What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello to every one and have a good week, I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this but since it is the latest for DSL-AC68U firmware support I thought to give it a try.
I am trying to find a way on vpn policys ad ports on open vpn client polices so that only specific ports from the same ip go thru the vpn.
I have synology server and I want only my download station to go thru the vpn, because if I put the hole server thru the vpn I can not have remote connection to it, the only way to do that is by specify the port that of the download station app of the servers ip to go thru the vpn and not the hole server.

Unfortunately there is no tab for port selection on vpn client polices in the gui, (that would be very easy).
I asked RMerlin and he said to check on the forums, that there are a number of posts explaining how to do it. Be warned that it's fairly complicated to do however.

The thing is that all the weekend I was searching the forum and I couldn't find anything related to it.
Could someone please help me or point me to the right direction.

thanks in advance guys

Hello to every one and have a good week, I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this but since it is the latest for DSL-AC68U firmware support I thought to give it a try.
I am trying to find a way on vpn policys ad ports on open vpn client polices so that only specific ports from the same ip go thru the vpn.
I have synology server and I want only my download station to go thru the vpn, because if I put the hole server thru the vpn I can not have remote connection to it, the only way to do that is by specify the port that of the download station app of the servers ip to go thru the vpn and not the hole server.

Unfortunately there is no tab for port selection on vpn client polices in the gui, (that would be very easy).
I asked RMerlin and he said to check on the forums, that there are a number of posts explaining how to do it. Be warned that it's fairly complicated to do however.

The thing is that all the weekend I was searching the forum and I couldn't find anything related to it.
Could someone please help me or point me to the right direction.

thanks in advance guys

Presumably this firmware supports custom scripts? -if so then this may be helpful Connect specific QNAP apps only to VPN client on router
The fwmarks have slightly changed since he original post so use
Code:
0x8000     WAN
0x1000     VPN1
0x2000     VPN2
0x4000     VPN3
0x5000     VPN4
0x7000     VPN5
If there are a lot of ports, then you may consider defining them in an IPSET to reduce the number of iptable fwmark rules.

NOTE: If ALL NAS traffic is via the VPN, then you should be able to use the same technique to allow remote access inbound via the WAN.

Does anyone else have this problem with traditional QOS?

I have had this problem when using this release, and also xantiers release.

Anyone gotta fix?
whjat.png

Does anyone else have this problem with traditional QOS?

I have had this problem when using this release, and also xantiers release.

Anyone gotta fix?View attachment 17059
I change mine from adaptive to traditional QOS and checked it, probably there is something wrong with your settings, I don't see any problem with mine.

Brilliant job... seamlessly upgraded from stock, retained all my settings/tweaks which I hadn't expected, temp seems about 10c lower, & wifi thruput similar thou i suspect more stable... need more testing.

Maybe I'm looking in wrong places but still I cannot fimd the place from where I would be able to download binary firmware with latest version.

Maybe I'm looking in wrong places but still I cannot fimd the place from where I would be able to download binary firmware with latest version.
goto post#1, click releases link, d/l DSL-AC68U_384.10_gnuton4_DSL_1.0.4.7.trx, use that as upgrade file & bingo...

First of all a fat big thank you from all of us dsl ac68u users. We have been waiting for this for years and your releases work flawlessly so far.
I use the inbuilt minidlna for media server and was wondering if it is possible to generate thumbnails from the video file cover.
I found this related article https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/patches/92/?page=2 but unfortunately couldn't really make mush sense of it.
Also I tried Plex server with partial success and only on outdated version that couldn't be updated (0.91 i think).
Anyone here has any input on media serving on this router's cpu?

Hi everyone
Is it possible to install any custom firmware on Asus DSL-N16?
Asus released its latest firmware source code.

GPL of ASUS DSL-N16 for firmware 1.1.2.3_617
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-N16/GPL_DSL-N16_1123617.zip

CPU1: MediaTek MT7510 ( 650 MHz )
FLA1: 16 MiB ( Brand? Model?)
RAM1: 64 MiB ( Brand? DDR2)

Expansion IFs: none specified

WI1 chip1: MediaTek MT7592
WI1 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI1 MIMO config: 2x2:2
WI1 antenna connector: RP-SMA

ETH chip1: MediaTek MT7510
LAN speed: 10/100
LAN ports: 4

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_DSL-N16

Thank you.

simply no, or yes if you can do it on your own, nobody is interested doing so much work for nothing or only for you just for fun and a modem worth much less than 50$/€ and poor HW.

