What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The lonely v you got was the remains of an uncomplete retrieval of the current Diversion version number. As my server is happily up and running, I conclude that somewhere in the cybernet the request was improperly forwarded. The upd err message confirms that.
So, these errors have nothing to do with the new fw 384.18 per se? Or Diversion WebUI?

IS YTB still working ? ( 181 yt ) The adds are flying all over the place here :)
They sure aren't working for me. This feature I believe needs it's OWN thread.. I have a feeling that it needs special coddling that only some users have a skill level appropriate to do..

It'd be really nice if the Youtube Adblocking feature had some documentation, I have no idea where to look to find if the "learning" is working. Presumably there'd be a text file somewhere with the domains it'd learned/blocked so far so we could at least see that it's doing something.

Reactions: CMc
So, these errors have nothing to do with the new fw 384.18 per se? Or Diversion WebUI?
In my best opinion: No. I have this version running on one router and I doubt that the firmware blocks my server out of spite or to divert my attention to something else I have no time for.

They sure aren't working for me. This feature I believe needs it's OWN thread.. I have a feeling that it needs special coddling that only some users have a skill level appropriate to do..
This is an experimental feature, provided by Diversion. This IS the thread for it. I am not going elsewhere with that discussion.
It'd be really nice if the Youtube Adblocking feature had some documentation, I have no idea where to look to find if the "learning" is working. Presumably there'd be a text file somewhere with the domains it'd learned/blocked so far so we could at least see that it's doing something.
As it is an experimental feature, documentation is sparse.
But here's how it works: Whenever the grabbing feature (opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div) finds a new *.googlevideo.com in the Dnsmasq log file, it adds it to opt/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist. That file is loaded into Dnsmasq and next time one of these domains is requested, it gets diverted to the forced IP address(es) which can be viewed in b 8.

Forcing all *.googlevideo.com domains to the same and only forced IP address presumably effects in fewer or no video ads shown.
The forced IP changes at a certain interval, the change is logged to the router's Syslog, along with any new domain names it grabbed.
This short explanation will have to do for now.

Any suggestion for how to time schedule Diversion to enable and disable?

During working day, both of us find some work-related websites are loading slow with Diversion enabled: sometimes login prompts do not execute. I could work around this - figuring out IP addresses, and whitelisting. The other user here does not have the patience not technical skill to do this, and frequently new websites turn up due to nature of the work. So I've had to disable Diversion, unfortunately, to avoid hindering work.

What I'd like to do is set Diversion to enable on a time schedule: once or twice a day outside of work hours, to remove ads for non-work browsing. It worked really well on news websites, and I'm missing it!

Don't turn off Diversion. Simply use Cloudflare or Google DNS in DNSFilter for the work devices as needed.

You may be able to toggle those from your phone too. :)

Don't turn off Diversion. Simply use Cloudflare or Google DNS in DNSFilter for the work devices as needed.

Ah - thanks. Currently I've got DNS Filter set On, with Router as default. So if I add a DNSFilter custom rule for a work laptop to, say, 8.8.8.8 for Google DNS, then that work laptop will not get ad-blocking... intriguing!

Also I just found this, which kind of implies my DNSFilter default should maybe set no filtering (not Router)
https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-exclude-a-client-from-ad-blocking.html

Update: I kept my DNS Filter set On with Router as default (I'm using DNS Privacy and want devices to default to DNS Privacy), and tested a work computer set to use a DNS Filter Custom user-defined DNS (8.8.8.8) and the work computer now works just fine with Diversion enabled: with no slow loading of a known website that had this problem. Thanks for this useful tip.

Last edited:
Desktop or Android etc ?

This is an experimental feature, provided by Diversion. This IS the thread for it. I am not going elsewhere with that discussion.

But here's how it works: Whenever the grabbing feature (opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div) finds a new *.googlevideo.com in the Dnsmasq log file, it adds it to opt/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist. That file is loaded into Dnsmasq and next time one of these domains is requested, it gets diverted to the forced IP address(es) which can be viewed in b 8.

Forcing all *.googlevideo.com domains to the same and only forced IP address presumably effects in fewer or no video ads shown.
The forced IP changes at a certain interval, the change is logged to the router's Syslog, along with any new domain names it grabbed.

Is Diversion compatible with Unbound Manager?

Looking at b.8 I get -

googlevideo doamains in yt_blacklist: 146
the forced IPv4 address is: 74.125.12.138

Question: where is 74.125.12.138 situated?

Looking at b.8 I get -

In the yt_blacklist and saved to the diversion config file.

Looking at b.8 I get -

Don't set an arbitrary IP there, especially not the pixelserv-tls or 0.0.0.0 IP.

Did Diversion move again in the router UI? I updated to 384.18 and neither Diversion nor uiDivstats are in the LAN tab anymore. Reinstalled both via AMTM and diversion seems to be running correctly.

It was working correctly on the .18 beta

uiDivstats is in the LAN tab for me.

uiDivstats is in the LAN tab for me.
Yea I had to toggle the UI for Diversion itself for it to show up. Entware.net is having connections issues so I think my reinstall of uiDiv may have gotten broken for now. It'll sort out I guess.

Don't set an arbitrary IP there, especially not the pixelserv-tls or 0.0.0.0 IP.

74.125.12.138 was system generated, I have not set any IP other than 192.168.1.2 for pixelserv-tls. My Router's IP is 192.168.1.1

74.125.12.138 was system generated, I have not set any IP other than 192.168.1.2 for pixelserv-tls. My Router's IP is 192.168.1.1
I'm just telling you not to tinker with the wrong settings, that's all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!