What's new

Does a modem need to enable IPv6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

devinrhode2

Occasional Visitor
I own an Arris s33 modem.

I can't find much information on how to see if it supports IPv6..

There doesn't seem to be any options to configure or enable it on the local config page, http://192.168.100.1/

Do modem's actually have anything to do with IPv6? Should I just enable IPv6 inside my router?

I recall comcast's XB7 gateway had some settings for IPv6, but it's a combo modem+router..

Searching google for "does a modem need to enable ipv6" - the first sentence in a few results suggests that modems MAY have SOMETHING to with IPv6:

CleanShot 2023-02-09 at 15.43.47.png
CleanShot 2023-02-09 at 15.43.56.png

A modem is a bridge. You have to enable IPv6 on your router. Not sure why you're continuously looking for trouble. Dual WAN, Link Aggregation, WAN Aggregation, IPv6... what else you don't need you want to try on your Gaming RGB box? Firmware beta tester not enough for you?

I own an Arris s33 modem.

I can't find much information on how to see if it supports IPv6..

There doesn't seem to be any options to configure or enable it on the local config page, http://192.168.100.1/

Do modem's actually have anything to do with IPv6? Should I just enable IPv6 inside my router?

I recall comcast's XB7 gateway had some settings for IPv6, but it's a combo modem+router..
@devinrhode2, would you mind sharing your ping times to 192.168.100.1 from a wired connection?

Last edited:

The All-in-One residential gateways (that have router functionality) - since IPv6 is routed there, makes sense they would have the option to enable (or disable) IPv6.

For standalone modems - that's handled by the router that the customer has provided...

I don't really have a hard-wire setup, not impossible, but why are you asking?

I'm not sure what the command line would be for mac or windows.
If you open a Terminal windows on a Mac or a Command prompt window on Windows and type: "ping 192.168.100.1" for the results. I'm just curious if the ping times are 1ms or less or more like 5ms from a LAN hard line.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!