What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diversion is blocking one of my local clients .
my top blocked domain is "BrotherPrinter1.homelan"
obviously it is not found in the block list.
but it is blocked. i can access host via IP but name resolution is blocked.
how can i debug this further?
it does not happen with any other client names, so it must be some partial string match on this particular name?
thanks

Diversion is blocking one of my local clients .
my top blocked domain is "BrotherPrinter1.homelan"
obviously it is not found in the block list.
but it is blocked. i can access host via IP but name resolution is blocked.
how can i debug this further?
it does not happen with any other client names, so it must be some partial string match on this particular name?
thanks
A wildcard blacklist? Find some entries in /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log showing the query and response. Then post your dnsmasq.conf (or parts of it).

YouTube ads have nothing to do with router firmware and no router (DNS) based ad blocker can block YouTube video ads. If you weren't seeing them before then you must just be lucky.

I did a fresh install of the firmware, of the Diversion, reformatted the thumb drive and im still seeing transparent ads on top of the YouTube videos, that pop up several times during many videos that I have never seen before. image bellow.
Im also seeing far more ads on many websites as well. I hate to reinstall everything from scratch again, but if there is no simple solution then ill start from beginning.

Everything was working perfectly a week ago. arghh.

N7rBRaf.png

EOdI98C.png

Last edited:
YouTube ads have nothing to do with router firmware and no router (DNS) based ad blocker can block YouTube video ads. If you weren't seeing them before then you must just be lucky.
Yea from what i understand the only way these days to block you-tube ads is with special browser extensions or just block video play all together. there is no special pill or remedy to fix this behavior because you-tube sends its videos through the same feeds the ads come in on.

Ive reinstalled 384.17 firmware 3 times today, each time re-downloading firmware from Merlins website.
Hard reset each time.
Even used a rescue mode.
Formated 2 USB thumb drives with ext2 and ext3.
Did a fresh install of Diversion +6 times.
Multiple formats of JFF partition.

Still getting ads that I did not see a week ago.

Going back to 384.16 firmware tomorrow.

At this time, im guessing there is an issue with .17 firmware, because I didn't have these issues with ads with .16 firmware.
Will test tomorrow with .16 firmware and report back.

Ive reinstalled 384.17 firmware 3 times today, each time re-downloading firmware from Merlins website.
Hard reset each time.
Even used a rescue mode.
Formated 2 USB thumb drives with ext2 and ext3.
Did a fresh install of Diversion +6 times.
Multiple formats of JFF partition.

Still getting ads that I did not see a week ago.

Going back to 384.16 firmware tomorrow.

At this time, im guessing there is an issue with .17 firmware, because I didn't have these issues with ads with .16 firmware.
Will test tomorrow with .16 firmware and report back.
Did you ever test with the f option in Diversion to see what Dnsmasq says?
Your device might use its own "domain to IP resolution" and not go through the routers Dnsmasq.

Would it be possible make edit whitelist/blacklist more user friendly, please? I don't know how many people are going to "edit *list" just to see it's content, but I bet there are more people open it to add a domain to it.

Would be awesome if options were presented first after entering "Edit *list" section. And option to process the list was presented after adding a domain without need of going back into list's options.

Thank you.
You know there's a pagination setting, right?
For the next Diversion update I have added the option to paginate at 5 lines, this makes the presented list of entries shorter.
And option to process the list was presented after adding a domain without need of going back into list's options.
After the domain is added, instead of returning to "2. Show whitelist options" when the selection is " [1-2 e=Exit]", you can simply enter e to exit, twice and it will ask to process the changes in the list.

I believe this will make it more user friendly. I'm not going to change the whole logic as you proposed as this would affect A LOT of code.
Also, your avatar is as of yet unchanged.

Also, if Diversion was down for some amount of time, (at least Firefox) will cache some DNS information, so even when Diversion goes back up if FF has that data for ad servers you'll keep seeing them. Look into flushing the browser DNS caches and that may help. (Source: I've had this happen to me.)

Also, if Diversion was down for some amount of time, (at least Firefox) will cache some DNS information, so even when Diversion goes back up if FF has that data for ad servers you'll keep seeing them. Look into flushing the browser DNS caches and that may help. (Source: I've had this happen to me.)

The browser is caching or the client/computer OS is caching? I suppose both could be caching DNS...

But Windows definitely, does quite a bit of DNS caching...

Diversion 4.1.12 is now available

What's new in Diversion 4.1.12
- NEW: Additional theme solarized to choose from. Thanks @Stuart MacDonald for the code.
- CHANGED: Enhanced NTP ready check.
- CHANGED: Wording in Diversion update notification email for available amtm third-party scripts.
- CHANGED: Added option to paginate at 5 lines in el.

Note: If you use amtm, update it now for compatibility, the order does not matter.

How to update
Use u to update to this latest version.

The above Diversion update might not include the long awaited WebUI code, but rest assured its coming.
Coding the new functions into amtm 3.1.7 took much longer but the result is very satisfying to me.

I know Firefox does its own.

I've pushed a minor update for Diversion, no version change

This fixes the double count in the stats function when IPv6 is enabled.

A pull request for @Jack Yaz uiDivStats will be made shortly.

Use u to update.

I've pushed a minor update for Diversion, no version change

This fixes the double count in the stats function when IPv6 is enabled.

A pull request for @Jack Yaz uiDivStats will be made shortly.

Use u to update.

Thanks a lot.

Directly after the update, it double counts the domains (IPv6 on). I had to do a manual block list update to show the correct count (divided by two).

Did you ever test with the f option in Diversion to see what Dnsmasq says?
Your device might use its own "domain to IP resolution" and not go through the routers Dnsmasq.

Doesn't say much.

May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: query[A] keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net from 192.160.100.13
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: forwarded keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net to 192.168.100.1
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.143.124
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.154
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.168
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.176
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.203
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.208
May 5 01:12:03 dnsmasq[5259]: reply keyvalueservice.fe.apple-dns.net is 17.248.134.211

Cleared all caches and dns. Flushed everything, using terminal commands.
In the past, this tactic did work, but its not working for some reason at this time.

All websites did require manually entering credentials; emails, banking, medical, etc etc. So I think I cleared everything out.

The ad overlay on top of YouTube video is something I have never seen before. It could be new and just been implemented by Youtube. But last week I did not see the overlay ads on top of videos. I attached image in my earlier post.

Do you see overlay ads in YouTube videos??

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!