What's new

News Don't use VPN providers - use your own...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's true, but some people just don't know and continue paying for "security" and "privacy". This is the main idea.
Omg and wow, just wow after reading this and other articles.
It's true, but some people just don't know and continue paying for "security" and "privacy". This is the main idea.
wow and omg after reading these and other articles. I am really surprised and why wouldn't I be as so many others like me have signed up for vpn. I wanted Proton to succeed as I saw them as the underdog but it seems they are no different in the the end and the giant that Nord is, well again no different from any other service at the end of the day. Not sure but I think I saw something that I could do to https settings on my routers but other than that and public wifi, I guess I don't need to pay for lots of stuff anymore. Thanks for the information.

I have described my use of public VPN provider in post #13 above. It's unrelated to home network "security" and "privacy" though. Some people just read and copy what someone else does or says. You can also see around SNB Forums lengthily conversations about hiding DNS queries from your ISP for "privacy". Many just miss the fact the ISP sees the IP addresses and they know where the user is going anyway. The same way some hurt themselves picking distant and slow DNS servers with some encryption and no logging promises. As usual - you have to know what are you doing and why.

the Commercial VPN providers are basically proxy servers, simply put.

When one things about it - when considering privacy, they aggregate a lot of traffic in a few places - doesn't really matter if they keep logs or not - folks that are interested in tracking, they just need to have a bit of spatial awareness, and the patterns will become clear.

With HTTPS being the norm these days, including DoH/DoT, even at the coffee shop, it's really hard to get a grasp on what others are doing...

Real VPN's are something where one controls both ends - there's still a lot of utility in that...

It's VPN for Virtual Public Network. Like Asus SDN for Self-Defined Network. Confused? :D

Can't speak for Asus SDN - but you make a good point for VPN providers as Virtual Public Networks, which was the intent for this thread in the first place...

It's VPN for Virtual Public Network. Like Asus SDN for Self-Defined Network. Confused? :D
Oh, I thought it meant Sucky Da*n Network :)

@Smokey613, we are witnessing the evolution of a Repeater. It become a Node or a Satellite for some time and it's turning into part of SDN. This is when the Repeater gets self-consciousness. It's not intelligent yet, but can recognize itself in a mirror. Ask me now why some new routers have mirrors on top.

I see no reason to use VPN unless you control both ends. I have been saying this for many years.
So, how do u accomplish your approach, with VPN server setup on an Asus /merlin/FW, or other router supporting VPN server option?

OVPN and WG are both available within the RMerlin gui under VPN:
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 07-53-22 ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - Network Map.png

Griswald Easy to setup, and all questions answered using Better Search at top.