What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone remember the name of the application where I can access my router's file directory via a user friendly interface?

iirc it used to be mentioned on the diversion requirements showing the path to the whitelist or maybe it was mentioned some place else but I cannot find it anymore.

I wish to use this approach as I have a whitelist text file I want to paste into the relevant directory.

Thanks
WinSCP is what you want for windows.
https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/development-tools.html
Use the scp protocol, not sftp. Then use your router login credentials.
I work VERY extensively with it.

No can do. It would stray away from apple ecosystem.
Let me explain.
If I log in to a bank account or in to my medical records at Medstar using Safari on Mac. The login information will be seamlessly shared across all my Apple devices via cloud as long as I use Safari. So if I want to log in to my bank on my iPhone for the first time, the login info will be shared from laptop to phone with one touch.
If I change bank password on iPhone, Mac will get the updated password. If I change routers password on iPad, ...Mac and iPhone will get new password under a minute.
WiFi passwords are also shared across all devices through cloud.
Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc cant do that, because they have no ecosystem . Thats why I chose apple ecosystem. I love simplicity even though I was a dedicated Windows and Android user for many many years.
Even 7 years ago, connecting a network printer to a Mac was soooooo simple. It took less than 15sec.

But we can discuss the details in another post if you would like.

Chrome and Edge are also sharing that information over all devices...if there is a Google/Microsoft-Account and Chrome and/or Windows is installed.

Same thing....

I've pushed a minor update for Diversion, no version change

This fixes the incorrect domain count in the stats function.
Sorry about that but two wrongs don't magically make it right. This is fixed now. Third time's the charm.

A pull request for @Jack Yaz uiDivStats has been made.

Use u to update.

Reactions: a5m
@tomsk Thanks for the extensive reply and explaining host file.
@thelonelycoder Thankyou that was the one I was looking for. btw the xshell link on that page leads to a 404 page not found.
Fixed their changed link, thanks.

I stopped using Pixelserv a week or so ago after I noticed 184 pixelserv-tls processes (really threads) stemming from a blocked domain triggered while my Termius iOS ssh client was running. It never let up. So some apps may be persistent and repeatedly try to access a blocked domain rapidly in succession, spawning many pixelserv-tls threads visible in htop. I believe I read before that Instagram was another such app.

Otherwise, Diversion itself is very memory friendly if using anything smaller than the Large blocking list. Plus hosts are also of questionable value for me personally and add a lot of hosts to the memory footprint.

Start small, start Lite and observe.

@dave14305 ...are you still not using pixelsev? I read on here that running both diversion and pixelserv can give you issues with the Amazon app ( its my wife complaining). I have disabled it to test it out. Would I need to remove the pixelserv CAs from my devices if Im no longer using pixelserv?

This is a great intel.

I was a windows user since Win 3.1. In the last 3 years I slowly merged in to Apple Ecosystem on a budget. And I do love Apple Ecosystem. I wont go in to details why so not to highjack the thread.
But the ad blockers on Safari just aren't that good on iOS or Mac OS. I dont use Chrome or Firefox anymore, because of Safari ecosystem.
I have AdGuard on all of my 3 Apple devices, that were highly recommended by many website reviews, but Diversion does block ads far better in my experience then any top 3 ad blockers on MacOS and on iOS.

If ublock, 1blocker, Origin, Adblocker, Adblockplus, etc etc etc. Were useful on MacOS and on iOS, we would not need Diversion.
Wipr is great, but has no white list. Not much of community and limited support.

Back on topic.
Bail on Safari for macOS (and mobile for that matter). They have completely crippled the browser. My work and personal machines are both macOS; I use Brave as my daily driver on both (Brave is a de-Googled Chromium-based browser with ad-blocking).

Even with using Brave and extensions, I would still highly recommend having a DNS Sinkhole like Diversion. As I previously mentioned, you cannot install content blockers on IoT devices or mobile phones or Fire Sticks etc. Diversion is your buddy in this instance.

Adguard on mobile devices sets up a 'fake VPN' and sinkholes domains; you're already doing that when using Diversion. Adguard is good when you leave the house, I suppose, but you can always VPN home and have the benefits of Diversion. In other words, when you're on your home network, Adguard on mobile devices is as good as being on WiFi with Diversion. Also note that Adguard has a policy of showing "acceptable ads" which this is my stance on that: https://blockads.fivefilters.org/acceptable.html

Also note that they have Brave for iOS, which is also what I am using. Ad-blocking is a constant battle... just needs to have all the right pieces aligned.

