What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point! I still have the original CFE. Never thought about uploading that one. so this is my understanding
1) upload the original CFE through mini CFE interface
2) if that worked, flash the TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba firmware.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see if it could fix the lock

I think I would flash the firmware before you try to reboot after you get it to take the CFE file.
It may not boot with the current firmware in it.

I think I would flash the firmware before you try to reboot after you get it to take the CFE file.
It may not boot with the current firmware in it.

Just realized a possible mistaken in my steps. CFE should not be uploaded through mini CFE interface. The original CFE need to be uploaded through SSH, right? My current firmware does not support SSH.... I feel like I'm in a dead end.

Just realized a possible mistaken in my steps. CFE should not be uploaded through mini CFE interface. The original CFE need to be uploaded through SSH, right? My current firmware does not support SSH.... I feel like I'm in a dead end.
I don't remember the steps. I did mine a long time ago.

Good point! I still have the original CFE. Never thought about uploading that one. so this is my understanding
1) upload the original CFE through mini CFE interface
2) if that worked, flash the TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba firmware.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see if it could fix the lock

How ASUS was determining the difference between a TM-AC1900 and a RT-AC68 has been determined, and a fix posted. I think that if you implement the fix, you can install the latest Merlin firmware.

Once you get back to normal RT-AC68 firmware, follow XVortex's instructions here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-on-the-t-mobile-tm-ac1900.43278/page-47#post-395748

I'd expect that you can then upgrade to the latest versions, without having ASUS recognizing it as an TM-AC1900 and switching you back.

How ASUS was determining the difference between a TM-AC1900 and a RT-AC68 has been determined, and a fix posted. I think that if you implement the fix, you can install the latest Merlin firmware.

Once you get back to normal RT-AC68 firmware, follow XVortex's instructions here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-on-the-t-mobile-tm-ac1900.43278/page-47#post-395748

I'd expect that you can then upgrade to the latest versions, without having ASUS recognizing it as an TM-AC1900 and switching you back.

I've been looking around in the forum but have yet found the fix...I'm not sure where it is posted. Could you please kindly point the direction?

Last edited:
FWIW, I recently (a few weeks back) converted two TM-AC1900's to AC68U's using primarily the Bay Area Tech Pros instructions. They are both now running Merlin 384.X (one is at .3 and the other is at .4_2).

The two routers were different from each other in what CFE they had installed when I got them and so there were some variations in the procedures that were necessary both in how to get them into the mini-CFE mode and in flashing the older ASUS firmware that let me turn on SSH access. I'm sorry I didn't take detailed notes, so can't give you specifics. One of them was much easier than the other to get the mini-CFE mode active. But, if you keep noodling with it, I'm pretty sure that it's still possible to do the full conversion and get Merlin's FW installed on them.

FWIW, I recently (a few weeks back) converted two TM-AC1900's to AC68U's using primarily the Bay Area Tech Pros instructions. They are both now running Merlin 384.X (one is at .3 and the other is at .4_2).

The two routers were different from each other in what CFE they had installed when I got them and so there were some variations in the procedures that were necessary both in how to get them into the mini-CFE mode and in flashing the older ASUS firmware that let me turn on SSH access. I'm sorry I didn't take detailed notes, so can't give you specifics. One of them was much easier than the other to get the mini-CFE mode active. But, if you keep noodling with it, I'm pretty sure that it's still possible to do the full conversion and get Merlin's FW installed on them.

Thanks for the info. Bay Area Tech was exactly the instruction I used. I successfully followed through the steps and flashed my router to AC68P. But after the router was forcefully reverted to 3199 from an failed attempt of flashing Merlin .42, the Bay Tech methods don't work any longer. I can still get in both webgui and mini-CFE, but could not flash any firmware on it, neither downgrading or upgrading....I'm still searching for a resolution.

Okay.. I have to admit Asus has all the reason and maybe the rights too to do so....

so basically I can't downgrade it to 1703 anymore. And flash it to AC68U just became a mission impossible. I'll look for John's fork and see how far that could get me to.

that's the thing - you won't be able to even flash John's fw until you can get reverted to the asus-approved fw mentioned in post #260 which allows you to ssh in to the router

Thanks for the info. Bay Area Tech was exactly the instruction I used. I successfully followed through the steps and flashed my router to AC68P. But after the router was forcefully reverted to 3199 from an failed attempt of flashing Merlin .42, the Bay Tech methods don't work any longer. I can still get in both webgui and mini-CFE, but could not flash any firmware on it, neither downgrading or upgrading....I'm still searching for a resolution.

which CFE did you put on the router with mtd-write?

I used 1.0.2.0 US (from the CFEditor site) on both of my routers.

which CFE did you put on the router with mtd-write?

I used 1.0.2.0 US (from the CFEditor site) on both of my routers.

i'm getting the impression I should've tried from a windows desktop rather than my ubuntu linux machine - terminal won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!