What's new

DSL-AC55u Airprint problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

omehar

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm having trouble with my Asus dsl-ac55u modem/router as airprint doesn't work! When trying to print from my iphone to my HP6500a, I get the message 'no airprinters found'. Printing from any windows laptop is fine.

Reading from other forums the problem lays with the multicast / snooping function. When changing any settings here, airprint seems to work but only for a few minutes. Same when I reboot the router: 10-20 minutes ok, then it drops out. Also tried to assign the printer to a fixed ip but this doesn't help.

Suggestions anybody? Trying to find a solution for weeks now and it's driving me mad!

did you try following settings?
-Airtime Fairness: Disable

if it does not help try these as well:
-Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
-Multi-User MIMO: Disable
-Explicit Beamforming: Disable
-Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable
-use fixed channels 2.4 (1-6-11) and 5G (36 else 100 or 149)

Last edited:
Hi Grisu,

See screenshot, these are my options. None of the ones you suggest are there (apart from setting fixed channels on 2.4 and 5g).

I need to be looking for some sort of workaround I guess....

upload_2018-8-13_12-24-18.png

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Asus dsl-ac55u modem/router as airprint doesn't work! When trying to print from my iphone to my HP6500a, I get the message 'no airprinters found'. Printing from any windows laptop is fine.

Reading from other forums the problem lays with the multicast / snooping function. When changing any settings here, airprint seems to work but only for a few minutes. Same when I reboot the router: 10-20 minutes ok, then it drops out. Also tried to assign the printer to a fixed ip but this doesn't help.

Suggestions anybody? Trying to find a solution for weeks now and it's driving me mad!

Make sure your printer is not on a guest ssid. (Provided it’s on wifi of course, I’m just guessing here).

It's not, printer is connected to the main SSID.

Hmmm.....
I’m out of ideas.
I AirPrint to a wifi printer via various ‘idevices’, no problem.
I have never had to mess with multicast/snooping.

The printer doesn’t have some sort of ‘snooze’ function, where it goes to sleep after a few minutes inactivity by any chance?

The printer doesn’t have some sort of ‘snooze’ function, where it goes to sleep after a few minutes inactivity by any chance?

Nope, the printer doesn't sleep. Before I had another router and all worked fine, no issues with Airprint. I changed to Asus because I wanted more functionality (VPN clients) and the ac55u had some good reviews. Unfortunately Airprint never worked since, printer hasn't changed...

did you ever wrote them using router feedback to solve it?

and use my help suggested in PM.

I'm going to write Asus now. Will post to another forum as well like you suggested. Thanks!
What happen when you disconnect the wireless from the iPhone, take a few seconds then reconnect? Airprint works now? I've seen this with my son's iPhone but haven't heard him complain for awhile, maybe, he got used to the workaround.:D

T
What happen when you disconnect the wireless from the iPhone, take a few seconds then reconnect? Airprint works now? I've seen this with my son's iPhone but haven't heard him complain for awhile, maybe, he got used to the workaround.:D
That's a good suggestion, however it's the router not finding the printer, not necessarily the iphone. I will give it a try when back from my business trip.

T

That's a good suggestion, however it's the router not finding the printer, not necessarily the iphone. I will give it a try when back from my business trip.
If that's the case, then airprint is not the problem. You have to have the printer's wireless and the iPhone establish connections to the same router's SSID before airprint even works. Your first posts indicated airprint works initially, it means the printer's wireless is connected to the router. Now you 're saying the router cannot see the printer? Your problem is the other way around, the printer cannot see the router. Is that what's happening?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02623193

Last edited:
With Airprint - be on the same subnet and SSID...

Tip - on HP Printers that support AirPrint - go into the HP WebUI, and set it to a static IP (outside of the DHCP scope of the router), this helps...

It's a quirk in their FW (HP's, not Apple or Asus).

If that's the case, then airprint is not the problem. You have to have the printer's wireless and the iPhone establish connections to the same router's SSID before airprint even works. Your first posts indicated airprint works initially, it means the printer's wireless is connected to the router. Now you 're saying the router cannot see the printer? Your problem is the other way around, the printer cannot see the router. Is that what's happening?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02623193

@bluepoint, I've tried to disconnect my iphone from the wireless network and then reconnect. Unfortunalety this didn't resolve my issue, my phone still says 'no airprinters found'. Both iphone and printer are on the same network SSID.

BTW, my printer (with static IP) is properly connected to the router (wireless), I can print from any windows laptop within the same network at any time. Though airprint doesn't work, so printing from my iphone. When I reboot the router airprint works for 10-20 minutes, after this it the iphone shows 'no airprinters found'.

With Airprint - be on the same subnet and SSID...

Tip - on HP Printers that support AirPrint - go into the HP WebUI, and set it to a static IP (outside of the DHCP scope of the router), this helps...

It's a quirk in their FW (HP's, not Apple or Asus).

My routers IP adress is 192.168.1.1 and I've fixed my printer to 192.168.1.254. It's properly connected but airpirnt just doesn't work. My previous router had no problems at all! Same setup.

can you change to DHCP on printer and set an IP on the router for his MAC-address (try a different one x.x.x.200)?
Dont know, do you have UPnP enabled?

can you change to DHCP on printer and set an IP on the router for his MAC-address (try a different one x.x.x.200)?
Dont know, do you have UPnP enabled?
I've tried several things; set a fixed IP for the printer through the webUI, reserve an IP on the router using mac address etc. but it makes no difference; airpint just doesn't work.

Meanwhile I've found a workaround but it's a rather inconvenient one;
I've put an access point after the Asus AC55U (hardwired), then wirelessly connected the printer to this AP with a fixed IP (This is practicly the same as connecting the printer with an ethernet cable directly to the Asus router I suppose). Airprint does work now..

I've contacted Asus themselves, I'm hoping for a simple software update in the near future (one where you can disable 'airtime fairness' for example).

OP, call ASUS tech support. If it is known bug with this particular router they ought to know about this.

With AirPrint (along with AirPlay/AirPlay2) - it's very dependent on mDNS - which in the free/opensource world is largely handled by avahi.

mDNS - aka Avahi, Bonjour, Rendevous, etc - works when the .local TLDN is not used for DNS - and this is problematic across many platforms - including Windows and many routers where the default hostname ends with the .local TLDN.

It's a bit complicated - MultiCAST DNS, and many get it wrong.