Hi,
That router, as well as many other DSL Asus routers, unfortunately, doesn't run AsusWRT.
So you cannot run plain Merlin on it; But with some work, you may manage to get a CFW running on it.

Hi,

I am using asus dsl ac68u at home with a vdsl2 connection which is 50mb download and 4mb upload speed from the provider.

I wanted to install merlinwrt for following things ;

1. set openvpn to a specific ssd
2. install dnscrypt

but dsl versions are not supported with merlin.

now with your modificiton does everything works fine and stable ?

and how to revert back to official firmware if i do not satisfy with the mod ?

now with your modificiton does everything works fine and stable ?

and how to revert back to official firmware if i do not satisfy with the mod ?
Test it and you will see if everything is working like you want to.
Exactly same way like you install this fork. Only choose AsusWRT firmware file to upload with recreation tool (or miniweb).

Test it and you will see if everything is working like you want to.
Exactly same way like you install this fork. Only choose AsusWRT firmware file to upload with recreation tool (or miniweb).

What is miniweb ?

Can i just upload official firmware file from asus web gui firmware upgrade button to revert back to official ? Problem free.

What is miniweb ?

Can i just upload official firmware file from asus web gui firmware upgrade button to revert back to official ? Problem free.
GNUton wrote yes you can, so it should work.
But sometimes its better or necessary to do bigger changes via Asus restauration tool or miniweb (server shown after factory reset to upload firmware file), look at John's Merlin-fork thread what it is and how to use it.
If everything ok there's no need for it!
Nobody can know which firmware release you are using right now and how old it is, could be 4 years and even more.
So as first step you should load recent AsusWRT, than the change to GNUton's Merlin build wont be that relevant.

Last edited:
GNUton wrote yes you can, so it should work.
But sometimes its better or necessary to do bigger changes via Asus restauration tool or miniweb (server shown after factory reset to upload firmware file), look at John's Merlin-fork thread what it is and how to use it.
If everything ok there's no need for it!
Nobody can know which firmware release you are using right now and how old it is, could be 4 years and even more.
So as first step you should load recent AsusWRT, than the change to GNUton's Merlin build wont be that relevant.

Thanks.

I am using the latest version of asuswrt.

I need this custom firmware for ssid based dns address config.

For example i want to make ssid1 to use a dns server whereas ssid2 for another dns server.

Thanks.

I am using the latest version of asuswrt.
I need this custom firmware for ssid based dns address config.
For example i want to make ssid1 to use a dns server whereas ssid2 for another dns server.

See my earlier post and the link inside it - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/#post-479134
Then take a look at my signature - every add-on mentioned there works on my DSL-AC68U. No issues - simple migration without losing AsusWRT settings.

I have not attempted to do what you want to do - but search the forum ... many posts on configuring multiple DNS settings, but not sure if any apply at SSID level unless you use YazFi guest setup where it would be easy.

Hello, I'm new here. I found this thread because I was looking for a way to route my DSL-AC68U vpn between lan and wifi.

My firmware version is this: (copy-pasted from admin page)
DSL Firmware Version 1.0.4.7
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.2.10_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2

AiMesh router
DSL-AC68U Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_56087-ga1d12f2

I have a few questions:

1. The modem have 4 wifis. 2G and 5G for guest wifi and 2G and 5G for normal wifi. Is it possible to route VPN to only one of these? So I could have VPN on a specific wifi and have direct internet on others?
2. Does it have any negative effect on the modem health? By that I mean does it put extra pressure on the modem to manage VPN and direct internet simultaneously?
3. According to my current firmware version, do I need to do factory reset? or can I just just upload the firmware? (downloaded from first page of this thread)
4. After the upgrade, will I be able to upgrade future asus updates or will I be locked out of upgrade from asus official?

Thanks for your time

1. maybe with scripts (others needed to answer)
2. NO
3. no, but you should do factory reset if you go back to AsusWRT (as Merlin told us)
4. see 3.

Last edited: