What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, cross-posting from another thread as it is relevant to Diversion and can help other users.

In the page https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/diversion-is-installed-and-i-still-see-ads.html it is mentioned

Newer Android Devices use hard coded IP addresses for some domains. This circumvents Dnsmasq and with it Diversion.
To force all devices to resolve through your router, set Enable DNS-based Filtering to ON in LAN / DNSFilter on the router WebUI. Then select Router as the Global Filter Mode.

I have done that but didn't work for my Oneplus 6t. Having searched further, I have found this thread:

The advice is basically to force the DNS from the router. I have tested it and it works.

Do you see any issue if I hard code my router IP as primary and secondary DNS in LAN --> DHCP Server --> DNS and WINS Server Setting?

Thank you!
Per the Dnsmasq Man page:
By default, dnsmasq sends some standard options to DHCP clients, the netmask and broadcast address are set to the same as the host running dnsmasq, and the DNS server and default route are set to the address of the machine running dnsmasq.
This is also shown as a hint when hovering over the DNS Server 1 and 2 fields.
One would expect this to work as is. But it looks like some devices just need some more enforcing than the workaround that I posted on the Diversion website.
It seems to be a matter of the time that apps and devices may come with hard coded ways to resolve things. That was not the case years ago.

Let me know how setting DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 to the routers IP works after a while. I've set them on my main router too to see for myself.

Let me know how setting DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 to the routers IP works after a while. I've set them on my main router too to see for myself.

So far so good... Been using it all day, in and out of work VPN, many devices etc. and all seems to be working properly (TV, mobile, laptops etc.). Will let you know should I find any surprises but for now it's perfect...

Thanks for this great tool!

Per the Dnsmasq Man page:
This is also shown as a hint when hovering over the DNS Server 1 and 2 fields.
One would expect this to work as is. But it looks like some devices just need some more enforcing than the workaround that I posted on the Diversion website.
It seems to be a matter of the time that apps and devices may come with hard coded ways to resolve things. That was not the case years ago.

I’ve set Server1 & 2 to = my router’s ip.
Router took offence & needed a reboot to function once more, but, all good since then.:cool:

I'm trying to add <here was a link to an host file> as a custom host list (yt blocking testing purposes), but the list doesn't seem to be loading properly. None of the blocked domains are found when I try to search for them. Is it because of the size of this host file?

update: the host file sadly also doesn't block yt videos and even prevents them from playing!

Last edited:
I'm trying to add https://www.sunshine.it/blacklist.txt as a custom host list (yt blocking testing purposes), but the list doesn't seem to be loading properly. None of the blocked domains are found when I try to search for them. Is it because of the size of this host file?
The file works just fine. Maybe my search function in b, 5. Find domain in hosts file(s) is broken :mad:

I'm trying to add https://www.sunshine.it/blacklist.txt as a custom host list (yt blocking testing purposes), but the list doesn't seem to be loading properly. None of the blocked domains are found when I try to search for them. Is it because of the size of this host file?
Found where it's missing a specific search pattern for the b, 5 search function. Will be fixed in the next Diversion update.
Thanks for reporting!

I'm currently using "Large" blocking list in Diversion.
How can I add https://www.sunshine.it/blacklist.txt in addition to "Large" to Diversion?

Edit:
It seems I have to make a custom blocking list...hmm.. trying

Edit2:
Can I simply choose this link in Diversion? https://pastebin.com/raw/1ESXDy8e

Edit3:
Seems to work, but I expected a rise in the number of blocked domains. Instead, I got the exact same number. Strange...

Last edited:
sadly the Sunshine host list doesn't block youtube ads on my end, it even prevents youtube videos from starting properly (endless starting/buffering loop)
Like I said in my initial post, it was for testing purposes!

@Ubimo, in the main menu of Diversion select:

b (blocking list), then
1 (change composition), then
2 (customize hosts list) then
1 (add hosts list), then
- paste the web url to the specific host list (and make sure it's compatible with Diversion!), then
e (=exit), and finally
1 (update list now)

In the same (customize hosts list) menu you can also remove custom added host list(s).

Last edited:
Thanks for the Sunshine list , has been working here for me, I can see it working, but like you said, some of the ads it’s catching, but then again the YT beta feature should catch the rest

Last edited:
This experimental feature is an attempt to reduce YouTube video ads. The success rate that it prevents ads from playing is relatively low but can be at times very high or frustratingly ineffective.

After setup, all devices running through the router help adding to the forced IP redirect list which typically grows to a unique domain count of about 200-400 over time. The Skip Ad button, if shown, can safely be clicked, the request for the domain has at this time already passed through the router and will be picked up at the next count point (counter at x of xx) and added if not previously seen to the redirect list.

I believe some changes I made in the local development code may have increased the success rate, pending further testing and tweaking. Cross fingers and keep your hopes low...

Hey brother. Thanks for all your hard work. Diversion helps me block many ads in some of the android apps I use.
Could you explain what the diversion/youtube ad blocker means when it says "counter at"?

I am pleased to report that after two months of use or so, the Smart YouTube app has been working great at blocking ads for me on Android streaming devices (e.g. Fire TV, Nvidia Shield). I use the stable version. The app is actively maintained. There have been many updates recently.

It would be great to integrate this somehow in Diversion :) It's also too bad this doesn't work on the AppleTV

Hey brother. Thanks for all your hard work. Diversion helps me block many ads in some of the android apps I use.
Could you explain what the diversion/youtube ad blocker means when it says "counter at"?
Diversion looks at the Dnsmasq log to find new YT domains to add to the list. It does this depending on YT usage with an interval counter from 1 to 32 minutes. Whenever a new domain is found, the counter resets to 1, incrementally increasing up to 32 if none are found. This helps reduce router resources usage.

It would be great to integrate this somehow in Diversion :) It's also too bad this doesn't work on the AppleTV
o_O All done. Next up: Windows 10, MacOS and a proprietary version of Linux also get integrated into Diversion. :confused:

@thelonelycoder Any updated ETA on your new version?

Thanks,
Anton
Hi Anton,

An updated ETA is in consideration and estimated to arrive in a post on this forum at the time when ETA equals Now.

Your welcome,
thelonelycoder :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!