com is x.x.x.x
That's not an entry for the YouTube blocking feature. It's the blocking list that blocks it. Add the domain to the whitelist.

You want me to add "

You want me to add "s.youtube.com" to my whitelist?

In order to see what ad being blocked by the youtube script, what entries should I be looking for?

thanks
Try it. I don't have Firestick to test it with.

The YT entries that go through the feature are resolved to the IP shown in it.

No, you're not losing it. I usually change to the suggested settings I know works and sometimes it still takes a few days for the network to actually work noticeably better for my customers too. :)

I don't know what happened, but after I tried again, everything now works without putting the domain in my whitelist.

I swear, I've been messing with this for over a week, and now everything works all of a sudden.

I must be losing it....
Could be that the device had the cache cleared and/or a certain domain is no longer blocked in your blocking list after the regular update of it.

Reactions: a5m
No, you're not losing it. I usually change to the suggested settings I know works and sometimes it still takes a few days for the network to actually work noticeably better for my customers too. :)
Some call that the delayed placebo effect ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!