@dave14305 ...are you still not using pixelsev? I read on here that running both diversion and pixelserv can give you issues with the Amazon app ( its my wife complaining). I have disabled it to test it out. Would I need to remove the pixelserv CAs from my devices if Im no longer using pixelserv?
You can remove them or not; they aren't hurting anything by being left behind after disabling pixelserv-tls on your router. In fact, I suggest keeping them for a little bit in the event you choose to go back.

I'm using it again for now. But even if I weren't going to use it, I would keep the CA installed on my devices because my router webui certificate is created by Pixelserv.

Aaaand - I've pushed another minor update for Diversion, still no version change

While fixing the uiDivStats and Diversions stats function domain count, I noticed a slight discrepancy in numbers when whitelisting through the el function.
This update fixes that and now also correctly updates the blocked domains counter in the UI header.

Note: Before doing any whitelisting with el before the blocking list update day, update the blocking list manually with bu.
The format has slightly changed for the desired count accuracy.

Use u to update.

No can do. It would stray away from apple ecosystem.
Let me explain.
If I log in to a bank account or in to my medical records at Medstar using Safari on Mac. The login information will be seamlessly shared across all my Apple devices via cloud as long as I use Safari. So if I want to log in to my bank on my iPhone for the first time, the login info will be shared from laptop to phone with one touch.
If I change bank password on iPhone, Mac will get the updated password. If I change routers password on iPad, ...Mac and iPhone will get new password under a minute.
WiFi passwords are also shared across all devices through cloud.
Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc cant do that, because they have no ecosystem . Thats why I chose apple ecosystem. I love simplicity even though I was a dedicated Windows and Android user for many many years.
Even 7 years ago, connecting a network printer to a Mac was soooooo simple. It took less than 15sec.

But we can discuss the details in another post if you would like.

Not much to discuss here. As @--Manu-- stated above, Edge Chromium with an MS account works as well or better (in my experience) than outdated Safari and the walled garden MAC system. No comparison. :)

I need to use an MBP for some of my customers but everything important within is with a MS account. :)

What is really disturbing to me about the 'Apple ecosystem' is that they treat my data as theirs. MS doesn't. I always have full access to my data whether I'm using a PC or not.

@KGB7

Did you recently update your macOS? I ask because in the last couple of versions Apple made changes that neutered the ad blockers and they do not work any more. The extentions are still available, but if you read the comments, or do a search about this, they simply do not work any more.

@KGB7

Did you recently update your macOS? I ask because in the last couple of versions Apple made changes that neutered the ad blockers and they do not work any more. The extentions are still available, but if you read the comments, or do a search about this, they simply do not work any more.
That’s it. Case closed.
I have an old Mac mini but it gets no more updates and so I can’t test any more.

A new blocklist specifically around protecting from COVID-19 scams/malware. Anyone tried it yet? I've just added it for kicks, in lieu of a vaccine. :rolleyes:

https://www.cyberthreatcoalition.org/blocklist
Interesting...went to the link but did not download the blocklist. I don't think I've seen any COVID19 attacks on my end...yet. Has anyone seen any and/or who's willing to download?

A new blocklist specifically around protecting from COVID-19 scams/malware. Anyone tried it yet? I've just added it for kicks, in lieu of a vaccine. :rolleyes:

https://www.cyberthreatcoalition.org/blocklist
I take it that you downloaded a copy and prepended 0.0.0.0 to every row.

Too bad they don't publish in this format so it could be automatically kept up to date.

@KGB7

Last update was about a month ago. Catalina 10.15.4
But, im seeing instances where AdGuard is not working on iOS and on MacOS. I'll have to research more in to this.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi everyone,

Question from a total non-techie (well, almost total): is there anything that either Diversion or SkyNet would be doing that would block my Desktop PC from connecting to my Echo Studio when listening via Spotify? All of a sudden I can't play Spotify through my Echo. I can play SiriusXM no problem. I'm guessing it's a temporary outage somewhere else, because I've been using Diversion and SkyNet for some time without any issues (see my signature below). Still, just checking...

Thanks,
Anton

Hi everyone,

Question from a total non-techie (well, almost total): is there anything that either Diversion or SkyNet would be doing that would block my Desktop PC from connecting to my Echo Studio when listening via Spotify? All of a sudden I can't play Spotify through my Echo. I can play SiriusXM no problem. I'm guessing it's a temporary outage somewhere else, because I've been using Diversion and SkyNet for some time without any issues (see my signature below). Still, just checking...

Thanks,
Anton
Looks like an outage.
https://outage.report/spotify

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!