What's new

DNS Advice Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weaverinva

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, Do you use NextDNS, Cleanbrowsing, OpenDNS to block unwanted content on a family network? I was wondering what your experience has been especially with NextDNS versus Cleanbrowsing.

Thank you for any comments in advance.

I have an Asus AX86U for my router......many devices.....

NextDNS versus Cleanbrowsing

Both are paid services for custom categories blocking. Free use is limited to 300.000 queries per month (NextDNS) or preset DNS filtering (Cleanbrowsing). OpenDNS offers free OpenDNS Home account with custom categories included. Use it with Parental Controls Web & Apps Filters + AiProtection on top and you're safe enough. OpenDNS also has DNS-over-TLS encryption option. Asuswrt has DoT support built-in. You don't really need paid services.

Another choice is Cloudflare Family, 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3 or Cloudflare Security, 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2. Both can use DoT and DNSSEC.

This DoT/DoH is not really needed. There is no added security or privacy in DNS requests encryption unless the ISP is known to intercept and redirect DNS requests on port 53. In this case I would suggest looking for different better ISP. DoT/DoH may only slow down DNS resolution for no reason.