What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick blacklist question... there are a couple of domains I've scanned on "sitecheck.sucuri.net" that show "blacklisted by McAfee." Do you know if the McAfee blacklist is available to add to Diversion somewhere/somehow? Because when I do the Blocking List > Find Domain in Host File(s) they never come up.

Thanks!
Unlikely that McAfee publishes their "hard earned" list. They are a business after all.

Unrelated question, and not that big a deal. How come sometimes Diversion quits to AMTM, and sometimes it quits to the command prompt?
If you follow the log in Diversion and exit with CTRL-C, it will kill the shell session amtm was running in. Nothing I can do about.

Unlikely that McAfee publishes their "hard earned" list. They are a business after all.
Well, there is that. I figured they make their money on corporate endpoint protection, but malware is everybody's problem... :dunno: Anyway; thanks!

The IP is good. Dnsmasq is responding. It is just responding with "query refused" instead of an actual dns record.

As I never tested the alternate blocking list on Mipsel routers I ran it by my RT-AC66U on 380.70 with the expected result that it works just as intended.
I suspect you use DoT or some other service that prevents lookups through Dnsmasq for the second instance. Could you post the dnsmasq.conf file, view it with sf in Diversion.

Is there a way use Diversion as DNS server for cellphone (aka from outside network device)?

The closest method to diversion etc I’ve found for blocking ads and maintaining some semblance of privacy on mobile is to use cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 app and brave browser. But yeah, the best way is to have a VPN server in your router that your phone connects to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I never tested the alternate blocking list on Mipsel routers I ran it by my RT-AC66U on 380.70 with the expected result that it works just as intended.
I suspect you use DoT or some other service that prevents lookups through Dnsmasq for the second instance. Could you post the dnsmasq.conf file, view it with sf in Diversion.

The Dnsmasq files are uploaded as a file. I am not sure what DoT is or where to find that setting in the router. Do you have any idea where I should look for this?

The Dnsmasq files are uploaded as a file. I am not sure what DoT is or where to find that setting in the router. Do you have any idea where I should look for this?
Again: Could you post the dnsmasq.conf file, view it with sf in Diversion.

I use DoT with alternative block file with no issues on lookups and the sort.

The closest method to diversion etc I’ve found for blocking ads and maintaining some semblance of privacy on mobile is to use cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 app and brave browser. But yeah, the best way is to have a VPN server in your router that your phone connects to.
Of course, it seems like mobile ads don't get blocked anyway since they source differently. Makes me a little sad, but I'm very pleased with the desktop solution.

Of course, it seems like mobile ads don't get blocked anyway since they source differently. Makes me a little sad, but I'm very pleased with the desktop solution.
Use Wireguard on your phone. The downside is that you can't run it on Merlin fw, but if you can run WG on a server or Rpi, etc, than just set configure, download the official app (I only use Android) and usr it always when you are out of hine wifi. It drains literarry a minimum battery and blazing fast. Previously I used OpenVPN, but it was way slower and drained way more the battery. WG is amazing. And you get adblocking, DoT, and encryption too on phone. Yes, maybe it is not ready for corporate use, but until now I didn't see any serious security threat identified. Especially not if you use it for everyday phone use.

I see it has been asked many times, but I couldn't find a final answer. I used Pihole until now, but I would give Diversion a try. Have a Sandisk Ultrafit USB 3.1 32GB. The router is Ac66u B1 running latest Merlin.
Maybe even add Skynet.

1) I guess I should use the USB 2 port and not the USB 3, correct?
2) I will format the usb drive with the script on router, but: ext2, ext3 or ext4? I see many suggest ext2, but also lot of posts about ext4. So what is the way to go?
3) what is the recommended swap file size? Diversion with pixel and biggest list + maybe Skynet.

I see it has been asked many times, but I couldn't find a final answer. I used Pihole until now, but I would give Diversion a try. Have a Sandisk Ultrafit USB 3.1 32GB. The router is Ac66u B1 running latest Merlin.
Maybe even add Skynet.

2) I will format the usb drive with the script on router, but: ext2, ext3 or ext4? I see many suggest ext2, but also lot of posts about ext4. So what is the way to go?
3) what is the recommended swap file size? Diversion with pixel and biggest list + maybe Skynet.
1. Use USB 2.0
2. Ext4
3. 512MB or 1024MB
Tip, start by installing AMTM from the same developer.

Maybe even add Skynet.

All of these really boil down to personal preference.
1) I'd try the USB 3 port ... if you get weirdness, move to USB2 or try putting it on the end of a short USB3 cable.
2) ext4 with journaling. Journaling should be on by default for ext4, but check.
3) I think 512MB is plenty, If you exhaust that, you have other problems.

So here's something odd I just encountered while trying to install AMTM on a new Asus AC-87 router. After ensuring that the JFFS partition was wiped, I inserted the USB drive into the USB slot on the back and confirmed it appears when logging into the router. I then attempted to enter the command into Putty to install AMTM. Nothing happens and it just drops the cursor to the line below waiting for another command. It doesn't show any failure message either. Any clues on what I may have missed?

fGd4nWn.jpg

Did you reboot it at least twice?

Did you enable scripts on JFFS?

Did you reboot it at least twice?

Did you enable scripts on JFFS?

Well it turns out that I didn't have an internet connection to that router because I had it connected off of my existing router. I'm trying to configure it without disconnecting my existing router. Can I do that by using Media Bridge mode or disabling DHCP?

*Edit. I should probably clarify that my existing router is using IP address 192.168.1.1 while the router I'm attempting to setup is using 192.168.0.1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!