What's new

DNS Servers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grimm

Regular Contributor
My VPN company NordVpn says I should put their DNS server ip addresses in WAN, in the latest farmwear version of the RTAC86U (386.9 ) the WAN > Internet connection has a nice drop down list showing you all the DNS server providers, they say to use custom, and enter the ip[ addresses there. This is a newish layout to the merlin update

WAN DNS Setting > Assign Select from the list, or use the bottom one for custom.

Image4.png

Then here

Image5.png

This does Not work, I've been stuck on NordVpn DNS servers for years without knowing, no matter what I select in there, I was getting one NordVpn server in Germany. Nord Don't update their setup often, and in this case has got it with older page, which looks like the LAN setup

As soon as I switch to LAN, and manually assign the DNS servers I finally get the Cloud 9 DNS servers I wanted to try. Nord DNS is only 1, if it goes down you cannot connect, cloud 9 has a great polacy in Switzerland...

LAN > DHCP Server > DNS and WINS Server Setting
Image6.png

I guess its not going to hurt leaving the WAN with cloud 9, but making sure LAN is set to make it all work.

My thoughts are, NordVpn may well not keep any logs etc for the VPN, but do they for the DNS look up, which was in Germany, with no privacy, no log rules?

Thought Id post this to see what people are doing in the latest AC86U, Firmware 386.9

Cloud 9, DNS Servers for me, it thinks I'm in Landon because the VPN puts me there.

Image7.png

Attachments

• 1673640191135.png
    1673640191135.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 57
My VPN company NordVpn says I should put their DNS server ip addresses in WAN, in the latest farmwear version of the RTAC86U (386.9 ) the WAN > Internet connection has a nice drop down list showing you all the DNS server providers, they say to use custom, and enter the ip[ addresses there. This is a newish layout to the merlin update

WAN DNS Setting > Assign Select from the list, or use the bottom one for custom.

View attachment 47136

Then here

View attachment 47137

This does Not work, I've been stuck on NordVpn DNS servers for years without knowing, no matter what I select in there, I was getting one NordVpn server in Germany. Nord Don't update their setup often, and in this case has got it with older page, which looks like the LAN setup

As soon as I switch to LAN, and manually assign the DNS servers I finally get the Cloud 9 DNS servers I wanted to try. Nord DNS is only 1, if it goes down you cannot connect, cloud 9 has a great polacy in Switzerland...

LAN > DHCP Server > DNS and WINS Server Setting
View attachment 47138

I guess its not going to hurt leaving the WAN with cloud 9, but making sure LAN is set to make it all work.

My thoughts are, NordVpn may well not keep any logs etc for the VPN, but do they for the DNS look up, which was in Germany, with no privacy, no log rules?

Thought Id post this to see what people are doing in the latest AC86U, Firmware 386.9

Cloud 9, DNS Servers for me, it thinks I'm in Landon because the VPN puts me there.

View attachment 47140
Unless you have a very good reason do not put DNS servers in LAN/DHCP Server/DNS Server 1 or 2. The drop down in the WAN setup will work for Quad9 quite well.

NordVPN's DNS server addresses are 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100. They are anycast addresses and can be routed to any number of servers depending on how your ISP has them configured. You can manually add them as shown. It is an Asus "new" configuration and not Merlin.

However, Nord DNS does not do content filtering. You are better off using Quad9, CleanBrowsing or CloudFlare Security.

Attachments

• Nord DNS.jpg
    Nord DNS.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 55
Forgot to add, not all devices go through VPN, if that's the case you do need to use WAN settings for them, and LAN settings for VPN devices, I just remembers I have my laptop only on VPN connection, nothing else on that router goes through VPN, only me when I login, who knows what goes on in the background while logged in.

Update again, I do notice a better speed when first connecting, using Cloud 9, I sent a few emails back and forth to them, you do need to watch which cloud 9 servers you use, not all block ads for example, but the router can handle those I guess

Last edited:
Unless you have a very good reason do not put DNS servers in LAN/DHCP Server/DNS Server 1 or 2. The drop down in the WAN setup will work for Quad9 quite well.

NordVPN's DNS server addresses are 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100. They are anycast addresses and can be routed to any number of servers depending on how your ISP has them configured. You can manually add them as shown. It is an Asus "new" configuration and not Merlin.

However, Nord DNS does not do content filtering. You are better off using Quad9, CleanBrowsing or CloudFlare Security.

I don't use Nord DNS servers anymore