What's new

Diversion Diversion Youtube adblocker is not not blocking ads.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KGB7

Very Senior Member
Router Asus AC68.
Firmware Merlin 384.18
Diversion 4.1.12

From my understanding it takes time for software to learn and over time it will block YouTube ads. I get it, its experimental.
Ive been watching YouTube videos for the past 3 hours and so far not a single ad has been blocked in YouTube videos.

How can I help to improve YouTube Ad blocking??

Cheers.

3 hours? Keep using it. Let us know after the full first week of January if you notice a decrease in the ads. :)

Too bad we're in lockdown. You could have your favorite relative's rug-rats over for a couple of hours and it will be done. ;)

its been totally ineffective for me as well for weeks now. in the past it would only take a few videos for it to effectively block ads.

For me, it was worse than ineffective. It was allowing ads and blocking some videos I wanted to see. I had to remove it.

3 hours? Keep using it. Let us know after the full first week of January if you notice a decrease in the ads. :)

Too bad we're in lockdown. You could have your favorite relative's rug-rats over for a couple of hours and it will be done. ;)

I watched Robot Wars for 4 hours straight yesterday. Now im watching 90s music videos. C+C Music Factory is my jam. ;)

This better work or I will be asking for a refund with interest. You feel me? :)

I watched Robot Wars for 4 hours straight yesterday. Now im watching 90s music videos. C+C Music Factory is my jam. ;)

This better work or I will be asking for a refund with interest. You feel me? :)
The YouTube customer and consumer satisfaction number is listed if you can find it.
"Thank you for calling the YouTube helpline. All our agents are busy right now. Expect a estimated wait time of onehundredandtwentytwo days, five hours and ten minutes. Your call may be monitored for monetization and exploitation purposes. Please don't hang up and hold while we present some customized offers from our affiliates."

Ah robot wars <3

Its Jan 6th 2021.

Ive watched over 100 hours of YouTube videos since i installed YouTube adblocker. Still no joy. Adblocker is not working.

I have no programing skills. So how else can I help to improve the adblocker? Tell me something specific to test and ill test it. I want to help but, you need to give me some kind of instructions, besides watching Extreme Couponing videos.

Cheers.

It is hit and miss for me. It does seems to have less ads.
Once enabled, it runs as a cron job. What I noticed is when there is new hosts found, the cronjob is run every minute. After stop watching YouTube, the cronjob time interval increased gradually from every minute, to every 2 minutes, then to every 5 minutes, later to every 10 minutes and finally stays at every 15 minutes.
*/15 * * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div #Diversion_YTblocking#

In syslog, I can see something like this when a new hosts is found and added to yt_blacklist.
Jan 6 13:00:02 Diversion: found 2 new YouTube hosts, total is 242 (counter at 22 of 30)

This total number of YouTube hosts found is also shown in diversion
el edit lists 1 w 20 b 0 wb 242 yt

Somehow I could not figure out how to check when an ads is blocked by the list.

@KGB7, it's the same date for YouTube too, unfortunately.

They have gotten infinitely smarter in the last 100 hours too (at circumventing adblocking) ...

I agree. The 'experimental' YT adblocker stopped blocking ads for me quite some time ago.

The YouTube customer and consumer satisfaction number is listed if you can find it.
"Thank you for calling the YouTube helpline. All our agents are busy right now. Expect a estimated wait time of onehundredandtwentytwo days, five hours and ten minutes. Your call may be monitored for monetization and exploitation purposes. Please don't hang up and hold while we present some customized offers from our affiliates."

I missed this one!
Great work!
[Edit] you forgot the “your call is important to us”. :cool:

Around 6-7 months ago, Adguard Adblocker Safari extension was working perfectly on MacOs for a month. Zero YouTube adds. Then one day all adds came-back.

Since installing Diversion and Skynet +6 months ago, I haven't used Adguard Adblocker extension. But im going to give it another try and see if they made improvements when it comes to YouTube adds.

I do use Adguard DNS with combination Diversion and Skynet. The combo of all 3, has made a big difference in my experience. I see zero adds on websites.
I can even do my State and Federal taxes online with out any issues.

I digress.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It is hit and miss for me. It does seems to have less ads.
Once enabled, it runs as a cron job. What I noticed is when there is new hosts found, the cronjob is run every minute. After stop watching YouTube, the cronjob time interval increased gradually from every minute, to every 2 minutes, then to every 5 minutes, later to every 10 minutes and finally stays at every 15 minutes.
*/15 * * * * sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div #Diversion_YTblocking#

In syslog, I can see something like this when a new hosts is found and added to yt_blacklist.
Jan 6 13:00:02 Diversion: found 2 new YouTube hosts, total is 242 (counter at 22 of 30)

This total number of YouTube hosts found is also shown in diversion
el edit lists 1 w 20 b 0 wb 242 yt

Somehow I could not figure out how to check when an ads is blocked by the list.

I'll be honest, you lost me at "cron job". Im a hands on hardware person vs coding. But im willing to learn.

What can I do to help?

Cheers.

Just install uBlock Origin in your browsers and be done with it. Let Diversion keep the ads out of your network, and uBlock take care Youtube and tidying up web pages.

Yes, that fine for my PC and Laptop, but not when I want to watch YT on my FireTV etc. However, YT adblocking was a 'nice to have' but was only ever experimental. I'm not going to loose any sleep over seeing the odd ad or six!

Thats a bummer, recently i came back to the Asus camp and saw this beta feature.
Enabled it and hoped it would work, didnt see any change in behaviour so thought i didnt have enough adds seen on Youtube for the list to work.
Now im at 141 so assume that should atleast block some but seeying it isnt working for others either i assume i can disable it again?

Yep. It never did anything for me. uBlock takes care of it all.

Yes, that fine for my PC and Laptop, but not when I want to watch YT on my FireTV etc. However, YT adblocking was a 'nice to have' but was only ever experimental. I'm not going to loose any sleep over seeing the odd ad or six!
Just download Smart YT app TV on your Firestick. You can find the instructions on YT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!