What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

74.125.12.138 was system generated, I have not set any IP other than 192.168.1.2 for pixelserv-tls. My Router's IP is 192.168.1.1
iu

;)

Forcing all *.googlevideo.com domains to the same and only forced IP address presumably effects in fewer or no video ads shown.
Yep, it really works, but only on the desktop (browser Edge Chronium) and does not work at all on smart TVs.

With regards to the YouTube experimental blocking, is there a way I can assist this more?

I guess I should be not using any ad-block on browsers? To be fair the only reason now to use a block on a browser is to remove the mass of white space you get from having no ads on a page after Diversion has blocked it.

Starting yesterday, I can't use Diversion any longer. My RT-AC87U router suddently stopped working, neither LAN nor WiFi worked and I couldn't connect to the WebUI nor SSH to the router.

I managed to get it working again by starting it without the USB drive and started turning features off one by one until I could identify it was Diversion being the culprit.

As soon as I turn Diversion on, dnsmasq locks up using ~50% CPU according to htop. Uninstalling and doing a clean reinstall of Diversion doesn't solve the issue.

Any idea what could be causing this and how I can get Diversion working again?

I managed to get it working again by starting it without the USB drive and started turning features off one by one until I could identify it was Diversion being the culprit.
Try a different USB drive, or at least re-format and re-initialize this one. I'd guess the drive is failing if it's a sudden change.

Try a different USB drive, or at least re-format and re-initialize this one. I'd guess the drive is failing if it's a sudden change.
Did that. No change. :(

Edit: Right now the Entware repo is down so I can't try out Diversion Standard which was what I used previously. Though I do get the exact same error with Diversion Lite.

Last edited:
Does diversion do something to dnsmasq.conf that would explain why the dnsmasq process hangs? I tried both enabling and disabling the custom dnsmasq.conf in Diversion, no luck.

Starting yesterday, I can't use Diversion any longer. My RT-AC87U router suddently stopped working, neither LAN nor WiFi worked and I couldn't connect to the WebUI nor SSH to the router.

As soon as I turn Diversion on, dnsmasq locks up using ~50% CPU according to htop. Uninstalling and doing a clean reinstall of Diversion doesn't solve the issue.

Any idea what could be causing this and how I can get Diversion working again?
Do you have uiDivStats installed?

Does diversion do something to dnsmasq.conf that would explain why the dnsmasq process hangs? I tried both enabling and disabling the custom dnsmasq.conf in Diversion, no luck.
When logging is enabled, it needs to write to the USB device. Apart feom that, Diversion adds some stuff for it to work.

I can't find a specific post now, but I remember reading that pixelserve was on the way out, or had one kind or another of technical issue(s). Is it still recommended as ok to use Diversion in Standard mode? I've been using it in Lite with uiDivStats now with great success for some time.

Thanks,
Anton

I can't find a specific post now, but I remember reading that pixelserve was on the way out, or had one kind or another of technical issue(s). Is it still recommended as ok to use Diversion in Standard mode? I've been using it in Lite with uiDivStats now with great success for some time.

Thanks,
Anton

From my many, many hours of reading threads on this site my understanding is as follows. I'm sure the experts will chime in and correct my mistakes.

Years ago Diversion in it's formal life as AB-Solution was created to block ads. At some point the ad servers started using https to serve the ads. When a site with https ads was encountered there would be delays for some reason that I don't know the details of. Pixelsrv was created to answer those request thus eliminating the delay. As a bonus, pixelsrv would return a 1 pixel "ad" which would make the site prettier with the absence of a grey box where the ad was. Fast forward to now, I think I read that the delay is no longer present when not using pixelsrv. And with the new rules for certs and it has become more laborious to get all of your devices "compatible" with pixelsrv. So, to make life easy some people are just forgoing pixelsrv and dealing with the grey boxes.

Thanks,
Anton
There is no technical issue with pixelserv-tls usage in Diversion or any other way one uses that software.

When logging is enabled, it needs to write to the USB device. Apart feom that, Diversion adds some stuff for it to work.
Are there any leftovers left somewhere in any .conf file when uninstalling Diversion? It's a mystery to me why everything works, but as soon as I install Diversion or Diversion Lite, I can't even start the router.

In the Diversion new WebUI under the LAN section I have fount "Test ONE" and "Test TWO".
What is the meaning of these tests ?

By the way I love this interface :)

Are there any leftovers left somewhere in any .conf file when uninstalling Diversion? It's a mystery to me why everything works, but as soon as I install Diversion or Diversion Lite, I can't even start the router.
Not that I'm aware of. If one uninstalls through the d menu then all traces are gone.
Mind posting the content of these files, if present:
- /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
- /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
- /jffs/scripts/post-mount

Not that I'm aware of. If one uninstalls through the d menu then all traces are gone.
Mind posting the content of these files, if present:
- /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
- /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
- /jffs/scripts/post-mount

This is with Diversion now being completely uninstalled using the d menu option.

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add said:
dns-forward-max=1000
server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1
dhcp-option=lan,42,192.168.1.1 # ntpMerlin

/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf said:
more: /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf: No such file or directory

/jffs/scripts/post-mount said:
#!/bin/sh
swapon /tmp/mnt/USB256/myswap.swp # Swap file created by amtm

mount -a
service restart_httpd

. /jffs/addons/diversion/mount-entware.div # Added by Diversion

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!