What's new

DLNA - Does it work well on any routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
So I tried a few of the newer routers to replace my old dying router. I wanted one with DLNA USB support, so that I didn't have to leave a PC on to share some picture music video.

Belkin N750, has a 3000 file limit for media sharing
Netgear WNDR4000 DLNA seems broken. It keeps adding and removing files to the library.
Linksys E4200 (v1) - Seemed to work, but was very slow.

I've read user reviews on different sites. It seems like most of the routers have issues with DLNA. Are there any good DLNA routers?

Or should I just copy all my media to a PC....and leave it there and forget about that function in a router...

It seems like most of the routers have issues with DLNA. Are there any good DLNA routers?

Essentially, no.

Or should I just copy all my media to a PC....and leave it there and forget about that function in a router...

Yes, or get a newer model nas with sufficient cpu power to effectively support dlna.

Routers are specialized low-power devices. Yes manfacturers have been adding extra features such as usb/dlna/ftp support and whatever else, however you are still dealing with a device that is probably less powerful than your cell phone, and with the resulting performance.

Ok.. I'm just copying all this stuff to a drive on my HTPC, then and using WMP to stream. I leave that PC on 24/7 anyway.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!