What's new

DNSFilter bypassed if connected to repeater's wifi network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spiff72

Occasional Visitor
Just curious if anyone has any ideas how to fix this issue.

I have two routers running Merlin (RT-AC68U)- one is my main router, and the second is configured as a repeater, with different network SSID's ending in "RPT" so I can tell them apart. The repeater is installed in the basement to improve signal for computers down there.

I have Diversion installed on the main router, but shutting off Diversion doesn't change the behavior described below. I am aware of the fact that using DNSfilter bypasses Diversions ad-blocking on the computers figured to use it, but I am willing to make this concession.

I have the DNSFilter configured to redirect my kids computers to use the cleanbrowsing DNS and this all works fine when their computers are connected to the main router's wifi networks (2.4 or 5GHz). However, I just realized that the filters don't work when their computers connect to the repeater's wifi networks.

Is there a way to change this behavior?

DNSFilter client rules work based on MAC addresses, so there must be a different presentation of MAC through a repeater. I don’t have such a setup, so can’t confirm.

Just saw the linked post. Consider setting Cleanbrowsing as the WAN DNS servers and add exceptions for those devices you want to have free reign to the interweb.

DNSFilter client rules work based on MAC addresses, so there must be a different presentation of MAC through a repeater. I don’t have such a setup, so can’t confirm.

Just saw the linked post. Consider setting Cleanbrowsing as the WAN DNS servers and add exceptions for those devices you want to have free reign to the interweb.

Thanks - I hadn't considered that. I suppose this could be an option, but there are a LOT of devices on my network (a lot of which are IoT devices). I will have to try this and see if it causes any issues.

And maybe as an alternative, I could add the repeater's MAC to the list, and filter it, but this will force anything connected to it to use cleanbrowsing's DNS (which might be less painful to set up than the first method above).

Thanks - I hadn't considered that. I suppose this could be an option, but there are a LOT of devices on my network (a lot of which are IoT devices). I will have to try this and see if it causes any issues.

And maybe as an alternative, I could add the repeater's MAC to the list, and filter it, but this will force anything connected to it to use cleanbrowsing's DNS (which might be less painful to set up than the first method above).
Agreed, depends on your mix of clients. To get the most from Diversion you really want all clients using it by setting the DNSFilter global mode to Router and your WAN DNS to the DNS service needed by the majority of devices.

The exceptions can be managed as one-offs, if necessary.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!