What's new

Dlink DIR-825, DAP-1522 bridge, Tivo, and Multicasting...Help!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gyzer

Occasional Visitor
This is my first post, so I hope this is the right forum for this.

Before I start off with my problem, here is my current setup:

server --wired--DIR-825--Wireless--DAP-1522(bridge)--Wired--Tivo

Background of the problem:

I am trying to run a program called Galleon which streams applications, music, and videos to a Tivo. Sadly though this is done using mDNS. Sadly, from everything I've read on the dlink forums, dlink broke multicasting a few firmware revisions ago.

The Big Problem:

What are some ways that I can overcome this with bypassing my DIR-825? I don't want to get rid of it as my gateway, its been wonderful up until this point.

I did find that this program worked if the server was on the same side of the bridge as the Tivo, but it can't stay on that side.

Below is an idea I had, not too sure if its the best solution though. The server is also my entire networks DNS, WINS, and DHCP server so it still needs to be connected to the DIR-825 wired, but my hope is that if I have those WAPs in place, that the mDNS packets will go through them, instead of through the DIR-825.

I'd really love some thoughts or ideas on how I might overcome this problem.

Thanks!

Attachments

• alternate_network_diagram.JPG
    alternate_network_diagram.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 242
i use a program called pytivo http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo. it uses python and requires a little troubleshooting knowledge as it is picky when first setting up, but once it is working, it works like a charm. however, if you have a mac the program is extremely easy (a self contained app that just runs). the one i mainly use is for windows. the server that is supposed to be installed as a service never worked right for me, so there is a console program that you can launch and run it on demand. the program transcodes many codecs so that they will play on your tivo.

not sure if this will work with your config, but if you have questions I will try to help. if you don't have a mac, perhaps you can borrow a friends to see if it will work before investing time into getting the windows version to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!