What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cat /proc/mtd

It won't show exactly 64M, I think due to some overhead in setting up a separate boot partition during firmware upgrade, but it's close (this is on my fork, the latest merlin will be slightly different)
Code:
admin@AC68P-00000:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00080000 00020000 "boot"
mtd1: 00180000 00020000 "nvram"
mtd2: 03e00000 00020000 "linux"
mtd3: 03c57a1c 00020000 "rootfs"     (= 63,275,500)
mtd4: 04000000 00020000 "brcmnand"
mtd5: 02000000 00020000 "jffs2"

so for me , rootfs is 03c57ae8 ..not sure how to convert that into MB ?
Edit
I am on your latest build

Edit 2
too much food on Thanksgiving killed my thinking power. Those sizes are in hexadecimal...03c57ae8 = 63273704 which is around 64mb ..so we have a way of finding out if rootfs was expanded or not..nice ..

Last edited:
I am having a hell of a time getting custom firmware on this. I can't even get off the ground.

My router has the latest tmobile firmware and I went into admin gui and edited HTML with F12 and got telnet to appear. I then clicked Yes and applied.

I have since verified that Yes remains checked after reboots.

I am able to ping router but telnet results in the following error:
Connecting To 192.168.29.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed

I did enable telnet client on pc as well

I am able to ping router but telnet results in the following error:
Connecting To 192.168.29.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed

I did enable telnet client on pc as well

Are you using putty to telnet? and what version of windows? is firewall off?

I disabled win 7 pro firewall and all other antivirus. I used putty and puttytel to no avail.
I only used telnet to flash the Asus firmware, I would suggest trying to downgrade using the Asus Mini CFE thing to a version of T-Mo firmware in which telnet option is not hidden. it worked for me.

since I have the latest firmware, my router won't go into recovery mode by holding down reset then turning on router. I can't get it into recovery mode to downgrade

since I have the latest firmware, my router won't go into recovery mode by holding down reset then turning on router. I can't get it into recovery mode to downgrade

strange, power off router as in remove the power cable. Keep reset button pressed, plug the power cable back in ensuring reset button is still pressed). Keep it pressed until you see the lan cable light static (assuming lan cable is attached to both router and computer) and the power cable will start blinking slowly ..now when you access router from browser the Asus Mini CFE page should come up..select your downgrade firmware file and press upload. Keep reset button pressed for 5-10 seconds then leave it..after 3-4 minutes a message will come up saying file transfer done, router will reboot. Once rebooted let it sit for 5 minutes, then do a nvram reset.

Thanks much now telnet works but after restoring defaults I can't login to router with admin admin

Is there another login for this firmware?

It will do it for you

Hi, first post here. So, I successfully flashed Merlin to my tmo router. I went ahead and upgraded to 376.3626 as suggested on Slickdeals for 64m roofts -- thinking I'd go latest/greatest Merlin. I wish I saw this forum prior as I'm inclined to set-it and forget it (maybe annual updates so, John's 374 fork appeals to me). Am I hosed if I need to downgrade to 374? I've been pouring over that sticky and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks in advance.

Oooh, second question: Found Merlin's wiki but can't find one for John's fork. I'm looking to flash a second Tmo router to use as an AP on the same network as my router. I assume this is available to me, as I see it in Merlin's admin. TIA, again. Cheers.

Last edited:
Johns Fork IS Merlin firmware, so it still applies.

And you can still downgrade, you just need to use the recovery webserver. Same as you used to downgrade the T-Mobile firmware.

In appreciation for the numerous times this forum has helped me, I've compiled instructions from previously cited links that I used to flash my recently purchased T-Mobile AC1900 router to AC-68U Asus-Merlin firmware (380.63_2). The instructions are meant to be relevant primarily to AC1900 routers loaded with recent T-Mobile firmware (3.0.0.4.376_3169_g21), to resolve inconsistencies between posts, to facilitate step-by-step procedure, and to have been proven to work at all steps. No warranty provided yadda-yadda-yadda. So far, configuration of my re-flashed AC-68U is proceeding without incident.

Major constituent posts include the primary Slickdeals Wiki Community Board post and YouTube video, as well as Engineer's CFE Flashing Guide. Much love!

Once more, the link to the compiled instructions: http://bit.ly/2gQzTJu

Compiled instructions also attached to this post.

Attachments

• flashInstructions_cDec04_16.pdf
    523.6 KB · Views: 22,733
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!