What's new

Do AC clients benefit from an AX router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I have AC clients (4 simultaneously active at any given time) and 1 Ethernet device connected to an RT-AC68U. Wi-Fi coverage and performance are mostly acceptable in my 1,200 sq. ft home. Would an AX router give me any wireless benefit? Would Wi-Fi be any more responsive or consistent or anything?

Since the AC clients can still use only AC technology, I don't know if just having new router hardware would make much difference. If it does, I'll consider the RT-AX86U Pro.

Coming from RT-AC68U - yes. AX-class routers support AC Wave 2. Your router has 10+ years old BCM4360 radios, first Gen AC Wave 1. Coming from RT-AC86U though with BCM4366E radios AC Wave 2, for example - no. It may outperform some entry-level AX-class routers to AC clients.

RT-AX86U Pro will be night and day difference in speed and responsiveness plus about 20-30% better range on 5GHz band, plus it will deal better with interference from nearby networks, plus it will have much longer firmware support. RT-AC68U is approaching End-of-Life like other AC-class routers.

Last edited:
Generally yes - some efficiency on the radio chipsets, and also the main router SoC.

That being said - the AC clients won't be any faster on a single client basis.

That being said - the AC clients won't be any faster on a single client basis.

In the same room common 2-stream AC client will keep 866/866 link speeds and there will be no noticeable difference, but when you move behind 1-2 walls the older AC68U drops the links to 325Mbps and much newer AC86U and AX86U keep going with 520-650Mbps. The difference is quite noticeable at lower signal levels. I had all three AC68U, AC86U and AX86U at some point for direct comparison to the same AC clients. AC68U falls fast behind.

Well, it sure can't hurt going to a new router! I have mostly AC clients (and one G WIFI cam). Two AX laptops and one AX phone. Two of my AC clients are 160 MHz capable and get great WIFI transfers. However, I would wait for the AX86U Pro to go on sale again (Black Friday is not that far away).

Keep the AC68U for a backup just-in-case (I still have an AC66U_B1 stored).

Here is what the AC class 'king' of routers fared against a quality, but entry-level (good for ~600Mbps speeds or less) AX class router. And to make this clear; it was 2x RT-AC86Us vs. a single RT-AX68U.

And, more...

Is Wi-Fi 6 Worth It

Wi-Fi 6 Pt 2