What's new

Dlink Dir-825 Request for Product Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
Tim,

What's going on at DLINK now there's a 825 series I believe this one replaces DIR-625.

DIR-825_main.jpg

This version DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router has:

Optimized for HD Video Streaming
Superior Performance over Competing Draft N Routers
Intelligent QoS Prioritization Technology
Simultaneous Dual Band Wireless (2.4GHz & 5Ghz)
Includes SharePort™ technology for Sharing USB Devices like Printers and Storage over Your Network
D-Link Green Verified Product

Those highlighted in bold and the second one take the USB port for sharing USB storage and print server. Wow! It's about time.

DIR-825_diagram.jpg

Main specs reads differently for the USB port
4 Gigabit LAN Ports
1 Gigabit WAN Port
1 USB Port (for Windows® Connect Now)

Any reviews on this product slated for September? I would like to know what's the hardware inside and price of this unit. Any confirmation about the USB would be great. This would make better choice for additional add-on N-WAP.

Last edited:
Tipstir said:
I would like to know what's the hardware inside and price of this unit. Any confirmation about the USB would be great. This would make better choice for additional add-on N-WAP.

As often as you ask, I'm surprised you haven't started to use the links Tim provides.

Trying my hand at https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm:

External features:
4 switch ports,
1 USB 2.0 port,
2 removable antennas (RP-SMA).

Router CPU: Ubicom IP5170U (350 MHz?)
Memory: PSC A2S28D40CTP (link goes to distributor's Flash site) 16 MB DDR1
Switch: Realtek RTL8366SR Gigabit Ethernet (supports VLANs and per-port QoS)
System board has "DGL-4500" stenciled on it. Heh.

Radios (Atheros XSPAN w/ two discrete cards):
AR9106: 2.4/5 GHz 3x3 MIMO Radio,
AR9103: 2.4 GHz 3x3 MIMO Radio. **single band, that's the gotcha of the 825**

On second thought, that was a bit of work. I'd ask someone else to do it too. ;)

As often as you ask, I'm surprised you haven't started to use the links Tim provides.

Trying my hand at https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm:

External features:
4 switch ports,
1 USB 2.0 port,
2 removable antennas (RP-SMA).

Router CPU: Ubicom IP5170U (350 MHz?)
Memory: PSC A2S28D40CTP (link goes to distributor's Flash site) 16 MB DDR1
Switch: Realtek RTL8366SR Gigabit Ethernet (supports VLANs and per-port QoS)
System board has "DGL-4500" stenciled on it. Heh.

Radios (Atheros XSPAN w/ two discrete cards):
AR9106: 2.4/5 GHz 3x3 MIMO Radio,
AR9103: 2.4 GHz 3x3 MIMO Radio. **single band, that's the gotcha of the 825**

On second thought, that was a bit of work. I'd ask someone else to do it too. ;)

Thanks for the links I have to get into the FCC stuff I always through you and Tim got the inside report using these devices, but I'll do the research myself.

Good digging your part to come up with the above though. Seems like a good router. Price would be the question now? I guess just have to wait for them to hit the market?

Thanks, J. I was going to ask tipstir to use the FCC ID database, too.

Looks like a cost-down of the DIR-855, using dual-antennas and newer Atheros chipsets.

The fact that one of the radios uses a 2.4GHz single-band chip isn't a problem. There are no 5GHz single band radio chipsets at this point, so using a dual-band chip is the only way to get 5GHz.

Maybe they will let you set both radios to 2.4GHz, but I seriously doubt it.

Google shopping is showing prices in the $160-$170 range.
I'll ask D-Link when it will be available.

Don't get too excited about the USB "Share Port" thingy. No mention of it in the FCC user manual or the website description.

Thanks, J. I was going to ask tipstir to use the FCC ID database, too.

Looks like a cost-down of the DIR-855, using dual-antennas and newer Atheros chipsets.

The fact that one of the radios uses a 2.4GHz single-band chip isn't a problem. There are no 5GHz single band radio chipsets at this point, so using a dual-band chip is the only way to get 5GHz.

Maybe they will let you set both radios to 2.4GHz, but I seriously doubt it.

Google shopping is showing prices in the $160-$170 range.
I'll ask D-Link when it will be available.

Don't get too excited about the USB "Share Port" thingy. No mention of it in the FCC user manual or the website description.

Thanks again JJ and Tim, price seems high though, I was hopping around $100 bucks. Well let's see how it goes...

Tim: I didn't realize band support was a radio either/or proposition; I thought they were just being stingy by not offering 6x6 capability. Your explanation (reasoning behind inclusion of two 2.4 GHz devices) makes sense.

