What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I received my TM AC1900 yesterday and battled 3 hours trying to downgrade the firmware. I resolved the problem from a "hint" on one of the above replies.
I was using the recovery mini online method to load TM .1703 firmware.
I could choose a file but download never would work and stopped in different ways.
The solution for me that worked was I STOPPED USING CHROME and turned off the anti-virus program.
Pushing the reset button after the first 8 seconds didn't work either and was not needed using Firefox .
I used my 64 bit win7 HP laptop.

Everything turned out well and thanks again.

Joe

I was successfully able to downgrade to firmware to .1703 and enable, but I need some help with flashing the new CFE on the router. I'm following the Slick Deals guide here. I've downloaded MTD V2 and modified the 1.0.2.0 CFE. I can access the router via telnet. The issue is that mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot does not appear to be doing anything. The expectation would be a second or two delay after running the command for the router to flash to new CFE. I run the command and it just moves on, it's as fast as typing in ls. I've performed the NVRAM resets and checked the BL version (nvram get bl_version) but I remain on the 2.1.2.6 CFE. Can someone please help me sort out why the router isn't flashing the new CFE?

Trav1sty
Engineers's instructions are very wordy and tended to put me asleep but as I remember what I was doing wrong when I had you problem was in this step when resetting it.
  • Power router off
  • Wait 10 seconds
  • Press and hold the WPS button
  • Power the router back on while continuing to hold the WPS button for 15-20 seconds

Trav1sty
Engineers's instructions are very wordy and tended to put me asleep but as I remember what I was doing wrong when I had you problem was in this step when resetting it.
  • Power router off
  • Wait 10 seconds
  • Press and hold the WPS button
  • Power the router back on while continuing to hold the WPS button for 15-20 seconds

I just tried that. NVRAM reset with the hardware buttons, reflashed the CFE, then reset the NVRAM again with hardware buttons. It's not making a difference. All I'm doing is resetting the firmware. The same issue with the CFE flash via telnet is present. I've tried MTD write V2 and V3, plus CFEs 1.0.2.0, and 1.0.2.1. I don't know why it doesn't want to flash the file.
And yes, I'm aware that MTD write v2 have slightly different flash syntax. I followed the correct instructions for each version but that didn't matter. I'm still on the original 2.1.2.6 T-mo firmware.

The issue is that mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot does not appear to be doing anything.

Assuming that you have copied the mtd-write executable to the router, and have it present and marked as executable in your current working directory on the router, then the correct command is:
./mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot

Notice the ./ prefix there!!

Assuming that you have copied the mtd-write executable to the router, and have it present and marked as executable in your current working directory on the router, then the correct command is:
./mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot

Notice the ./ prefix there!!
I've tried both mtd-write and ./mtd-write.

You are replacing "new_cfe" with the name of your actual modified CFE, correct?

For example, "rtac68u.bin"

./mtd-write -i rtac68u.bin -d boot

This is from my old notes:

MISC:
#Flashing CFE from within XVortex/AsusMerlin:
chmod +x ./mtd-write
./mtd-write -i new-cfe.bin -d boot

You are replacing "new_cfe" with the name of your actual modified CFE, correct?

For example, "rtac68u.bin"

./mtd-write -i rtac68u.bin -d boot

This is from my old notes:

MISC:
#Flashing CFE from within XVortex/AsusMerlin:
chmod +x ./mtd-write
./mtd-write -i new-cfe.bin -d boot

Thanks cybrnook. I was issuing the correct command. Your comment did have me look at the permissions on my files and I noticed the problem. My mtd-write was 0 bytes. I re-downloaded v2 and extracted it on a different computer. Everything worked correctly once I used this new mtd-write.

Thank you everyone for helping me talk through this and getting my router on Merlin.

Spent last two hours converting from T-Mobile ac1900 to AC68. A lot of steps to go through, but got it done with out any major issues. Running latest Merlin Fork 26E3 firmware.

Instructions are very detailed, I think some info should be omitted, simplified and clarified. But they are dummy proof instructions for people that have never flashed firmware.

Side notes;
1. mtd-write version 2 and mtd-write version 3 didn't work for me at all.

2. Had to redownload mtd-write version 1 several times to get it working.

3. Once you install Asus firmware 376.3626, you can install ANY firmware using "Mini-CFE Webserver". I think this should have been mentioned more clearly, so you not flashing 4 firmwares just so you can install Merlin Fork for example.

4. You can rename your USB stick to make it easier when typing commands in Telnet. I plugged it into my PC and renamed it to USB_NAME, that allowed me to copy and paste all commands.

5. After inserting USB stick into the router, it automatically mounts it self, I didn't realize it and tried to find a way to mount it, instructions were unclear on that part.

Thanks goes out to all the people that made this conversion possible.

I ran the TM-1900 to RT-AC68U modification this weekend and specifically created an account on SNB so I could come thank RMerlin, Engineer, and the others who contribute so much time to this and similar topics. I used information from all of you and it went very smoothly, so thank you.

I do have one question. I was very uneasy using the links here on SNB to download CFE and the other tools linked in the tutorials. I haven't seen anyone question the source of these files, and I personally have no way to validate that they are safe (not infected). Other than relying on 3 years of conversation in this and other threads, how do you check to make sure a version of CFE you download is safe?

