What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OpenVPN should be somewhat faster and more secure (than IPSec), but as stated above it's not a native application. Getting a bit off-topic in this Diversion thread though.
Meanwhile, MAN stupid YouTube ads are getting aggravating! Wait 5 seconds, click "Skip Ads," have ANOTHER ad pop up, wait another 5 seconds... then sometimes they drop another ad in the middle of a 5-minute song. Grrrr. Don't think there's much we're going to be able to do about this. *sigh*

I remain grateful for what ad-blocking I DO get.

As a matter of interest - I use a combo of Diversion YouTube blocking and add to my desktop Chrome and Firefox browsers - the uBlock Origin extension [which does an awesome job of blocking YouTube Adds in particular].

Diversion catches the adds at router level [and builds up its YouTube IP block list] while uBlock Origin [at browser level] cleans up the "first time hits" that slip through Diversion once only. I then hop onto my desktop and let videos run on the family favourite sites to build up "herd immunity" within the router ;).

Check it out on Github here.

^^^
Have you forced all your DNS traffic to go thru the router? In some cases, these "SmartA&& apps" hardcode their own DNS servers into the app... to be sure you see their crappy ads. Sometimes there's little you can do about that...

LAN > DNSFilter > Enable DNS-based Filtering > ON --> Router.

View attachment 26171
Thanks.
It was not enabled, so I did that. But I'm still having ads. I should be working on my old SmartTV, since I have used Adblocking DNS on it. What other settings do I have to to set in the router?

Well that's pretty epic. I have uBlock on another machine but annoyingly Firefox is kind of broken on my laptop. Only runs in Safe Mode for some reason... so zero extensions. :/ But this might be additional fodder to try and fix it...

I've had a problem with the Facebook app for Android for a month or so. If I want to read an article on FB in the application, I get the error like in the attachment. They are different domains. What do i need to unlock?
Screenshot_2020-09-13-12-14-35-409_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I'm in the process of switching from pi hole to diversion just to simplify things on my network and also because of the youtube ad blocking. I know that the youtube ad blocker has to "learn" what the googlevideo ad domains are by letting the ads play then adding them to a blacklist so I've been letting youtube stream in a background tab for about 24 hours now and I'm up to 38 domains in the blacklist but I'm still getting ads between almost every video. Is there kind of a general rule of thumb for how many domains need to be in the blacklist before ad frequency starts to drop?

I've had a problem with the Facebook app for Android for a month or so. If I want to read an article on FB in the application, I get the error like in the attachment. They are different domains. What do i need to unlock?
You can try a couple of things. Go into the SSH Diversion menu and use follow the dnsmasq.log on option 2, 3, or 4, and then try to load your pages. If you get a bunch of red entries then they're getting blocked there, and you can whitelist them if necessary. You can also go into the Skynet 12-1-1 (Debug) menu to look for connections blocked by the firewall and whitelist them if necessary.

I'm in the process of switching from pi hole to diversion just to simplify things on my network and also because of the youtube ad blocking. I know that the youtube ad blocker has to "learn" what the googlevideo ad domains are by letting the ads play then adding them to a blacklist so I've been letting youtube stream in a background tab for about 24 hours now and I'm up to 38 domains in the blacklist but I'm still getting ads between almost every video. Is there kind of a general rule of thumb for how many domains need to be in the blacklist before ad frequency starts to drop?
I dunno man. I still get tons of Youtube ads. Finally fixed my Firefox and the uBlock Extension seems to keep them at bay. Where are you seeing the auto Youtube blacklist?

Mine's at 200 or so but I still see Youtube ads every video. DNS blocking for YouTube ads is a futile endeavor. You should just use an adblocking extension on your browser.

Well that's pretty epic. I have uBlock on another machine but annoyingly Firefox is kind of broken on my laptop. Only runs in Safe Mode for some reason... so zero extensions. :/ But this might be additional fodder to try and fix it...

there were several branches of ublock... ublock origin is the one you want (if you manage to fix firefox)...

Yeah; the last page of this thread motivated me to fix it. No ads today! :D

Way off topic, but there is an Ublock extension for Safari (fake ublock origin), its junk. I had problems with Firefox on osx also, ended up reformatting the drive and fresh install of osx, the conversion to APFS from HFS+ left some residual and hard to diagnose problems. Firefox flies after that, and the real Ublock origin is fresh, it is no longer being developed for Safari afaik.

By looking into the Syslog.

what specifically am I looking for? Rebooted router yesterday morning and ads weren't being blocked when I woke up today...

most recent log entry is:

Sep 14 05:20:04 Diversion: rotated dnsmasq log files

before that is:

Sep 14 02:00:09 Diversion: started second Dnsmasq instance for alternate blocking list
Sep 14 02:00:09 Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings
Sep 14 02:00:46 Skynet: [#] 309169 IPs (+0) -- 1763 Ranges Banned (+0) || 157 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [whitelist] [36s]
Sep 14 02:00:54 Diversion: updated Medium (primary) blocking list from 2 hosts files, 92696 domains are now blocked
Sep 14 02:00:54 Diversion: hostslist file empty, not updating blocking list [yes, my secondary block list is supposed to be empty]

before this looks like just diversion booting up

Mine's at 200 or so but I still see Youtube ads every video. DNS blocking for YouTube ads is a futile endeavor. You should just use an adblocking extension on your browser.

I typically use uBlock in my browser but I have it turned off right now so I can train diversion. Really what I'm after is blocking youtube ads for things like smart TVs, Rokus, etc, where I can't run uBlock. If you have any suggestions there I'd love to hear them.

Running 7 blocking list atm in diversion and have 144 ads blocked in YT.....Yes some are still getting through, but its still learning
On my firestick I do have apk of Adguard running, which seems to be helping there also

Diversion.png

I typically use uBlock in my browser but I have it turned off right now so I can train diversion. Really what I'm after is blocking youtube ads for things like smart TVs, Rokus, etc, where I can't run uBlock. If you have any suggestions there I'd love to hear them.
You don't need to turn uBlock off to train Diversion. Diversion is on the router and sees the ads before they get to your browser.

You don't need to turn uBlock off to train Diversion. Diversion is on the router and sees the ads before they get to your browser.
Actually, the browser extension prevents outgoing domains in some cases which then get caught in Diversion.
Diversion blocks outgoing requests, not incoming.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!