Another underlying problem was a misconception about how MIMO worked, but I believe Wikipedia set me straight.

Tipstir: From what I can tell, the USB connectivity is to help simplify the wireless client configuration process. Here's an overview of the technology. It's hard to discard a blurb that's printed on the side of the box, but I'm think it's one of two scenarios:

1) Functionality was pulled to further distinguish the DIR-825 from future high-end models (hence inconsistent feature lists),
2) (more likely) SharePort is D-Link's name for SSDP/UPnP-like functionality. A simple desktop widget gets equal billing, so it may just be software.

Tim: I didn't realize band support was a radio either/or proposition; I thought they were just being stingy by not offering 6x6 capability. Your explanation (reasoning behind inclusion of two 2.4 GHz devices) makes sense.

Another underlying problem was a misconception about how MIMO worked, but I believe Wikipedia set me straight.

Tipstir: From what I can tell, the USB connectivity is to help simplify the wireless client configuration process. Here's an overview of the technology. It's hard to discard a blurb that's printed on the side of the box, but I'm think it's one of two scenarios:

1) Functionality was pulled to further distinguish the DIR-825 from future high-end models (hence inconsistent feature lists),
2) (more likely) SharePort is D-Link's name for SSDP/UPnP-like functionality. A simple desktop widget gets equal billing, so it may just be software.

JJ that link for the FCC I can't seem to locate this info? How do you search for DLINK? Product code or something else?

As for the USB would be great if that feature was more than WC. SharePoint that would have to be subscribe to service. Right now that won't be so important. So now 655 will be replaced in any case since it won't be need in the line up with 855 and 825 line-up.

Then I guess 815 is around the corner as well that would drop out the current 600 series. Everyone waiting for a better firmware release for the 655. 825 has faster CPU dual band price is higher, but wholesale warehouse should knock off $25 bucks off retail price.

FCC Exhibits:
D-Link files under the applicant name of "D Link Corporation." For the DIR-825 (KA2DIR825A1), there were several filings, one for each portion of spectrum. Here's the application for 2.4 GHz operation.

USB speculation:
I don't know where the "subscription" info originates. If you were referring to Sharepoint, that's an entirely unrelated product.

D-Link product strategy:
It's interesting to guess as to what the internals of the DIR-815 would look like, or even if there's a spot for it. The DIR-628 already supports both bands, so the DIR-815 would have to support simultaneous operation, otherwise why would people buy it? Simultaneous operation implies dual radios, which contradicts the primary distinction of the X15 line, low cost.

IMHO, what D-Link should have done was forget the 855 ever existed, keep the third antenna on the DIR-825, release the two-antenna DIR-628 as the DIR-815, and for a theoretical ultra high-end DIR-888 add NAS/print server support (it's more Ubicom's fault than D-Link for lack of feature innovation). If simultaneous dual-band operations becomes cheap enough, put all the parts on one board and call it the DIR-805.

Very good observation there JJ about marketing of 855, 825 or (815). But you do agree that 655, 625, 615 will be history in the up coming months. As the 855, 825 take a foot hold on that market. As there would be no need to have those older model implemented any longer.

Last edited:
Thanks for those FCC links images do tell more..

Thanks JJ.. Too much for that router now I'll wait for Costco to start to sell them at warehouse prices for members. I guess after a few hardware updates before they get out the bugs.

I just found 825 for $164.99 in Maine College Campus site store They have 855 for $290.99 Wow crazy prices!
http://cc.its.maine.edu/~maine/cart/look.php?item_id=5162349

Here we go again with unknown USB port: DIR-825 allows you to connect USB-based hard drives and printers to the router and share them with everyone on your network.

Last edited:
D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N QoS 4-Port Gigabit Switch Dual Band Router (White)

Amazon is selling these at $158 with free shipping (USPS)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F7HLRC/?tag=snbforums-20

Prices coming down... I just got BJ account for my birthday to add to the Sams Club and Costco cards I already have. Let's see if one of the 3 will carry this model. Anymore testing will be great to see the throughput against the DIR-655.

Neither one of the sites has the product in stock.

Here's the box for it
209113733_002.jpg

Everyone is saying sold out! They post the have it then later on say sold out!
Marketing this product this way saying they have it then not it's not the good way to do business. I'll keep poking around to see who or when it's available for purchase?

My guess as to why it is listed as out of stock instead of preorder/backorder is because the retailers haven't been provided with a release date yet. "We'll ship it when we get it" isn't nearly as bad as issuing a projected date of release, then failing to deliver once that date passes.

Remember that the last word I had from D-Link is that they were still testing.
And remember the track record of the DIR-855.

Don't hold your breath on this one...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!