What's new

pixelserv Does "How to best run Pixelserv tls on asuswrt" still apply?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blacksheep

Occasional Visitor
I'm running the latest Diversion v4 Standard and pixelserv. It's blocking ads on my RT-AX86U.

I noticed a link at the bottom of this pixelserv page - note last updated several years ago):
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/pixelserv-a-better-one-pixel-webserver-for-adblock.26114/

In that page, there was a link to "How to best run Pixelserv tls on Asus wrt Merlin" so I clicked it.
https://github.com/kvic-z/pixelserv-tls/wiki/How-to-best-run-pixelserv-tls-on-Asuswrt-Merlin

They suggest creating a virtual interface via the router's cli by adding a wan-start file in /jffs/scripts/
Code:
ifconfig br0:pixelserv 192.168.1.3 up
logger -t $(basename $0) "br0:pixelserv 192.168.1.3 created."
I've been reading this forum for answers and noticed wan-start is deprecated and replaced by wan-event.

They also mention pixelserv needs to be set to listen to its own ip address in /opt/etc/init.d/580pixelserv-tls.
The site also recommends adding PRECMD="ulimit -s 64"in /opt/etc/init.d/580pixelserv-tls to increase performance and run on tighter memory resources.

My questions are:
Do I need to bother with setting up Pixelserv TLS? I'm just using this on my router to block ads; nothing too fancy.

Do I still need to create a virtual interface for pixelserv?
(If so, do I simply create a wan-event file in /jffs/scripts/ whereas it would have been named wan-start in the past? There is currently no wan-* in my scrips folder)

Do I need to direct pixelserv to its own IP address or is this done in the install script now?
(I think I see $psIP variable that may handle this in /opt/etc/init.d/580pixelserv-tls)

Do I need to add "ulimit -s 64" to the PRECMD in /opt/etc/init.d/580pixelserv-tls?

Last edited:
All those old good times. I did see a sign of life from @kvic in July in another place.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!