What's new

Using Samba in home network only. Is it safe?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
I don't know much of what I'm doing. but I can follow directions.. LOL
I know it might not be recommended by some people but I'm giving it a try. can some one take a look at the pictures and see if it seems fine please.
Since I got my XT8 (2). I've been using the old Apple Airport as a NAS drive for my Time Machine backups. Looking like this is drive finally giving up the fight. I went and got a Samsung T7 2T USB drive. got it connected and working from the XT8's USB port. is partitioned in 2. one half for the time machine back up and the other to keep some files that I don't want on my laptop and to move files between household members. usually MS office files and the occasional media file. I did the Time Machine set up on the router to use the TM and also did the Samba setup to use the other half of the USB drive. I couldn't find the info online or in the routers manual about the Samba version been used. is this encrypted and will Samba compromise my network security? like having the risk of getting hacked. I don't access the network from outside. guest that connect to my wifi, use the guest wifi. currently I'm the only user added. is the 2nd on the list. the first one was automatically created and I created the 2nd one. they both have the same permissions.
I don't need or what a media server. so I didn't set that up. all my music and photos are online and have a USB back up that gets updated occasionally.

I also use iCloud and have another USB drive for another TM back up that I plug in directly to the laptop. when I don't forget. So, currently TM is backing up to the new USB drive, the occasional 2nd USB drive and the Apple Airport is still going at it.

TIA.

jScreen Shot 2022-10-09 at 11.38.01 AM.jpg

jScreen Shot 2022-10-09 at 11.38.29 AM.jpg

Well, that Samsung SSD External device is cool. But anything more than a thumb drive usually requires its own power supply. If the router acts flaky remove the T7.

Well, that Samsung SSD External device is cool. But anything more than a thumb drive usually requires its own power supply. If the router acts flaky remove the T7.
Yeah, I’ll be keeping an eye on it. But so far so good. The household is not big. But we do stream everything. TV, since we cancel cable tv a while ago, music and light video games. Plus security cameras and all the other usual iot devices. The first back up was just a 128 Gig Mac and that took like 5 hours. And the Apple Airport connected with Ethernet took about 4 hours on the 2nd backup. Nothing flickered or stuttered in the process. But I won’t know for sure for another month or so if the stability is good enough.
one thing I did noticed and don’t know if is normal. The USB drive will only show up if connected to the main XT8. It won’t when connected to the node, where I initially wanted it. Since is upstairs. Or maybe because that’s where the airport is connected.

AiMesh nodes have their own settings for USB drives. Should work the same as the router USB Samba.

AiMesh nodes have their own settings for USB drives. Should work the same as the router USB Samba.
Just tried it again. And it does show under AiMesh with the picture of the USB highlighted in green as in active. But it doesn’t show up on the Network Map page.
Did a quick Google search and found a post here. they say that is a limitation of the mesh setup. For it to show in both, it would have to be setup as access point. No big deal. The drive is tiny. So I don’t think my wife will notice it in the living room… LOL.

My bad. Found the USB settings for the node. I’m just going to leave it. Been working on this since last night. And the airport is already there. So I think I’ll leave it alone for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!