What's new

Does a cron job survive a reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
Does a cron job survive a reboot?

I had a cru a cron job created in services-start. I wanted to change the time it was run, so I edited the services-start file and rebooted the router. But, the old times were still there. I had to go into terminal run a cru d to the delete the cron job, then reboot the router. This time the cronjob was there with the new run time.

This didn't make sense to me. Any ideas why rebooting the router the first time didn't change the runtime?

Running Merlin 386.5

Are you 100% certain the router actually rebooted? Are there any syntax errors in your script?

It shouldn't. That's why you have to initialize it after every boot w/ the services-start script. Even if it was persistent, the addition of an existing rule would just replace it. Something else happened that's hard to determine. As @dave14305 said, maybe it never really rebooted the first time. It's my guess you can't repeat it.

I clicked the Reboot button in Merlin. All my connections disappeared for minute, then came back on. I was actually testing something, so set the time for a few minutes in future, and rebooted. I was surprised when it had the old time still.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!