What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Actually, the browser extension prevents outgoing domains in some cases which then get caught in Diversion.
Diversion blocks outgoing requests, not incoming.
Thanks for the clarification!

Do you then recommend turning off browser-based adblockers to better 'train' Diversion and its YouTube blocking feature?

I have a few questions/observations.

For the first time, I entered a group of whitelist domains based on a wildcard and in the process I was prompted to change the setting below from the default 20 to 1.
Screenshot - 14_09_2020 , 19_41_59.jpg

It became apparent however that at least one of the several whitelisted domains were still being blocked. However, when I reset item 2 back to the default 20 setting, the whitelisted domain was no longer blocked. Can anyone explain this to me and also, what exactly does changing the value of item 2 actually do?

Two other quick questions, why would I have to connect to youtube before setting up the experimental ad-blocking feature and is there anything I would need to be aware of if I decided to try out this feature?

why would I have to connect to youtube before setting up the experimental ad-blocking feature and is there anything I would need to be aware of if I decided to try out this feature?
The experimental YouTube blocking depends on Diversion learning what specific IPs are being used in your location for serving YouTube videos (and therefore ads). What works in one geography (or ISP) won't necessarily work in another, based on Google's vast content delivery network. It's David against Goliath...

Thanks.
It was not enabled, so I did that. But I'm still having ads. I should be working on my old SmartTV, since I have used Adblocking DNS on it. What other settings do I have to to set in the router?
Diversion (with Pixelserv) won't get every ad but it gets a lot for use. With YT, it's wack-a-mole so all that "as-is/experimental". I also use the real UBLOCK in FF and Brave... I see very few annoying ads.

The YouTube ad blocking feature is not working that great for me either. I found a Smart YouTube app that can be installed on Android devices that is supposed to block ads. I just installed in on my FireTV and will report back.

The efficacy of Diversion's experimental YouTube blocking feature has been discussed ad nauseam since its release. It doesn't work well (no disrespect to the coder) period. It works, but not well. uBlock Origin is way more effective. I run Diversion mostly for its ability to filter on my wireless devices whose browsers don't take to addons well. On my Desktop, I use browser-based ad-blocking. It's what works.

I am trying to whitelist a few domains to get the amazon app working again. I am using the Standard file.
watched the logfile for blocked domains while I used the app, then tried to add them to the whitelist.
I found that when it searched the blocklist for the domain I entered, it would not find it, yet it would show up in the list of near match(es), even when I copied the name from the near miss list.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Rearden

no exact match found in blocking file for
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
no need to add it to the whitelist

found near match(es) in blocking file:

macro.adnami.io macshield8.club macskajaj.net macuser.uk.intellitxt.com macwelt.de.intellitxt.com macworld.uk.intellitxt.com mad.uk.intellitxt.com mad2.brandreachsys.com madadsmedia.com madagascaroasis.org madamenoire.moengage.com madamenoire.us.intellitxt.com madclient.uimserv.net madcpms.com madeinprl.pl madisonavenue.com madl-len.pl madmulla.duckdns.org madpenguin.us.intellitxt.com mads.amazon-adsystem.com
:: macro.adnami.io macshield8.club macskajaj.net macuser.uk.intellitxt.com macwelt.de.intellitxt.com macworld.uk.intellitxt.com mad.uk.intellitxt.com mad2.brandreachsys.com madadsmedia.com madagascaroasis.org madamenoire.moengage.com madamenoire.us.intellitxt.com madclient.uimserv.net madcpms.com madeinprl.pl madisonavenue.com madl-len.pl madmulla.duckdns.org madpenguin.us.intellitxt.com mads.amazon-adsystem.com

Something must have been off on my install. I did a force update and it seems to find things now. :)

I am trying to whitelist a few domains to get the amazon app working again. I am using the Standard file.
watched the logfile for blocked domains while I used the app, then tried to add them to the whitelist.
I found that when it searched the blocklist for the domain I entered, it would not find it, yet it would show up in the list of near match(es), even when I copied the name from the near miss list.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Rearden

no exact match found in blocking file for
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
no need to add it to the whitelist

found near match(es) in blocking file:

macro.adnami.io macshield8.club macskajaj.net macuser.uk.intellitxt.com macwelt.de.intellitxt.com macworld.uk.intellitxt.com mad.uk.intellitxt.com mad2.brandreachsys.com madadsmedia.com madagascaroasis.org madamenoire.moengage.com madamenoire.us.intellitxt.com madclient.uimserv.net madcpms.com madeinprl.pl madisonavenue.com madl-len.pl madmulla.duckdns.org madpenguin.us.intellitxt.com mads.amazon-adsystem.com
:: macro.adnami.io macshield8.club macskajaj.net macuser.uk.intellitxt.com macwelt.de.intellitxt.com macworld.uk.intellitxt.com mad.uk.intellitxt.com mad2.brandreachsys.com madadsmedia.com madagascaroasis.org madamenoire.moengage.com madamenoire.us.intellitxt.com madclient.uimserv.net madcpms.com madeinprl.pl madisonavenue.com madl-len.pl madmulla.duckdns.org madpenguin.us.intellitxt.com mads.amazon-adsystem.com

The YouTube ad blocking feature is not working that great for me either. I found a Smart YouTube app that can be installed on Android devices that is supposed to block ads. I just installed in on my FireTV and will report back.

I have Smart YouTube installed on my Nvidia Shield - not a single add since installed. Love it.

i am the only one who's diversion is not working at all i am new can someone help me ?

I have Smart YouTube installed on my Nvidia Shield - not a single add since installed. Love it.
Used the app yesterday and not one ad. So far so good.

i am the only one who's diversion is not working at all i am new can someone help me ?
Please provide router model, firmware version and symptoms or issues you are experiencing so we can be of assistance.

the router is RT-AC86U firmware:merlin 384.19 and the issue is i installed diversion and skynet but diversion its seems is not working to block ads at all maybe i misconfigured something. srry for bad english.

i followed a video on yt about install but for me is not working i tried reset the router reinstall all again remove my vpn change config in the router but no nothing. all ads is still there. is there something that i need to look specifically.

s there something that i need to look specifically
When you open Diversion via AMTM does it look like this?

Attachments

• amtmdiv.jpg
    amtmdiv.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 132
YES but the ads are present on every single device
Sounds like your requests are bypassing Diversion. Check your DNS filter setting under LAN that it is set to router, and connect to DNS server automatically under WAN is NO. Other than that system logs, and this site.

edit: also did you restore jffs after you updated to .19 according to directions in the changelog, there has been some reports of problems, for the 86U with that update that can effect scripts.

Last edited:
after update i resetted all and reinstall from 0 everything

after update i resetted all and reinstall from 0 everything
Ensure diversion is working correctly by running this on the router:
Bash:
nslookup diversion-adblocking-ip.address 127.0.0.1
It should return your Pixelserv IP 192.168.187.8. If it does, you know that Diversion is integrated correctly with dnsmasq.

You mentioned a VPN earlier. How is it setup?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!