What's new

New RT-AX88u pro. 2.4 Ghz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netconnect

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I was renting a router from my ISP and decided to buy my own. I am connected to a 1gb fiber cable.
I found some threads on a similar problem but couldn’t find a solution except contacting Asus support for warranty.

So basically it works, I installed it and configured it to work with the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands separated. Didn’t touch the default settings in the beginning.
Devices connected via LAN work flawlessly. Mobile devices connected via the 5Ghz network work as well and I get really nice download speeds.
The problem is that either I can’t connect to the 2.4Ghz network, or that it connects but says there is not internet, or connects but responds really slowly and shows download speeds of ~5mbps. I tried this with multiple devices.

I tried changing some settings I saw in other threads: disabling wifi 6, changing bandwidth and switching control channels.
I installed merlin which didn’t help and did a factory reset which didn’t help as well.

All help will be appreciated,
Thank you!

What firmware version is currently installed on the router?
What specific WiFi devices are having trouble connecting?

Some basic troubleshooting steps to try even though you mentioned trying some of them already since it appears you've made a number of changes to the settings:
Use a simple/basic SSID name and password. No special characters like underscore or spaces.
Perform a hard factory reset and do a manual configuration. Do not import or upload a saved router.cfg file.
Because you are having trouble on the 2.4Ghz band, try setting the 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to 1, 6, or 11.
Reboot both the router and all of the 2.4Ghz WiFi devices.
Make sure the "Hide SSID" option is not enabled.
Set 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode on the 2.4Ghz band to disable and test. ([Wireless] How to fix laptop wireless card driver can't find router's wireless SSID (for 802.11ax routers)?

The firmware version is asuswrt-merlin 3004.388.6_2
I was having trouble connecting my phone as well as another phone via 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and also 2 PC's.
I did a factory reset and now I have both bands. I get 30-70mbps download speed on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi anywhere in my apartment depending on the device.
Thank you.

Yes, after flashing from stock to RMerlin (or vice-versa), the most stable network environment will be had only after a full reset to factory defaults.

That is the only way the firmware can 'see' and interact with its expected defaults, variables, and other minutiae of the differences between the two.

The firmware version is asuswrt-merlin 3004.388.6_2
I was having trouble connecting my phone as well as another phone via 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and also 2 PC's.
I did a factory reset and now I have both bands. I get 30-70mbps download speed on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi anywhere in my apartment depending on the device.
Thank you.
As you are having issues with the Merlin firmware, flash the Asus firmware, factory reset with initialize and do a minimum configuration. Just enter an SSID/passphrase and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default including Dual Band SmartConnect. Test that config to see if it works better.

What firmware version is currently installed on the router?
What specific WiFi devices are having trouble connecting?

Some basic troubleshooting steps to try even though you mentioned trying some of them already since it appears you've made a number of changes to the settings:
Use a simple/basic SSID name and password. No special characters like underscore or spaces.
Perform a hard factory reset and do a manual configuration. Do not import or upload a saved router.cfg file.
Because you are having trouble on the 2.4Ghz band, try setting the 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to 1, 6, or 11.
Reboot both the router and all of the 2.4Ghz WiFi devices.
Make sure the "Hide SSID" option is not enabled.
Set 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode on the 2.4Ghz band to disable and test. ([Wireless] How to fix laptop wireless card driver can't find router's wireless SSID (for 802.11ax routers)?

Since this thread is new and alive, maybe you can point me in the right direction also. My 5Ghz has been going in and out causing me to turn off/on to reconnect. It's a little more involved than that though. I've been running Asus routers for years with no issues. I currently have fiber to ONT to Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4. That runs into my house and hardwires directly into my Asus RT AX88U pro, which meshes with a RT AX88U and RT AX58U all running 3004.388.6_2 merlin. About a week ago I noticed that my hardwired connections on the 88U pro were dropping, wireless at that point was fine. Per my ISP, my fiber light levels were off and they sent a tech out to fix; since the light levels have been fixed I've see both wired and wireless drop at least twice a day, while my Edgerouter 4 is showing traffic moving up and down and Asus showing connected to the internet (most of the time). I have since factory reset my Edgerouter and all Asus routers to no avail. I don't have my SSID hidden and when I reboot my 88U pro, it takes about 1-2 minutes for 5Ghz to show up again, which was not the case before everything started acting up. Where it gets weird is I have a guest network set up for my work computer and that will still be connected most of the time but I'm not able to connect to it with my other devices when it is "down." I'm at the point where I was going to exchange my 88U pro for a new one since it's only about 6 months old and the odd behavior makes me think it is dying. If I missed anything, please ask and I'll be as detailed as possible in my responses. Thank you.

... when I reboot my 88U pro, it takes about 1-2 minutes for 5Ghz to show up again, which was not the case before everything started acting up.
Perhaps the time it takes to clear the DFS channels has changed because of a change in the landscape in that regard, which could cause issues in "normal operation" as well, if you're using those channels. Certainly merits investigation if you've been using any such channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!