1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by thelonelycoder, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Livin

Livin Regular Contributor

Is there a way to bulk import these into the Whitelist? I'm only seeing a way to add, by hand, one at a time?

2. SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Very Senior Member

you can choose a hosted whitelist, but then you loose your list.
    you could make a github account, and upload all of your whitelist to github. then choose that place to be your hosted whitelist. you can updated as a hosted list by doing that. The down side is there is a limit of how many whitelisted items you can have. I think it is 1000, so choose carefully what you want to whitelist.

CriticJay likes this.
  3. HairyA00

HairyA00 Senior Member

Just disable pixelserv-tls. Don't spin your wheels. Even with whitelisting everything, the issue is not with the domains you're sinkholing. It's with pixelserv-tls. Trust me, you don't need to whitelist ANYTHING special, just disable pixelserv-tls and it'll work. Promise!

Kingp1n and Treadler like this.
  4. TheMorpN

TheMorpN Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I've been using Diversion for some time (when it was called AB-Solutions :-0), and love it...I just enabled the youtube ad block feature, and it seems to work for the most part. I am getting less ads on my youtube video, however, I noticed that on my Amazon Firestick, if I have this feature enabled, I cannot load any youtube video. I just get a black screen as soon as I click a video.

If I disable the feature, everything works again.

Any suggestions?

5. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Look at the dnsmasq log file and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

6. TheMorpN

Nothing out of the ordinary.

All I get is the standard:
    blocked by blockinglist s.youtube.com is x.x.x.x

7. thelonelycoder

That's not an entry for the YouTube blocking feature. It's the blocking list that blocks it. Add the domain to the whitelist.

8. TheMorpN

You want me to add "
    You want me to add "s.youtube.com" to my whitelist?

In order to see what ad being blocked by the youtube script, what entries should I be looking for?

thanks

9. thelonelycoder

Try it. I don't have Firestick to test it with.

The YT entries that go through the feature are resolved to the IP shown in it.

10. TheMorpN

I'll try it tonight. However, if I whitelist s.youtube.com, wouldn't that mean that it would not block any ads for youtube?

I'll let you know what happens later on.

thanks again.

11. TheMorpN

I don't know what happened, but after I tried again, everything now works without putting the domain in my whitelist.

I swear, I've been messing with this for over a week, and now everything works all of a sudden.

I must be losing it....

thelonelycoder and L&LD like this.
  12. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

No, you're not losing it. I usually change to the suggested settings I know works and sometimes it still takes a few days for the network to actually work noticeably better for my customers too. :)

martinr and TheMorpN like this.
  13. thelonelycoder

Could be that the device had the cache cleared and/or a certain domain is no longer blocked in your blocking list after the regular update of it.

a5m likes this.
  14. thelonelycoder

Some call that the delayed placebo effect ;)

15. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Of course, but no placebo here. Fixed control channels, fixed bandwidth, and enough time for the surrounding AP's to 'automatically' ignore the channels I choose do make a significant difference.

Not always, but that also usually means that I simply chose a wrong control channel (at first) for the RF environment the router is operating in. :)

thelonelycoder likes this.
  16. TheMorpN

Guess I spoke to soon. It started to do the same thing this morning.

I can see why it would fail.

Anyways, I disabled the YT ad block and rebooter my router, and everything is working again.

17. archiel

archiel Occasional Visitor

Despite having correctly installed certificates, I still have a slu to slh ration of about 2.5:1 Running the pixelserv log at 2 I can identify the problem sites from 'handshake failed: unknown cert.'

Rather than disabling pixelserv completely, I have added the problem sites to hosts.add and the whitelist. I have also seen that instead of using hosts.add, I could add these sites via dnsmasq.conf.add.

Is there any reason to prefer one method over the other?

How do I modify hosts.add to include IPv6?

e.g. I have mobile.pipe.aria.microsoft.com in my whitelist and the line '0.0.0.0 mobile.pipe.aria.microsoft.com' in hosts.add

where the IPv4 query [A] works as expected and returns 0.0.0.0

but ipV6 [AAAA] returns the 'correct' address 2620:119:53::53

Also there a way to directly edit the whitelist (e.g. via ssh) other than by having a hosted whitelist?

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 11:35 AM
  18. dave14305

dave14305 Part of the Furniture

The benefit of hosts.add is that you don’t have to remember the dnsmasq syntax.
    Code:
    0.0.0.0   mobile.pipe.aria.microsoft.com
    ::  mobile.pipe.aria.microsoft.com
    You can vi or nano /opt/share/diversion/list/whitelist and then run diversion to sort and process the updated whitelist. Not an encouraged method, but technically possible if you know how to navigate vi or nano.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    archiel likes this.
  19. archiel

archiel Occasional Visitor

I am not particularly good with vi or nano, so I copy files to my windows desktop (in WinSCP), use Notepad++ as my external editor (still in WinSCP) and then copy back. Permissions are retained (as it is a copy) so no need to reset. Not very elegant, but much easier for me than remembering the syntax in vi / nano

L&LD likes this.
  20. thelonelycoder

You can set WinSCP to open files in Notepad++.
    That's how I work all the time while developing. Though to make it even simpler, I have a Samba root directory share enabled for my devlopment routers.

a5m, archiel and L&LD like this.