What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had a lot of issues with Diversion becoming slow and failing to load every couple of days. A re-plugging of the USB2 2gb drive often solved the problem, although sometimes the drive had to be reformatted. At other times I had to reinstall Diversion. Other scripts, including SkyNet were not affected.

I replaced the USB flash drive, with a USB2 8gb, and the issues now seem to have been "permanently' resolved.

Last edited:
This actually happened to me a few weeks back and I had to re-install Diversion. I've done as you say, and although on the Diversion menu it shows logging is enabled when I try to follow the log I receive this error

Code:
 Error  logging is disabled, enable it first.

As you can see in this thread, earlier today I was able to see the log (and copied and pasted into a comment).

Maybe to save the others here the hassle I ought to just re-install again?

When you follow the logfile, does it show the log?
If not toggle logging off/on.

I forced an update (uu>Enter) to see if that would correct the issue, and this is what happened:

Code:
i  Checking dnsmasq.conf entries
  i  Waiting for blockinglist entry...
  ✖  blockinglist entry timed out
  i  Waiting for log-facility entry...

I forced an update (uu>Enter) to see if that would correct the issue, and this is what happened:

Code:
i  Checking dnsmasq.conf entries
  ✖  blockinglist entry timed out
Restarting Dnsmasq fails obviously. Hence no logging and ad-blocking. Diversion uses a well established way to add its uncritical entries. I'm practically sure some other script is the culprit.

Last edited:
Restarting Dnsmasq fails obviously. Hence no logging and ad-blocking. Dibersion uses a well established way to add its uncritical entries. I'm practically sure some other script is the culprit.

I think you're right, logging was working today. Then I updated uiDivStats this after, and this problem started after doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never ever do system critical things at 4:30 in the morning, still half asleep and the coffee machine not even running.
I had a bad night and woke up with a stiff neck early Friday morning. Formatted a USB stick in my local Centos 7 system and plugged it into a testrouter. At the same time that Linux system had some updates which I installed. It reqested to reboot which I happly let it do.
Meanwhile, I look at the stick on the router, seeing all the files that should no longer be there.
It dawned on me that something dreadful happened.

I am in the process of setting up a new Centos 8 server as I write this.
I did have a backup of all the latest files. All amtm and Diversion development files are edited and stored directly on that server, for convenience and out of habit. The nightly backup to the NAS worked I found or else this would have been a major setback as I did a large change in the Diversion WebUI files the night before.

Again, don't do what I did.

I have daily disk imaging of my desktop sent to my NAS. Worst case scenario means I lose 24 hours of work.

Saved me twice as a %#&&% Windows update automatically rebooted my desktop while I was in the middle of a git operation on the VM, corrupting that VM's filesystem beyond repair. That was in the early days of Windows 10, when Microsoft's idea of "this PC isn't busy right now, let's reboot it" didn't take into account that a PC can be busy even if there isn't someone behind the monitor at the time...

Solved, the Script causing the issue was ... NextDNS https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns/wiki/AsusWRT-Merlin

I won't be testing that script again.
I am not sure that *is* the culprit as I have been through the same problem multiple times where the loggging is on according to Diversion *but* the log cannot be followed because the "logging is not enabled !!!"

I have never used the NextDNS script.

I have toggled logging on/off multiple times and it did not solve the problem.
In the end I have run through every possible option (disable/reenable 'a' Blocking / 'l' Logging / reset Logs via 'D' Option 7 ) to try to force the log file to be picked up & ended up re-installing Diversion.

I think it is something interacting with diversion but have not been able to identify what.

I cannot define a repeatable sequence that causes the problem, so have not been able to report the issue.

Now someone else has demonstrated the issue and it is not just me. :)

I am not sure that *is* the culprit as I have been through the same problem multiple times where the loggging is on according to Diversion *but* the log cannot be followed because the "logging is not enabled !!!"

In the end I have run through every possible option (disable/reenable 'a' Blocking / 'l' Logging / reset Logs via 'D' Option 7 ) to try to force the log file to be picked up & ended up re-installing Diversion.

I think it is something interacting with diversion but have not been able to identify what.

I cannot define a repeatable sequence that causes the problem, so have not been able to report the issue.

I don't know, mate. All I can see is that prior to Diversion logging not working (but indicating in the menu it was on) I did not have NextDNS installed, after installing it logging failed. Then I deleted NextDNS and logging is working again. I have left my Terminal app on all night with the log active and its going great.

Thanks again for everyone's help over the last week. I tend to come to this forum every so often, then get busy with other things non computer related and forget everything I learn here. But I have started saving [How To] notes to try and remember everything.

Problem noted.

Thanks again for everyone's help over the last week. I tend to come to this forum every so often, then get busy with other things non computer related and forget everything I learn here. But I have started saving [How To] notes to try and remember everything.
Never mind the sarcastic comments ;)

Thanks to thelonelycoder and Diversion, I have twitter (and facebook) blocked.

I block all of Facebook, but I use WhatsApp, and I don't use Instagram but don't block it as I often watch videos embedded in articles. I use Twitter anonymously and don't have family or friends on it, it's just for politics. And I use Reddit. I love Diversion, it's brilliant, I block other Social Media as well. Honestly, the 90's were great when these services weren't around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!