Thanks in advance for an answer, and I hope some interesting conversation.

I do have one question. I was very uneasy using the links here on SNB to download CFE and the other tools linked in the tutorials. I haven't seen anyone question the source of these files, and I personally have no way to validate that they are safe (not infected). Other than relying on 3 years of conversation in this and other threads, how do you check to make sure a version of CFE you download is safe?

Thanks in advance for an answer, and I hope some interesting conversation.

The same way you verify any file you download from the internet, with an antivirus program.

The same way you verify any file you download from the internet, with an antivirus program.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Maybe I should have mentioned that I scanned these files, but my question is more about the nature of a tool like CFE. How do you verify there haven't been scripts added to startup, etc., that might mask a root kit, undetectable to a virus scan. It wouldn't be a virus, just a linux startup script to set certain parameters. Not having access to download the file directly from Asus, how do you validate where it came from and that it hasn't been modified?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Maybe I should have mentioned that I scanned these files, but my question is more about the nature of a tool like CFE. How do you verify there haven't been scripts added to startup, etc., that might mask a root kit, undetectable to a virus scan. It wouldn't be a virus, just a linux startup script to set certain parameters. Not having access to download the file directly from Asus, how do you validate where it came from and that it hasn't been modified?
Verifying the checksum, if they're published

Sorry to bump up this old post. I'm desperately in need for help with the newly purchased (refurbished) TM AC1900.

I was able to follow Alex's Instruction (from Bay Area Tech Pros) and flashed the router to AC68P. Everything worked until…....I tried to flash the latest Merlin while a external hard drive was plugged in. The flash wasn’t successful because of the external USB device. I unplugged and restarted the router trying to get it rolling again, only to find out the router was reverted back to TM firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3199. It was never flashed to Merlin and somehow the AC68P was flashed to 3199.

Fine, I thought no big deal just re-do the whole thing. So I started the process again... I could get in mini CFE no problem (following the instruction provide here), but I keep getting “Receive file size=16949294. This is not a valid firmware image”…. I’ve tried switching all 4 LAN ports. but no luck so far….

I can still get in the router interface and use it as Tmobile...which feels lame….I've tried every possible fix I could find online. Did I broke the router?

Any thoughts?

Sorry to bump up this old post. I'm desperately in need for help with the newly purchased (refurbished) TM AC1900.

I was able to follow Alex's Instruction (from Bay Area Tech Pros) and flashed the router to AC68P. Everything worked until…....I tried to flash the latest Merlin while a external hard drive was plugged in. The flash wasn’t successful because of the external USB device. I unplugged and restarted the router trying to get it rolling again, only to find out the router was reverted back to TM firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3199. It was never flashed to Merlin and somehow the AC68P was flashed to 3199.

Fine, I thought no big deal just re-do the whole thing. So I started the process again... I could get in mini CFE no problem (following the instruction provide here), but I keep getting “Receive file size=16949294. This is not a valid firmware image”…. I’ve tried switching all 4 LAN ports. but no luck so far….

I can still get in the router interface and use it as Tmobile...which feels lame….I've tried every possible fix I could find online. Did I broke the router?

Any thoughts?
Asus has made changes to CFE in the new firmware. I think basically speaking your router has been unsupported. You may have to use johns fork. The CFE is encrypted so no mods can be made. Asus is clamping down on non-supported routers. By the way @RMerlin never supported this model ever.

Asus has made changes to CFE in the new firmware. I think basically speaking your router has been unsupported. You may have to use johns fork. The CFE is encrypted so no mods can be made. Asus is clamping down on non-supported routers. By the way @RMerlin never supported this model ever.

Further, having similarly spent 4 hours yesterday trying to perform this miracle, I think Asus may be trying to get users who are looking for the functionality of their products to actually buy some rather than hacking the stuff they re-purposed for customers. I tried everything I found online, and even considered putting the tinfoil hat on and holding my left arm up in the air while standing with my right leg off the ground during the reset/recovery powercycle.

Okay.. I have to admit Asus has all the reason and maybe the rights too to do so....

so basically I can't downgrade it to 1703 anymore. And flash it to AC68U just became a mission impossible. I'll look for John's fork and see how far that could get me to.

Well although it's not supported or recommended by it's creator, 384.4_2 works very well in the TM-AC1900. It did take me awhile to get it to take the mod and I remember I had to edit the CFE file with the settings from my router. I still have the original CFE file for mine and that would be where I think I wound begin. You need to get it to take the original CFE file and firmware back. I think that would be your only way.
I still have the tmo firmware and setup files from doing that mod. The firmware is TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba

Well although it's not supported or recommended by it's creator, 384.4_2 works very well in the TM-AC1900. It did take me awhile to get it to take the mod and I remember I had to edit the CFE file with the settings from my router. I still have the original CFE file for mine and that would be where I think I wound begin. You need to get it to take the original CFE file and firmware back. I think that would be your only way.
I still have the tmo firmware and setup files from doing that mod. The firmware is TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba

Good point! I still have the original CFE. Never thought about uploading that one. so this is my understanding
1) upload the original CFE through mini CFE interface
2) if that worked, flash the TM-AC1900_3.0.0.4_376_1703-g0ffdbba firmware.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and see if it could fix the lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!