What's new

DNS timeout on wifi asus PCE-AX58BT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aldarund

New Around Here
After some time of use hours or days dns request suddenly stop to work and timeout. Changing DNS server does nothing as it timeout on any of them ( tried ISP DNS, google, opendns all the same ). At the same time all other internet connection seems to work. E.g. I can ping I can use telegram just DNS not working.
Turning off firewall does nothing. It started to happen yesterday when I switched from lan cable to ax-58bt PCI card. Plugging back LAN cable after this happened dont do anything too.
Only restart of pc work to fix it till it happens again. Not sure where to look at next any ideas ?

Win. Tried with buildin driver and driver from asus site, all same. And it wasnt happening purely on lan cable

When you said that you can ping and use telegram just fine, are you using their IP addresses or domain names for access?

"Ip addresses obviously"

You didn't state it in your post so I can't assume it to be the case.

Are you able to test with more than one host? If so, are the results the same? If you're only having difficulties with one host, try clearing that host's DNS cache. You might also want to take a peek at your system's Hosts file and make sure that didn't get overwritten with bad info. If you see any lines that are not commented out (ie: they don't start with a pound sign) AND if you haven't manually edited this file, you should scan immediately for viruses as this is a common attack.

Yes, i`m able to connect to any ip and any dns resolution fails. Hosts file fine, i edit it myself from time to time nothing that i didnt put there.
It seems to happen with high certainty after period of inactivity of pc, but not in 100% cases

Do you have any other hosts on your network that you can test with? If so, that can help isolate the issue.

I assume you're running a version of Windows - you didn't state that but since Windows has 90+ % of the desktop market share ...
Take a peek at your power settings, it could be that your NIC is powering down during periods of inactivity but not fully powering back up. Windows can be weird like that.

Its not a problem with router, its something with interaction of pcie card and win.When this happens i can still connect to same wifi via phone all good.

As mentioned in my last post, take a look at your PC's power plan and make sure your NIC doesn't get powered down after inactivity.

Didnt saw that message. Yes, i`m on windows. Wireless adapter in power plan is set to maximum performance. But that doesnt really explain that only dns not working for powering back. Also after this situation happens even pluggin in lan cable dont bring dns back. But purely on lan cable it dont happen. So hardly anything with powering back

Open your Event Veiwer and search both the Application and System nodes for "DNS" and let us know if there are any entries.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!