What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The cautionary from @GNUton was clear - which is why I held off on the alpha 2 until ample time to play with the alpha [expect issues]
If you went ahead after reading my post above - then :rolleyes: ...

While router is powered on - press and hold the reset button for at least 6 seconds - then press the power button and hold it in while still hanging onto the reset button ... wait until the power LED blinks slowly - then release. Run Rescue program asap with Asus Stock firmware selected. Do not restore settings from backup - reconfigure manually.

I suggest you stick with GNUton 384.14_0 stable release - it is rock steady if carefully an correctly configured.

The cautionary was followed, thus why i beta test the builds.

i'd already sorted the router hours ago by the way, no need for the cocky know it all response coco.

The cautionary was followed, thus why i beta test the builds.

i'd already sorted the router hours ago by the way, no need for the cocky know it all response coco.

How did you fix it? I've tried firmware restore tool and tftp to put both stock and stable on the router and both keep failing to transfer.

Sorry for this guys. I removed alpha2 from github.

Did alpha2 change the partition size? I can't put firmware bigger than around 33mb now after alpha2. Flashed ddwrt for rt-ac68u at 28mb and it worked to let me see a web gui, but anything above 33mb fails to flash from the recovery tool. Can't find dsl-ac68u stock firmware within that size, not sure how I can get back now.

Did alpha2 change the partition size? I can't put firmware bigger than around 33mb now after alpha2. Flashed ddwrt for rt-ac68u at 28mb and it worked to let me see a web gui, but anything above 33mb fails to flash from the recovery tool. Can't find dsl-ac68u stock firmware within that size, not sure how I can get back now.

This is the latest Alpha1:
admin@DSL-AC68U-CC88:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 32.1M 32.1M 0 100% /
devtmpfs 124.7M 0 124.7M 0% /dev
tmpfs 124.8M 980.0K 123.9M 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 62.8M 5.7M 57.0M 9% /jffs
admin@DSL-AC68U-CC88:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 32896 32896 0 100% /
devtmpfs 127732 0 127732 0% /dev
tmpfs 127836 976 126860 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 64256 5864 58392 9% /jffs

Last edited:
I do not remember who, but somebody asked me about my plans related to 384.15 for our lovely router.
I have not tested the latest features yet, but I'm building a 384.15 pre-release right now.

UPDATE:
I flashed 384.15_0-gnuton0_alpha1 on my router and it seems to work for me.

Last edited:

I managed to flash an old merlin RT-AC68U firmware that was small enough (<35mb) not to crash the recovery tool, from there with access to the WebGUI I was able to enable SSH and FTP transfer 384.15_0-gnuton0_alpha1 then flash with mrt-write2.

However internet access via the DSL connection said it was connected but ethernet wan was saying it was not connected, I then tried 384.14_0-gnuton1 and that had the same issue with internet access, so reverted to 3.0.0.4_384_81981 and factory reset settings and everything is back working again. Will try again when I have time.

FWIW:
Latest stock firmware introduces Aimesh-NODE support as child over LAN on DSL-AC68U.
So it is possible now to reuse this modemrouter as Aimesh node with Wifi AND LAN backhaul!

direct download link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_300438481981.zip
GPL 81981: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/GPL_DSL_AC68U_300438481981.zip
Version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 2019/12/31
ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81981 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
DSL:
- Added ADSL profile for Lebanon ISP Ogero.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Improved the USB Application page.
- Fixed kernel panic by kernel l2tp.
- Fixed missing some routing rules.
- Fixed the issue of OpenVPN client over PPTP/L2TP WAN.
- Improved for OpenVPN client not stopped correctly.
- Improved monotonic time of pppd/rp-pppoe/rp-l2tp.
- Improved server route handling of PPTP/L2TP.
- Fixed AiMesh related issues.
- Fixed ddns server replacing in the exported client profile of OpenVPN server.
- Improved the flow of checking Let's Encrypt at boot up.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt issue with uppercase domain.
- Improved the web page after updated Let's Encrypt certificate.
- Improved feedback and live update if network is unstable.
- Fixed incorrect routing rule of wan.
- Updated dnsmasq to 2.80-95-g1aef66b, fix CNAME loop.
- Fixed PPTP/L2TP reconnection issue.
- Fixed sometimes feedback failed.
- Updated odhcp6c to 1.1-97-ge199804
- Improved nvram space shortage which caused some configuration missing after reboot.

I managed to flash an old merlin RT-AC68U firmware that was small enough (<35mb) not to crash the recovery tool, from there with access to the WebGUI I was able to enable SSH and FTP transfer 384.15_0-gnuton0_alpha1 then flash with mrt-write2.

However internet access via the DSL connection said it was connected but ethernet wan was saying it was not connected, I then tried 384.14_0-gnuton1 and that had the same issue with internet access, so reverted to 3.0.0.4_384_81981 and factory reset settings and everything is back working again. Will try again when I have time.
Good to hear you solve the issue. Could you elaborate more about the issue you find out with the firmware versions? Were you using a Dual WAN?

Could you elaborate more about the issue you find out with the firmware versions? Were you using a Dual WAN?

I wasn't using Dual WAN. I was using the default setup wizard for configuring DSL and did the same steps as I did on stock to get internet working. I was not getting any internet access with the gnuton builds. WebGUI would show DSL as being setup and connected but there was an issue with DHCP so no internet access available. Might have been because I didn't factory reset settings after flashing gnuton over stock.

I do not remember who, but somebody asked me about my plans related to 384.15 for our lovely router.
I have not tested the latest features yet, but I'm building a 384.15 pre-release right now.

UPDATE:

this release works fine, also the connection bug is no longer present, very stable. cheers.

Hi there, I have been looking for alternative firmware for this router for years, Finaly I found you, nice job.
I would like to know which DSL modem firmware are you using in this ?
Its the same as in the official ? Or you its based on official but you tweaked it little bit ?
Is there any difference you can feel in dsl part in compare with official ? (better parameters, more stable, etc ?)

Thank you

@winter2, the first post explains all. :)

@winter2, the first post explains all. :)
Thank you for your reply, before I posted I checked that and there he is only writing about merlin stuff and I cant find anything there about DSL part, and also post is like few months old so it could changed over time.

@winter2, there are only 24 pages of replies in this thread, easy enough to read/skim/search the whole topic if the first post doesn't give you the information you want. :)

Thank you for your reply, before I posted I checked that and there he is only writing about merlin stuff and I cant find anything there about DSL part, and also post is like few months old so it could changed over time.

I'm on 384.14_0-gnuton1 and :

DSL Firmware Version 1.0.4.9
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.2.11_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2

@lorenzo999, you'll need one of these:

camden.jpg