What's new

Double NAT Woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wfarid

Occasional Visitor
I am having trouble connecting my Shield 2017 with KODI installed to my NAS (QNAP TS-209 PRO).

The problem is a classic one - two routers one home setup! My ISP router (Fiber connection that goes straight into a router type device with 4 ethernet ports) can't go into bridge mode without messing up everything. I have a hard wired connection throughout my apartment that links to my ISP router LAN ports. The shield is connected on this network.

My router (Netgear Nighthawk) has DHCP enabled - it handles all of my devices and my NAS is connected to it. Now any of my devices connected to my router can access the NAS, however the Shield cannot. I do not want to turn off DHCP or go into bridge/ap mode as this is an expensive router and can work better than my ISPs.

I can forward ports, trigger ports, setup DMZ on my ISP router. The DHCP range of the ISP router is totally different from Nighthawk. I could not manage to split the DHCP range on my ISP router.

My nighthawk can do the same and much more.

Is there anything I can do (besides moving my NAS to my ISP router)? I can access my ISP router while being connected to the Nighthawk. However while I'm connected to my ISP LAN, I cannot access my Nighthawk.

How can I get the Shield being able to access my NAS?

Well I have an old DLINK router sitting around, I could use that instead of a switch! Maybe this is too complicated -- I'll report back if it works.

But basically on my DLINK I'd place it in the same DHCP range as my Nighthawk but only handle from 100 - 254 . Then on my nighthawk I would have it handle 2 - 99. This way the Sheild and NAS would be on the same range and be visible to each other.

Adding the DLINK did not solve my issues. Ultimately I had to move the Nighthawk next to the ISP Router and then have everything connected to my Nighthawk...

I was able to install some custom firmware on a crappy N router my ISP gave me and use that as an Access Point on the other end of my apartment...